Advice Request Is Avira a good antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I barely download stuff of the internet anyway, why would I need Comodo with CS's settings?

Now, they ask you if you want it or not. I used to avoid Avira because of this as well, but one day I gave it a chance and I learnt that they now ask you :)
it really doesn't, i installed it on my VM to test it and it didn't ask once if i want the apps. I actually couldn't even properly uninstall the Browser.

V

viel

Thread author
it really doesn't, i installed it on my VM to test it and it didn't ask once if i want the apps. I actually couldn't even properly uninstall the Browser.
Use Avira connect to uninstall them like I did :p
I reinstalled it today, it still asks you

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
People still use Windows Defender and stay safe for years, Avira is way better than Windows Defender.. like 4x better!
I should be fine! :)
I don't think Avira will be ahead of Windows Defender for much longer.

Reactions: Al-Faqir

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Imagine antivirus as condoms. You have the great known brands that claim to protect you 100%. Then you have another less-known that people claim that sometimes they fail. Now, if you don't go to bed with public people (who lay with people as a job), then probably any condom would do. Welcome to antivirus business.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
avira ussed to be great a couple of years ago , being the king of signature detection....now it is just a midrange piece of german poopoo filled with bloatware. it lack serious modules others do have ( behaviour blocker , hips zeroday protection ) if I where you I would switch to avast free ( you CAN switch all the unneccesary crap during install ) in hardened mode and pair it with comodo firewall with cruelsisters settings and it's done and dusted!

Reactions: RaduGL
W

WolfensteinXeen

Thread author
Is it effective ? Yes, it's an good product that offers a very good level of protection and is usually not heavy on ressources. It often ranks among the best in detection and their web blocker is very efficient.

Is i a good antivirus ? In my opinion, not anymore. The user interface is completely outdated, scans are long and the launcher is just plain stupid.

I would say it's a decent choice, but there are many other free AV that surpass it. Avast, Bitdefender Free or Sophos Home are good alternatives.

Reactions: MalwareTracker

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I have seen that here is a certain prejudice against Avira, I do not know why, Avira is one of the oldest and most respected security companies, almost always wins as a product of the year in AV-TEST and AV-Comparatives (in my tests it is always One of the best in detection) has its own engine, unlike Emsisoft, F-Secure, Qihoo (nor consider as AV) G Data and others that use Bitdefender, only thing I do not like in Avira is its outdated interface and also Avira Connect, taking this, is undoubtedly one of the best AV in the market, if in doubt, just test :)

Malware Person

Level 4
Verified
Jun 8, 2016
I personally think that avira and avast are both pretty heavy on system resources, so if you have a bad pc, i wouldn't recommend either one of those. If you have a good one, however, i would recommend Avast. It has solid detection rates and a nice-looking GUI.

Reactions: MalwareTracker
V

viel

Thread author
I tried Avast, and it keeps on crashing on me and the full scan was on zero percent for along time, I switched back to Avira and installed Malwarebytes,Hitman Pro and Comodo firewall, is this a good setup?

Reactions: fabiobr and Xsjx

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I tried Avast, and it keeps on crashing on me and the full scan was on zero percent for along time, I switched back to Avira and installed Malwarebytes,Hitman Pro and Comodo firewall, is this a good setup?
Yes, But exclude Avira in cfw settings :)

So they dont conflict.

V

viel

Thread author
Is it effective ? Yes, it's an good product that offers a very good level of protection and is usually not heavy on ressources. It often ranks among the best in detection and their web blocker is very efficient.

Is i a good antivirus ? In my opinion, not anymore. The user interface is completely outdated, scans are long and the launcher is just plain stupid.

I would say it's a decent choice, but there are many other free AV that surpass it. Avast, Bitdefender Free or Sophos Home are good alternatives.

I don't mind the UI, scans are fast for me and I disabled the launcher, Avast just slowed down my PC, and Sophos is not better than Avira. So, other than the UI Scans and the launcher, I love Avira.

V

viel

Thread author

The scans are longer on Avast.

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.