Help Me Decide Internet Security: Comodo 10 VS Kaspersky 2017

Discussion in 'Compare Apps Archive' started by LukeNukesEm, Jan 26, 2017.

?

What is most secure? Comodo or Kaspersky?

1. Kaspersky

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Comodo

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Other (Please explain what and why)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. LukeNukesEm

LukeNukesEm Level 5

Sep 14, 2016
    The Moon
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    #1 LukeNukesEm, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Now I know there are a ton of kaspersky fanboys here (including myself) but I want to compare the 2 most secure suites (IMO). Kaspersky VS Comodo. I don't really care about signature protection, I'm more for features, behavior blocking, and firewalls. So excluding signature protecton, which would be the most secure? (Note I also have HMPA and VoodooShield, so any features equivalent to those don't matter to me).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, please do not be biased.

PCGamer, vivid, AtlBo and 4 others like this.
  2. Rengar

Rengar Level 14

Jan 6, 2017
    Greece
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    Comodo FW of course. The autosandbox is unigue and stops everything, trust me i know :)

vivid, AtlBo, LukeNukesEm and 3 others like this.
  3. pablozi

pablozi Level 22
    Trusted

Jun 14, 2011
    Null Island
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    If you already use VS and HMPA I wouldn't go any step further and stay with them as whitelisting is much easier to maintain and more secure than any sandbox or bb.
    I don't know if you also really need a FW since built in Windows firewall is more than enough for home use.
    But it's your show :rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_, XhenEd, AtlBo and 5 others like this.
  4. tonibalas

tonibalas Level 38
    Trusted

Sep 26, 2014
    You can use KAV with CFW.
    This would be a great combo, you will take advantage the features of 2 great software;)

XhenEd, AtlBo, Evjl's Rain and 3 others like this.
  5. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    once you have voodooshield, you have default/deny already. So COMODO will not really add very much to your protection, unless you are really into tweaking your firewall rules, or you like to play with sandboxed apps.

so in your case, Kaspersky will add more to your protection, because it is very strong in BB.

PCGamer, XhenEd, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  6. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    If you exclude behavior blocking, then the autosandbox with the firewall set to block unknown applications will provide greater default security. Answer: COMODO

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Level 22

Dec 29, 2014
    Qihoo 360
    One advantage of some of the best protection suites is system protection. Aside from the anti-malware/anti-virus aspect, some of them do a great job looking after sensitive areas of Windows. This is helpful in regards to the performance of the PC long term. I don't know personally, but I imagine Kaspersky will provide excellent system protection. Comodo is bullet-proof against malware if the user follows the advice of prompts, and they are generally very good and apply the correct pressure. Not going to get system protection to speak of, though. HIPs helps with this, but Comodo's HIPs don't compare to the system-wide protection of even 360 Total Security...the only BB I can speak for at this point. Fairly sure Kaspersky will beat this and I think Emsisoft will surely beat this, too.

If you want HIPs, you can add HIPs with ReHIPS or something. Not that Comodo isn't good. Looking under the hood, the program is even a dice clever. I admit this surprised me some. Comodo devs have done a good job of thinking things through in a number of meaningful ways. Beyond this though, Kaspersky gives a different flexibility that might be more valuable if you can only choose one, and if you have money to spend. This is close, and I thought after using Comodo Firewall for a few days that this version might be an alert for companies like Kaspersky. Not that they will lose anyone over Comodo, but what about 2 versions from now, when the settings are all understandable by anyone and linked conveninently.

Kaspersky but Comodo is on the map for home use. Not sure where they are with their enterprise products.

8. LukeNukesEm

LukeNukesEm Level 5

Sep 14, 2016
    The Moon
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    My bad, ment signatures.

Yash Khan likes this.
  9. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    #9 Lockdown, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    If you remove signatures, then it is close. K has better behavior blocking, whereas C has its autosandboxing based upon file reputation. It has Viruscope too - which is similar to K's System Watcher. I think K's System Watcher is more capable than C's Viruscope.

