Advice Request Is a cleaned browser a safer browser?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'd say a definite yes when it comes to cookies. There's been instances of malware stealing/using locally stored cookies to gain access to accounts and the like.

Browsing history can be stolen too but it's less useful I'd argue. Maybe if it was stolen along with credentials and sold. The buyer could then use the browsing history to determine what sites you've visited and on what sites you have an account. It could also be stolen on its own and used as blackmail material if you've visited sites that your friends and family might find less than appropriate.

Can't speak for temporary files sadly.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Would you ever consider privacy as a safety concern?
That'd depend on who breaches that privacy. We know governments conduct mass surveillance and if the information they've gathered on you via said surveillance were to leak then that could be pretty disastrous. There'd be a lot of very personal information in there you'd have to be worried about.

If we're purely talking ad networks tracking you then not so much. A semi-anonymous profile leak would be a big hit to your privacy if someone could match the unique ID to you specifically but I wouldn't be too concerned in terms of security.
Saying that, if your public IP address were to leak too then you could be susceptible to DDoS attacks or malware could open ports and the author could use said open port as a backdoor.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Would you ever consider privacy as a safety concern?
I have uBlock (with blocking trackers lists), Decentraleyes and HTTPS Everywhere - exactly to block tracking. But that depends of each person, you may not mind being tracked as you'll see better ads and probably a faster web experience.
Again, I think privacy is different than security. You can have security without privacy or vice versa.

Reactions: Rengar and ng4ever

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does erasing browsing history, temporary files, and cookies contribute to safer browsing?
Is this following what was said in Q&A - CCleaner's "Safer Browsing" - Is False? ?
  • Browser History allows to find previously visited sites more easily, from the Omnibar (Address bar).
  • Saved Web History is similar but not stored by your browser, instead you need to disable from the website options (ie. YouTube or Bing etc).
  • Cookies keep you logged into websites and save site preferences. Not all thrid-party cookies are needed and although are harmless, can be removed.
The above allow a better web experience for you and your browsing needs/habits.

Some browsers like Firefox and Safari allow users to decide if to load in Normal or Incognito/Private mode by default, and not store the above after closing each session. Chrome/Edge can probably be tweaked to do the same, although I haven't seen such settings in the Browser Options.

I think "safer browsing" can occur before, during or after.

With CCleaner, it works AFTER browser has been closed, and not during or before as explained below:
  • During - Protected by built-in browser Security measures for Malware and Phishing protection. Extensions to prevent Ads and Trackers etc.
  • Before - Ensuring your Browser has no malicious plugins or extensions that may compromise your Online Safety, Security or Privacy. Helps if your OS is not infected with adware or other malware.
All views are my own on the matter.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Does erasing browsing history, temporary files, and cookies contribute to safer browsing?
Its more privacy related... a record of where you've been and what you've been doing.

If what you aim for is safer browsing:
  • put your browser in a sandbox, either Sandboxie or Comodo Cloud would do.
  • use simpleDNScrypt ("DNSCrypt turns regular DNS traffic into encrypted DNS traffic that is secure from eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks".)
  • use VPN for wi-fi.
  • adblock(against malicious ads).

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Its more privacy related... a record of where you've been and what you've been doing.

If what you aim for is safer browsing:
  • put your browser in a sandbox, either Sandboxie or Comodo Cloud would do.
  • use simpleDNScrypt ("DNSCrypt turns regular DNS traffic into encrypted DNS traffic that is secure from eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks".)
  • use VPN for wi-fi.
  • adblock(against malicious ads).
Does all those listed precautions prevent something from your system from calling home? I mean not from Windows but say a 3rd-party software/malware.

How about leaking your privacy info like IP address, user agent, header address, your browser fingerprint etc. Does that help too?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Don't forget that browser log-in passwords are not safe. I've seen malwares that saves your log-in info in a text file. Securing isn't not just cleaning your cache and temps.

Reactions: Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.