Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Total voters

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Homepage: IPFS is the Distributed Web
GitHub: ipfs-shipyard/ipfs-companion
IPFS aims to replace HTTP and build a better web for all of us.
This add-on enables everyone to access IPFS resources the way they were meant: from locally running IPFS node :)

IPFS is a new hypermedia distribution protocol, addressed by content and identities. IPFS enables the creation of completely distributed applications. It aims to make the web faster, safer, and more open.

Features:
  • Detect requests for IPFS paths and redirect them to a custom gateway
  • Detect hostnames with DNSLink and redirect them to IPNS at a custom gateway
  • Monitor peering and gateway status
  • Inject the IPFS API into every website's javascript context as window.ipfs
  • Share files by uploading them to IPFS with optional preload at a public gateway
  • Toggle between Active / Suspend state of all IPFS integrations
  • Toggle between external HTTP API and experimental in-memory js-ipfs node (via Preferences)
  • Pin, Open Web UI, Copy Shareable Links…
  • …and much more!

rockstarrocks

Level 19
Verified
Can someone explain to me this thing like I'm five? I just watched the "Demo" of it and I'm about the same wtf as I was before.
Try this...

Update: In above video it was all good until 5:00, after that it just became a mixture of Pasta and Fries with a topping of Onions (I liked how it looked but didn't know what it was Pasta? Fries? or something else)

The little bit I got from the video, IPFS seems pretty similar to Torrents (P2P). Similar to P2P networks the privacy issues might be pretty bad. Please correct me if I am wrong. At this point I am pretty much guessing from what little I know.

This one is much better for people like me.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth

RejZoR

Level 11
Verified
The little bit I got from the video, IPFS seems pretty similar to Torrents (P2P). Similar to P2P networks the privacy issues might be pretty bad. Please correct me if I am wrong. At this point I am pretty much guessing from what little I know.
That was my guess too. It's like P2P but for web. Privacy concerns are indeed higher than for downloading some stuff through torrent...

Reactions: upnorth

upnorth

Level 34
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Filecoin, is a cryptocurrency and when I saw their involvement and one should pay ( again! I already pay my ISP. ) for file access it was dead easy to make a choice. Thanks but no thanks, and thanks @rockstarrocks for the video. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: rockstarrocks