As stated above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Flushed DNS
Changed DNS to google public DNS
Updated router
checked for updates on drivers
Cleared cache
Hello all!

The symptoms started a week or two ago, my chrome would just suddenly say "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" and my whole laptop would just not connect to the internet, including my other applications (outlook etc). However my computer would still think that it was connected to the internet because there is not exclamation mark on the wifi tray. I would go to click on troubleshoot internet on the bottom right to see if it could find the issue but to no avail. But after that the internet would just come back and be perfectly fine again.
I don't know if this is helpful but I started using CyberGhost about 2 months ago but even after I disabled the programme and the adapter it was using I have still been experiencing these issues. I do not know what is the trigger, as far as I know they are random and I cannot reproduce them, they just happen on their own.

If you have any ideas how i can go about troubleshooting it would be greatly appreciated! :)

L

LabZero

Err name not resolved indicates that fails to connect to the server (domain name system DSN)
The issue is not with the connectivity of internet but the DNS
Then set the dns servers on the automatic assignment so you can check if the problem is there.
A question ,do you changed DNS in the modem/router?

Upvote 0

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I had the same problem using Tp-link router. The router was working nice but then suddenly the internet started cutting off from time to time. I even updated a new router firmware but it didn't solve this issue. Some days ago I purchased a new Tp-link router and now the internet works nice. So, don't forget to check your modem/router

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

Thanks I am trying it now! I take it as I should run it when the internet cuts? Or do I just run it now even when I have an internet connection?

Two possibilities occur to me. How did you disable cyberghost? See if there's a service still starting, at MSCONFIG.

Second, are you on wireless? When you updated the router it may have selected a different channel, and there may be interference from a neighbor.

There is no startup entry on MSCONFIG, I disabled by closing it and disabling the TAP V9 adapter it downloaded. I have my channel set to auto, I remember there being a software that can check the channels of my surrounding WiFis i just can't remember what's it called

Err name not resolved indicates that fails to connect to the server (domain name system DSN)
The issue is not with the connectivity of internet but the DNS
Then set the dns servers on the automatic assignment so you can check if the problem is there.
A question ,do you changed DNS in the modem/router?

I have set it to automatic and I run into the issue as well therefore the switch to google public DNS.
I don't think I've changed the router DNS but I'll give it a check.

Taking a look at it now! Thanks a bunch!

This works me everytime
  • change DNS servers to default provider.
  • Restart router
  • Restart PC
  • clean cache
  • change back DNS servers to Google/OpenDNS Servers

Alright thanks I will try this!

I had the same problem using Tp-link router. The router was working nice but then suddenly the internet started cutting off from time to time. I even updated a new router firmware but it didn't solve this issue. Some days ago I purchased a new Tp-link router and now the internet works nice. So, don't forget to check your modem/router

Hmmm what a coincidence I'm using a TP link router too, 750N to be exact.

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I think inSSIDer checks the channel. But Klipsh is probably right about DNS being the first line of inquiry.
Hmmm my DNS on router is set to 0.0.0.0 which probably mean default settings

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
The way I have mine set up is to set the router to the desired DNS servers (openDNS in my case, which is fast and allows me to filter some kinds of sites), and then let all the local machines point to the router for DNS, which they do by default. Everything is centralized and easier that way.

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
The way I have mine set up is to set the router to the desired DNS servers (openDNS in my case, which is fast and allows me to filter some kinds of sites), and then let all the local machines point to the router for DNS, which they do by default. Everything is centralized and easier that way.
So say if I want to use Google public DNS, I just key them in to my router settings and have my laptop settings to be automatic so it takes my router's settings?

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
BTW, I have to wonder about letting google know every domain one visits.
Thanks for your help! Hahahah yeah I'm thinking about Norton DNS as well, do you have any you recommend?

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I've had openDNS for years and it's been absolutely flawless. Fast, reliable, and if you set up an account you can filter sites individually or en masse by genre. And since I have a lot of machines coming and going here, having the router as the DNS spec point saves a lot of hassle.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I've had openDNS for years and it's been absolutely flawless. Fast, reliable, and if you set up an account you can filter sites individually or en masse by genre. And since I have a lot of machines coming and going here, having the router as the DNS spec point saves a lot of hassle.
Great I'll check it out! Thanks for the help! :)

Upvote 0

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Have you check your router/modem indicator light?

When your router works properly, its data transfer indicator lights should blink intermittently or remain constantly lit. If your router’s lights are not lit, but you are still able to connect to the device, this could be an early sign that the router is breaking down. These indicator lights should always blink, even when it’s not providing access to any of its connected devices.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.