IObit is Scummy

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Again, this is the exact reason Driver Booster broke my system. It found an updated version of the same driver but it wasn't officially supported by my laptop manufacturer so wasn't compatible with my device but Driver Booster installed it anyway resulted in broken system. I had to reinstall Windows.
Something you didn't adjust correctly in the program. It never give drivers if is not for your system

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
This is the reason one should not mess with installing driver updating software.

Again, this is the exact reason Driver Booster broke my system. It found an updated version of the same driver but it wasn't officially supported by my laptop manufacturer so wasn't compatible with my device but Driver Booster installed it anyway resulted in broken system. I had to reinstall Windows.

This happened to me too. Not with Driver Booster, but with another driver update software.

Which goes back to the point.... use caution with this type of product. Or maybe don't use it at all..

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
They make some excellent software, aside from their terrible antivirus. But I agree with you. I note that recent versions of Driver Booster include a file which runs a scan in the background for problems with your system and then shows a popup, which lists how much junk files and problems with your system you could fix by installing Advanced SystemCare.

However, there are a few positive things I can say about their software. Driver Booster unlike a lot of alternatives, rarely finds incompatible driver updates and the free version offers almost at much functionality as the paid Pro version. The registry cleaner in Advanced SystemCare won't delete valid registry keys, unlike just about every other registry cleaner, including CCleaner. But, it did have issues with false positives, until I helped them fix it. IObit Uninstaller can scan for leftovers after rebooting. This was a feature I requested. I have no idea if they were already planning to implement it.

I have to agree with Roger, their software is pretty good, and the GUI is always easy to use. The drivers are never wrong either.

But I think driver easy is the best

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
I'm so happy I got wiser when it came to computer software to ditch IObit products. Used to use Driver Booster but since I download drivers manually now, I don't have a use for their crummy products :)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I am shocked people use snake oil from Iobit.
Well it's much quicker and easier than manually download and installing drivers.
I have to agree with Roger, their software is pretty good, and the GUI is always easy to use. The drivers are never wrong either.

But I think driver easy is the best
There's not much difference between Driver Booster and Driver Easy, in terms of the size of the driver database, but the accuracy of matching drivers, is probably slightly better in Driver Easy. However the free version of Driver Easy is quite limited compared to the paid version, as it requires all drivers to be installed manually.

One important difference is that the Driver Easy, unlike most driver update software, is published by a trustworthy company. They even gave me a free license, after I suggested that they remove some misleading advertising from their website.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Well it's much quicker and easier than manually download and installing drivers.

There's not much difference between Driver Booster and Driver Easy, in terms of the size of the driver database, but the accuracy of matching drivers, is probably slightly better in Driver Easy. However the free version of Driver Easy is quite limited compared to the paid version, as it requires all drivers to be installed manually.

One important difference is that the Driver Easy, unlike most driver update software, is published by a trustworthy company. They even gave me a free license, after I suggested that they remove some misleading advertising from their website.

Alright Roger, I'll take a look at Driver Easy.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Just my take here: Having no issues whatever with this Win 10 install, I did an Reflect Image & out of interest RE: This thread I installed Driver Booster & let it do its stuff, there were dire warnings to update & install Pro as my NVIDIA driver was exploitable (I didn't) - Anyway I ran the PC for a couple of days having had many drivers updated yet no discernible improvements including network speeds etc.

O&O Defrag latest did have issues running slowly, nothing was improved - Anyway as there were unwanted bits & RougeKiller found bits of malware I decided to image back as I saw no improvements to a state I knew worked OK. For the first time I can remember Reflect failed running Windows PE? and I got a repeated black screen.

This required using a boot medium & went back a few days & all is well - My initial assessment it messed up a really well working PC & as there were no backups made by the program? (As I could boot into damaged Windows with Boost changes) - I often think leave well alone, if its running well leave it? As it was I always have images but others may not have but this was just my experience. Could be a one off? Never again :)

EDIT: For fairness to me & a morbid fascination, I'm going to do the same thing again tomorrow & see if the same issues occur as other factors could have been involved? If I'm never seen on here again, well..? :cry: Of course nothing is proved apart from it may cause issues on this PC.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.