Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Apple today released an iOS 17.0.3 update for the iPhone, with the software coming a week after the launch of iOS 17.0.2. Apple has also released a new version of iPadOS, 17.0.3, for iPad users.

The iOS 17.0.3 and iPadOS 17.0.3 updates can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

iOS 17.0.3, which is build 21A360, addresses a significant overheating issue on the iPhone 15 Pro and ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ Max. Shortly after the new iPhone 15 models launched, customers began complaining that the ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ and Pro Max were getting too warm, and even shutting down due to heat problems in some cases.

Apple confirmed that there was a bug in late September, and said that it would be fixed with an update to iOS 17. Some third-party apps had also been overloading the A17 Pro chip, leading to problems with heat dissipation. Apps affecting performance included Instagram, Uber, and more, and in addition to releasing an update to address the ‌iOS 17‌ issue, Apple has also been working with app developers to optimize apps causing problems.

In comments to MacRumors, Apple clarified that customers experiencing temperature problems would see the issue resolved with an update, and that the titanium frame of the ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ is not at fault. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that the overheating was likely caused by "compromises made in the thermal system design," and he suggested that Apple would only be able to fix the issue by lowering processor performance.

Apple said that it has no intention of tweaking the A17 Pro chip, and that the titanium and aluminum design of the ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ in fact provides better heat dissipation than the stainless steel frames used in previous models.

The iOS 17.0.3 and iPadOS 17.0.3 updates also address a kernel vulnerability that could allow an attacker to gain elevated privileges. Apple claims that it is aware that this security flaw was exploited on versions of iOS before iOS 16.6.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Every year, when Apple releases a major new version of iOS 17 (and a new iPhone), users end up finding some weird bugs that are usually fixed with software updates. Following reports of overheating issues with the iPhone 15 Pro, some users are now having issues with Wi-Fi on iOS 17, especially with iPhone 15 models.

Some 9to5Mac readers have told us that they’ve been experiencing Wi-Fi issues since upgrading to iPhone 15 or iOS 17. According to reader David Chen, apps are unable to load content, or the connection feels super slow. 9to5Mac reader and app developer Willian Max also told us that he has noticed unusual slowness when his iPhone 15 Pro Max is connected to Wi-Fi.
We still don’t know if this is a widespread issue or if it’s only affecting a small number of users. 9to5Mac asked Apple for a comment, but the company has yet to acknowledge or deny that there are Wi-Fi issues affecting iPhone users. Hopefully, these problems are caused by a software bug that can be fixed with an iOS update.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My iphone 15 arrived and I set it up today, first thing it did before the setup transferring all the data from old iphone was update to 17.0.3 Now a few hours after setup and it is NOT hot, not even warm, but room temperature with no protective case yet. I hope Apple did not throttle it back so much that it is slower than the 11 it replaced? so far I am not overwhelmed with its "speed" :unsure:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
My iphone 15 arrived and I set it up today, first thing it did before the setup transferring all the data from old iphone was update to 17.0.3 Now a few hours after setup and it is NOT hot, not even warm, but room temperature with no protective case yet. I hope Apple did not throttle it back so much that it is slower than the 11 it replaced? so far I am not overwhelmed with its "speed" :unsure:
The only things that make my 15 pro warm is filming 4K 60z (I did that today at my daughter’s ballet class) or intense games (which I don’t normally game on a phone, just testing the new thing). Otherwise it’s the same as my old 13 non-pro.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Well you don't have to worry you are not the only one that you know it happens to some iPhone 15 users.

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.