IObit is Scummy

RodM1956

Level 4
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Just my take here: Having no issues whatever with this Windows 10 install, I did an Reflect Image & out of interest RE: This thread I installed Driver Booster & let it do its stuff, there were dire warnings to update & install Pro as my NVIDIA driver was exploitable (I didn't) - Anyway I ran the PC for a couple of days having had many drivers updated yet no discernible improvements including network speeds etc.

O&O Defrag latest did have issues running slowly, nothing was improved - Anyway as there were unwanted bits & RougeKiller found bits of malware I decided to image back as I saw no improvements to a state I knew worked OK. For the first time I can remember Reflect failed running Windows PE? and I got a repeated black screen.

This required using a boot medium & went back a few days & all is well - My initial assessment it messed up a really well working PC & as there were no backups made by the program? (As I could boot into damaged Windows with Boost changes) - I often think leave well alone, if its running well leave it? As it was I always have images but others may not have but this was just my experience. Could be a one off? Never again :)

EDIT: For fairness to me & a morbid fascination, I'm going to do the same thing again tomorrow & see if the same issues occur as other factors could have been involved? If I'm never seen on here again, well..? :cry: Of course nothing is proved apart from it may cause issues on this PC.

Sounds like you have other problems, not associated with driver updates.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
They make some excellent software, aside from their terrible antivirus. But I agree with you. I note that recent versions of Driver Booster include a file which runs a scan in the background for problems with your system and then shows a popup, which lists how much junk files and problems with your system you could fix by installing Advanced SystemCare.

However, there are a few positive things I can say about their software. Driver Booster unlike a lot of alternatives, rarely finds incompatible driver updates and the free version offers almost at much functionality as the paid Pro version. The registry cleaner in Advanced SystemCare won't delete valid registry keys, unlike just about every other registry cleaner, including CCleaner. But, it did have issues with false positives, until I helped them fix it. IObit Uninstaller can scan for leftovers after rebooting. This was a feature I requested. I have no idea if they were already planning to implement it.
do they make it or steal it? you can not trust a known crook. they have been caught and implicated in several shady businesses practises that would have landed them in jail if they were on lawful land. people using these unscrupulous software companies is why there are so many hacks. the power station in the city I live in has banned this software from their employees' business laptops.

B

BVLon

do they make it or steal it? you can not trust a known crook. they have been caught and implicated in several shady businesses practises that would have landed them in jail if they were on lawful land. people using these unscrupulous software companies is why there are so many hacks. the power station in the city I live in has banned this software from their employees' business laptops.
Do not trust any chinese software, be it a system utility, antivirus or whatever.
Over the years I've seen tens of chinese antiviruses - Rising, Tencent, Baidu, Qihoo, Kingsoft... all of them are shady, all of them collect and sell data. All of them poorly documented. I don't install anything that doesn't come with proper help files and explanation.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Iobit Uninstaller is the only product that works well so far. I use the portable version when some softs can't uninstall properly.

Do not trust any chinese software, be it a system utility, antivirus or whatever.
Over the years I've seen tens of chinese antiviruses - Rising, Tencent, Baidu, Qihoo, Kingsoft... all of them are shady, all of them collect and sell data. All of them poorly documented. I don't install anything that doesn't come with proper help files and explanation.
I disagree, indeed some are shady, but others are very well made and are reference in their field. Heard about Shadow Defender?
I rather use Shadow Defender than Comodo, Avast, or Cylance crap...

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

you do not trust Chinese software yet you use a computer with most all components and assembly in China
the firmware is all embed software and Chinese made too
you have a funny sense of trust

edit: Chinese mfrs have been caught many times since even the earliest Shenzhen days with their implanted backdoors, embed surveil software and firmware, keyloggers but yet the world continues to use Chinese made devices :unsure:
that is stupid as it gets
says a lot about all of us out here pointing at the Chinese
need to look in the mirror

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

How can people can say Chinese products are shady, when they profit from the services from MS, Facebook, Apple, and Google looooool. You can't find more shady and privacy intrusive corporations than that. Reason they are on top of the food chain. If they had ethics, they wouldn't be what they are...look at Mozilla who market shares crumble into pieces, they even tried to introduce ads to save themselves and were severely burned lol.

Personally I don't care from where and how the companies are if their software fit my needs.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
do they make it or steal it?
They definitely they did not steal it. I've used many different system utilities and driver updaters and none of them give the same results as IObit's software does.
Over the years I've seen tens of chinese antiviruses - Rising, Tencent, Baidu, Qihoo, Kingsoft... all of them are shady, all of them collect and sell data.
Where is your proof that every Chinese antivirus is shady and sells your data? Just because you don't like Chinese software, it does not mean that it is all bad.
All of them poorly documented. I don't install anything that doesn't come with proper help files and explanation.
This is not an issue for me, as I usually don't read help files. Usually the only time I do, is if can't find how to access the quarantine, to restore files I want to keep. But I don't think I've ever had any trouble finding this on a Chinese antivirus anyway.

