Advice Request Is Avast becoming scareware?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I was just notified by Avast that I have a "privacy issue", since my IP address is visible.
Guess I should buy their VPN or something...

Can such ads be considered borderline scareware? What are your thoughts on this matter?
You should be scared when you use avast for many reasons that are not only related to malware.

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
One of the Many Avast Popups that attempt to scare people I feel, of course I know it's really trying to sell there Secureline VPN, Dudes if I wanted it, I would've bought it a long time ago. I know they have to make money to keep providing the free edition, but where does the line draw--it's ridicoulous

Attachments

• 2019-03-18.png
    2019-03-18.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 454

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not scareware. Just marketing to prompt Free users to upgrade. Most Free AV do the same, where there is a paid tier available.

Block avastGUI.exe in firewall outgoing rule and all ads are gone.
Not everyone feels comforable with using Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, or it's not as easy for new Avast users.

Blocking AvastGUI.exe is bad for Avast users who want to upgrade. In 2016, an Avast Upsell Ad pop-up appeared which had a special offer, Spend £5 for 2 Years of Avast Premier. Deal.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
One of the Many Avast Popups that attempt to scare people I feel, of course I know it's really trying to sell there Secureline VPN, Dudes if I wanted it, I would've bought it a long time ago. I know they have to make money to keep providing the free edition, but where does the line draw--it's ridicoulous
Imagine that popping up on a streamers screen, and all of the prank calls they'd get...

Reactions: Dave Russo

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
One of the reasons why I switched to Kaspersky Antivirus Free, and later to the Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, is that they seem to behave much better than Avast in terms of popups. It's basically as intrusive as using Windows Defender, whereas Avast can be a bit in your face from time to time.

Stedy

Feb 16, 2021
It most certainly is scareware and it's not OK to be that aggressive. At least they'd put some explanation link under "RESOLVE" for people that would like to know what, why and how they'll be resolving!

Reactions: Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.