Q&A Is Avira a good antivirus?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

mekelek

Level 25
AV-Tester
Feb 24, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
I barely download stuff of the internet anyway, why would I need Comodo with CS's settings?

Now, they ask you if you want it or not. I used to avoid Avira because of this as well, but one day I gave it a chance and I learnt that they now ask you :)
it really doesn't, i installed it on my VM to test it and it didn't ask once if i want the apps. I actually couldn't even properly uninstall the Browser.

V

viel

it really doesn't, i installed it on my VM to test it and it didn't ask once if i want the apps. I actually couldn't even properly uninstall the Browser.
Use Avira connect to uninstall them like I did :p
I reinstalled it today, it still asks you

ZeroDay

Level 23
Aug 17, 2013
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Microsoft
People still use Windows Defender and stay safe for years, Avira is way better than Windows Defender.. like 4x better!
I should be fine! :)
I don't think Avira will be ahead of Windows Defender for much longer.

RoboMan

Level 19
Content Creator
AV-Tester
Jun 24, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
ESET
Imagine antivirus as condoms. You have the great known brands that claim to protect you 100%. Then you have another less-known that people claim that sometimes they fail. Now, if you don't go to bed with public people (who lay with people as a job), then probably any condom would do. Welcome to antivirus business.

Jul 28, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Kaspersky
avira ussed to be great a couple of years ago , being the king of signature detection....now it is just a midrange piece of german poopoo filled with bloatware. it lack serious modules others do have ( behaviour blocker , hips zeroday protection ) if I where you I would switch to avast free ( you CAN switch all the unneccesary crap during install ) in hardened mode and pair it with comodo firewall with cruelsisters settings and it's done and dusted!

W

WolfensteinXeen

Is it effective ? Yes, it's an good product that offers a very good level of protection and is usually not heavy on ressources. It often ranks among the best in detection and their web blocker is very efficient.

Is i a good antivirus ? In my opinion, not anymore. The user interface is completely outdated, scans are long and the launcher is just plain stupid.

I would say it's a decent choice, but there are many other free AV that surpass it. Avast, Bitdefender Free or Sophos Home are good alternatives.

Faybert

Level 22
AV-Tester
Jan 8, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
G-Data
I have seen that here is a certain prejudice against Avira, I do not know why, Avira is one of the oldest and most respected security companies, almost always wins as a product of the year in AV-TEST and AV-Comparatives (in my tests it is always One of the best in detection) has its own engine, unlike Emsisoft, F-Secure, Qihoo (nor consider as AV) G Data and others that use Bitdefender, only thing I do not like in Avira is its outdated interface and also Avira Connect, taking this, is undoubtedly one of the best AV in the market, if in doubt, just test :)

Jun 8, 2016
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Avast
I personally think that avira and avast are both pretty heavy on system resources, so if you have a bad pc, i wouldn't recommend either one of those. If you have a good one, however, i would recommend Avast. It has solid detection rates and a nice-looking GUI.

V

viel

I tried Avast, and it keeps on crashing on me and the full scan was on zero percent for along time, I switched back to Avira and installed Malwarebytes,Hitman Pro and Comodo firewall, is this a good setup?

Xsjx

Level 13
Feb 21, 2017
Operating System
Windows 10
Installed Antivirus
Avira
I tried Avast, and it keeps on crashing on me and the full scan was on zero percent for along time, I switched back to Avira and installed Malwarebytes,Hitman Pro and Comodo firewall, is this a good setup?
Yes, But exclude Avira in cfw settings :)

So they dont conflict.

V

viel

Is it effective ? Yes, it's an good product that offers a very good level of protection and is usually not heavy on ressources. It often ranks among the best in detection and their web blocker is very efficient.

Is i a good antivirus ? In my opinion, not anymore. The user interface is completely outdated, scans are long and the launcher is just plain stupid.

I would say it's a decent choice, but there are many other free AV that surpass it. Avast, Bitdefender Free or Sophos Home are good alternatives.
I don't mind the UI, scans are fast for me and I disabled the launcher, Avast just slowed down my PC, and Sophos is not better than Avira. So, other than the UI Scans and the launcher, I love Avira.

V

viel

The scans are longer on Avast.