Advice Request Is Avira a good antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

V

viel

Thread author
Hello,
Title says it all! If Avira is bad, please recommend me another antivirus.

Some guy on a thread on LTT (that I don't own) replied and said things about Avira, that scared me a bit.
Not sure If I am allowed to post the link! please tell me if I am so you guys can help me further.

Thanks

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Avira is great as an AV no doubt about it, but if you use it I'd add some solid zero day protection such as Voodooshield etc. Avast is great too but they're one of the worse for collecting your data. I guess there are going to be concerns with Avira being a German company and Germany wanting encryption back doors. But, if you use Avira pro and team it up with Voodooshield or some other zero day protection you will have a solid set up.

I think we're getting to, or already at the point where Windows Defender is more than enough for signature detection and we, as users just need to concentrate on zero day protection and system backups.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Is BMW a good choice?
Is Ford a good choice??
is Audi a good choice?
Or Nah Lexus is a good choice?
which one is good?what you mean good?
Do you want a strong behavior blocker?
Or you want a good firewall?
Or Nah you want an AV with good zero day protection?
Or you want smth to install and forget?
Are you a happy clicker?
Some guy on a thread on LTT (that I don't own) replied and said things about Avira, that scared me a bit
ok, I say Avira is a good product you are ok now?if that guy is a security expert ye you should accept his words but if he is noob user like me and Yousef....
your question is totally dumb:p
First, choose what you want then search the forum make yourself into trouble and after 1 week you will find your answer:rolleyes:

Reactions: DeepWeb

low L!fe

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
There is no Full protection program
Best anti-phishing McAfee but antivirus and malware poor
Best Anti-malware Norton but is Few falsePositive
Best Repair Avira but is more false positive
Best Protection Bitdefender but is buggy
Best anti-adware Kaspersky but anti phishing is poor
Best Detection G DATA but slow down your PC
and so on
on below these programs trusted:
Norton,McAfee,ESET,Kaspersky,BitDefender,GDATA

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Avira is great as an AV no doubt about it, but if you use it I'd add some solid zero day protection such as Voodooshield etc. Avast is great too but they're one of the worse for collecting your data. I guess there are going to be concerns with Avira being a German company and Germany wanting encryption back doors. But, if you use Avira pro and team it up with Voodooshield or some other zero day protection you will have a solid set up.

I think we're getting to, or already at the point where Windows Defender is more than enough for signature detection and we, as users just need to concentrate on zero day protection and system backups.
In Avast configuration user can uncheck ,,data sharing" and ,,Avast community".

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
You can watch this review from malwareblocker and decide I personally would not use avira

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfuDtzaJAg
Malware Blocker's impartiality and reputation have been somewhat questionable since he started including Emsisoft advertisements at the end of his reviews and was stopped from posting reviews here because of this. Also if you visit his YouTube channel his main priority appears to be to make as much money as possible from it.

V

viel

Thread author
Comodo Internet security with CS's settings beats any free AV.
also Avira Free's Cloud lookup is worse/delayed than the Pro version, proven by @Umbra if i'm not mistaken, and the amount of PUP it installs with it..
PUP's? No way, I have used it for two years and nothing, scanned with Adwcleaner, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes. No PUP's.

Reactions: Nevi and Xsjx

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
PUP's? No way, I have used it for two years and nothing, scanned with Adwcleaner, Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes. No PUP's.
I call it PUP(potentially unwanted app), i'm talking about Avira Browser, VPN and some other #####..

Reactions: FrFc1908
V

viel

Thread author
Comodo Internet security with CS's settings beats any free AV.
also Avira Free's Cloud lookup is worse/delayed than the Pro version, proven by @Umbra if i'm not mistaken, and the amount of PUP it installs with it..
I barely download stuff of the internet anyway, why would I need Comodo with CS's settings?
I call it PUP(potentially unwanted app), i'm talking about Avira Browser, VPN and some other #####..
Now, they ask you if you want it or not. I used to avoid Avira because of this as well, but one day I gave it a chance and I learnt that they now ask you :)

Reactions: Xsjx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.