One of the Many Avast Popups that attempt to scare people I feel, of course I know it's really trying to sell there Secureline VPN, Dudes if I wanted it, I would've bought it a long time ago. I know they have to make money to keep providing the free edition, but where does the line draw--it's ridicoulous

Attachments

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Not scareware. Just marketing to prompt Free users to upgrade. Most Free AV do the same, where there is a paid tier available.

Block avastGUI.exe in firewall outgoing rule and all ads are gone.
Not everyone feels comforable with using Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, or it's not as easy for new Avast users.

Blocking AvastGUI.exe is bad for Avast users who want to upgrade. In 2016, an Avast Upsell Ad pop-up appeared which had a special offer, Spend £5 for 2 Years of Avast Premier. Deal.

Threadripper

Level 7
One of the Many Avast Popups that attempt to scare people I feel, of course I know it's really trying to sell there Secureline VPN, Dudes if I wanted it, I would've bought it a long time ago. I know they have to make money to keep providing the free edition, but where does the line draw--it's ridicoulous
Imagine that popping up on a streamers screen, and all of the prank calls they'd get...

One of the reasons why I switched to Kaspersky Antivirus Free, and later to the Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, is that they seem to behave much better than Avast in terms of popups. It's basically as intrusive as using Windows Defender, whereas Avast can be a bit in your face from time to time.