Interesting Testing Done with Online Scanners

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi @Anupam I have used every thing but HerdProtect. And your choices are better than theirs.;)

try it. It has 68 scan engines. So anything detected by any of those 68 Antiviruses will be caught with single scan. ;). Also it's free, portable, has nice UI, fast scan and removal is very good. Hopefully they promised to add Realtime Scanner very soon.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Wow! A free real time scanner would be nice. Although I'm not giving up my life time license of MBAM Pro.
MBAM has saved my arse a few times also.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I use the same four as @Anupam on his good advice he is a wise man. :)

wise_old_man.jpg

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Strangely I don't use none of them. For me my on-demans scanners are

1. Hitman Pro
2. HerdProtect
3. MBAM Free
4. EEK

And my choice is better than theirs :p

These are not online scanners, so they are not considered in the article. But yes, they should be better than online scanners because they are installed locally and have higher system priveledges than online scanners.

I don't use any on demand scanners or online scanners. I prefer sweeping for malware the manual way with tools like Mandiant Redline (memory forensics) as it is more thorough :D The manual way is more time consuming, so I run them only rarely. To me all these online scanners etc. are not useful at all because my computer is almost impossible to be infected. I have configured my computer's security polices and security systems to be almost watertight by following those guidlines from ASD and NIST.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
These are not online scanners, so they are not considered in the article. But yes, they should be better than online scanners because they are installed locally and have higher system priveledges than online scanners.

I don't use any on demand scanners or online scanners. I prefer sweeping for malware the manual way with tools like Mandiant Redline (memory forensics) as it is more thorough :D The manual way is more time consuming, so I run them only rarely. To me all these online scanners etc. are not useful at all because my computer is almost impossible to be infected. I have configured my computer's security polices and security systems to be almost watertight by following those guidlines from ASD and NIST.
If you read again it says on demand scanners on @Anupam post not online.;)

Reactions: donetao and Cch123

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
ummmm these programs are intended for situations like bad infection and i mentioned them just because they are the updated version of those mentioned in the list... hey my dear @donetao be carefull... just install software if it is advised by a tech guy.. or if you know what are you doing... use a virtual machine to avoid any kind of problems... For my, stinger is neither a good tool nor a total cr*p, i tested before and it didnt gave me problems... remember that windows doesnt like when we install and uninstall programs.... you may get in a real troubble :D . well hope this help you and thanks ´cuz i know that you are doing this as an act of good faith..

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
No problem my friend @gricardo21 I have no idea what went wrong. Maybe I got in a big hurry.
The program seemed to lock up after 30 minutes and I didn't like the idea of not being able to uninstall, delete or open the files.
No harm my friend. Macrium has restored me back and My PC is working great. I'm always looking for software programs that will help me help my seniors. I may even give it another try in the future.
Thank you for your replies on this thread. All is well in Okie land.;):)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Oops read the posts too fast :)
Not a problem! I do that all the time! This has been a good thread and I appreciate every MT member that replied.
I get in trouble when I say this, but I say it any way.:( We have members on MT that like to talk about other things beside anti-virus testing programs and free give away programs, even though that's the reason Jack started this site. TwinHeadedEagal and Argus do a hell of a job helping members clean malware from their PC's. I try my best to add threads that I think might help and inform MT members and give the rest of us here some thing to respond to.:( I always get good responses and I appreciate that!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
when windows is not able to open a program... it may indicate that the registry was messed up.. most of the times the program can not start because an instance of it is still running in the background and is not responding.. that is why i told you to be carefull while dealing with programs.. specially those who are intended to detect malware

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I have one more reply and observation before hitting the hay. After trying the McAfee on line scanner, I tried to restore to a earlier time.
I was not successful. Very strange that I only have restore points dated 1/1/2015. I have not deleted any restore points.
The restore points only let me restore to the date that I using the McAfee scanner. Also a windows 7 backup image did not complete. The W7 back up image just completed successful. Call me crazy if you like. I will now create a restore point and delete these.
Capture48.JPG

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Hi I have one more reply and observation before hitting the hay. After trying the McAfee on line scanner, I tried to restore to a earlier time.
I was not successful. Very strange that I only have restore points dated 1/1/2015. I have not deleted any restore points.
The restore points only let me restore to the date that I using the McAfee scanner. Also a windows 7 backup image did not complete. The W7 back up image just completed successful. Call me crazy if you like. I will now create a restore point and delete these.View attachment 39734

Actually, you have no need to worry. PkgCatalog.z is for Stinger to know what needs to be downloaded (like any definitions etc.). Not sure about .mcs files though, but since it is commonly found in Mcafee installations I assume it is some kind of installation database/script used by Mcafee. .DAT files are database files used by Mcafee. Mcafee is notorious for having many files, so you would have some problems if you would want to manually find and delete all the files left behind by Stinger :) Is there any removal tool/option by Stinger?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.