Anyway, I'm typing this on a Chinese laptop, running Chinese antivirus software connected by WiFi to a Chinese powerline adapter which is getting its data from my Chinese router. I have a Chinese phone too. I guess the Chinese must know everything about me :ROFLMAO:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
They definitely they did not steal it. I've used many different system utilities and driver updaters and none of them give the same results as IObit's software does.

Where is your proof that every Chinese antivirus is shady and sells your data? Just because you don't like Chinese software, it does not mean that it is all bad.

This is not an issue for me, as I usually don't read help files. Usually the only time I do, is if can't find how to access the quarantine, to restore files I want to keep. But I don't think I've ever had any trouble finding this on a Chinese antivirus anyway.

Anyway, I'm typing this on a Chinese laptop, running Chinese antivirus software connected by WiFi to a Chinese powerline adapter which is getting its data from my Chinese router. I have a Chinese phone too. I guess the Chinese must know everything about me :ROFLMAO:
They know everything about me too,I"m being tracked ,by suspicious looking orientals,They're after my social security number ,my garbage can has been ransacked by eager beavers looking for clues,even using Kaspersky to peer into my apartment no doubt

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I find it surprising that someone who uses NordVPN is worried about shady software companies. It doesn’t get shadier than Nord.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Do not judge a product by its country, it has nothing to do with the efficiency of it.

IObit in particular I dislike, but there are many great chinese companies out there. A country may tell you about local laws or what companies who base there are tied to, but being shady or coding like crap has nothing to do with location. I even bet Asia has the best programmers out there.

B

BVLon

Where is your proof that any of them is actually offering a quality solution with your privacy in mind?
How did you decide they don't steal? You've inspected every line of code and compared it to others?
Just because you don't read documentation doesn't mean that it should be non-existent. If you are expecting me to spring xx quid on software x, you better explain me every setting, every feature and every use case.
I did not comment on Chinese laptops, adaptors, routers or phones. I said that Chinese companies are shady due to the missing regulations and policy of communism in China and everyone with basic knowledge in geography and history will tell you the same.
Feel free to continue using IOBit.

what are you doing using Windows then ?
anybody that knows anything associated IT knows Microsoft documentation is almost non exist
Microsoft's documentation is literally half of Microsoft's website and all over the web. Have you been interested in reading it?

I find it surprising that someone who uses NordVPN is worried about shady software companies. It doesn’t get shadier than Nord.
I use NordVPN on a laptop that's dedicated for malware testing. What's Nord gonna steal? Threat samples?

Being a fanboy is one, but defending a company that's clearly pushing low-quality products with no proven benefit and based on plagiarism, is totally different.

Do not judge a product by its country, it has nothing to do with the efficiency of it.

IObit in particular I dislike, but there are many great chinese companies out there. A country may tell you about local laws or what companies who base there are tied to, but being shady or coding like crap has nothing to do with location. I even bet Asia has the best programmers out there.

Really? Name one of these great Chinese software companies.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Where is your proof that any of them is actually offering a quality solution with your privacy in mind?
How did you decide they don't steal? You've inspected every line of code and compared it to others?
Just because you don't read documentation doesn't mean that it should be non-existent. If you are expecting me to spring xx quid on software x, you better explain me every setting, every feature and every use case.
I did not comment on Chinese laptops, adaptors, routers or phones. I said that Chinese companies are shady due to the missing regulations and policy of communism in China and everyone with basic knowledge in geography and history will tell you the same.
Feel free to continue using IOBit.

Microsoft's documentation is literally half of Microsoft's website and all over the web. Have you been interested in reading it?

I use NordVPN on a laptop that's dedicated for malware testing. What's Nord gonna steal? Threat samples?

Being a fanboy is one, but defending a company that's clearly pushing low-quality products with no proven benefit and based on plagiarism, is totally different.

Really? Name one of these great Chinese software companies.

To be clear I don’t use any ioBit products. I’m not defending them. But, although there isn’t much to lose with Nord in your situation, I wouldn’t even use them in this case. My only point was I saw a disparity in finger wagging at one shady company while supporting another with your business. Since you don’t have anything to lose with Nord it’s probably a non-issue and a difference of opinion, which is fine.

B

BVLon

To be clear I don’t use any ioBit products. I’m not defending them. But, although there isn’t much to lose with Nord in your situation, I wouldn’t even use them in this case. My only point was I saw a disparity in finger wagging at one shady company while supporting another with your business. Since you don’t have anything to lose with Nord it’s probably a non-issue and a difference of opinion, which is fine.
I am not even paying for NordVPN, so I am not really supporting them. My iPad, iPhone, Macbook, Samsung Galaxy TabPro S and other Windows laptops are all covered by F-Secure Freedome. Nothing personal, but I trust the country that influenced 90% of the GDPR more than... I will stop here.

Update: Breaking Through 500 Acknowledgements! 360 Dominates Google Vulnerability Contribution List | 360 Total Security Blog
Qihoo is a capable and large company. I would still pas tho.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@BVLon Since you have been testing security features and are using BitDefender trafficlight I assume you already know this. But just in case

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.