For behavior blocking to work, you have to execute the file - and hope the behavioral algorithms detect and prevent damage. K also applies restrictions to unknown\low reputation files by assigning them to Low and High Restricted. You can further tighten the policy restrictions manually for those groups. In short, K uses policy sandboxes.

With autosandboxing, the file is executed in a virtual container. In C you can also tighten the restriction policies in the sandbox. So you have both a virtual and policy sandbox.

Oh my... which is more robust ?

Answer: virtual container (sandbox) gives COMODO and edge

10. Zero Knowledge

Zero Knowledge Level 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Dark Cloud Universe
    Kaspersky. No competition. They have a track record in having the best detection rates in the industry. Great exploit prevention.

Comodo is not a security company. Their main business is selling SSL certificates.They only release security software to pimp SSL cert sales.

PCGamer, XhenEd, AtlBo and 1 other person like this.
  11. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Somewhere underwater or over water. I am water!
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    @Lockdown What about behavioral blocking to stop unknown behaviors of trusted programs?

Yash Khan, XhenEd and AtlBo like this.
  12. TerrakionSmash

TerrakionSmash Level 16

Nov 17, 2016
    Somewhere underwater or over water. I am water!
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    CF has a more convenient outbound firewall though but I agree that it wouldn't add much but the number of programs is still one integer more. CF's auto-sandboxing is really good though and I find it more convenient than VoodooShield Free.

13. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    #13 Lockdown, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    That's the whole concept of trusted programs - over time their default behaviors have proven to be trustworthy. Generally, they aren't monitored. What and how they are monitored varies from product to product.

However, more than a few Windows processes can be abused by malware - hence the terminology "vulnerable processes." Interpreters are a prime example. Emsisoft uses a command line parser as part of their behavior blocker (you'd have to ask Fabian Wosar for the nitty-gritty on it).

Good programs to deal with vulnerable processes are software restriction policies, anti-executables, and HIPS. Using these you can disable, restrict and\or monitor vulnerable processes.

For the high-risk, click-happy user group, processes like powershell, wscript, cscript, RegAsm, etc are a menace and should be disabled, monitored and run with restricted privileges. Actually, if you have no need of vulnerable processes, then they should simply be disabled.

There's a few strategies to deal with it - each involving a certain set of inconveniences. Nothing too annoying. The minor inconvenience is well worth the much increased security.

14. vivid

vivid Level 5

Dec 8, 2014
    You should also check (Comodo) Secure Shopping that's offered with CIS10. It's probably the best out there. They did a comparison on their forums with all the popular ones.

15. Spawn

Spawn Administrator
    Staff Member Content Creator

Jan 8, 2011
    Sponsored by COMODO, or Independent?

16. vivid

vivid Level 5

Dec 8, 2014
    It's a component that is offered with CIS at installation. (It is designed for CIS package.)
    Not third-party. (It's based on their enterprise product and it is offered for free.)

Yash Khan, XhenEd and AtlBo like this.
  17. conceptualclarity

Content Creator Trusted

Aug 23, 2013
    USA
    ESET
    Involves a special shopping brower with no extensions?

Yash Khan, AtlBo and XhenEd like this.
  18. vivid

vivid Level 5

Dec 8, 2014
    Not really. It's a secure environment where you can run any application and perform secure transactions. I've tested it for quite some time and it's very good.

Comparison from Comodo forums (for users that are not members there; I think it was posted on MT.. not very sure):
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img922/9965/b4dj8Z.png

Yash Khan, AtlBo and XhenEd like this.
  19. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    In addition to @Lockdown's post, if you enable Trusted Applications Mode, Kaspersky creates two folders in the Application Control's Trusted list: Additionally Controlled, and Control created Programs. Based on TAM's documentation, I presume that all programs that are in these folders are monitored. These programs are not allowed to do things outside their designed operations. In this way, TAM acts similar to AppGuard's MemoryGuard. :)

Yash Khan, tonibalas, AtlBo and 2 others like this.
  20. LukeNukesEm

LukeNukesEm Level 5

Sep 14, 2016
    The Moon
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    You must've not read the description haha. I am not looking for signature protection, I am looking for a more secure, complex setup.

Yash Khan, AtlBo, vivid and 1 other person like this.