Advice Request Is Avira a good antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

W

WolfensteinXeen

Thread author
I don't mind the UI, scans are fast for me and I disabled the launcher, Avast just slowed down my PC, and Sophos is not better than Avira. So, other than the UI Scans and the launcher, I love Avira.

If you love it and it works for you then you should keep using it ;)

Avira is a reputable company and i have nothing against them. I was just giving my opinion based on my experience and preferences.

Also that's the thing with AVs, it will not work the same on 2 different machines. That's why you can see so many conflicting reviews and comments. For example Avast is one of the lightest AV in my PC, but it's heavy on yours. Are you wrong ? No. Am i wrong ? No. That's why there is no "best" antivirus and people should always try it first, as the results can change considerably from one machine to another.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes Avira Antivirus is indeed a good security software.

Actually their detection rates is indeed solid although pale because of mediocre on proactive capabilities which heavily relies on cloud and traditional techniques.

No Application Control, HIPS or even fully functional BB to balance the overall protection; but does not mean its literally bad because the rank of that product is still superb.

I prefer Avira Pro on that case rather using the whole suite.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Imagine antivirus as condoms. You have the great known brands that claim to protect you 100%. Then you have another less-known that people claim that sometimes they fail. Now, if you don't go to bed with public people (who lay with people as a job), then probably any condom would do. Welcome to antivirus business.

Although fun to read, it is not accurate, because it does not take the operating system into account (younger OS-ses tend to be more secure than older OS-ses, while man using condoms the age probably is reversely related to the risk) neither the language zone your in (following your story this would imply that English speaking condom users would have a greater risk than Finnish speaking condom users).

Reactions: WolfensteinXeen

Fede90

Level 2
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
I used Avira for years and now i see some little issues in program, just for example: last day i was writing a doc with MS Word and Avira Pro (not free) stop working suddenly. Real time protecion crashed, launcher too. I tried to restart the protecion but the only way was kill process in task manager and then re-launch.
At the same time the computer was completely freezed.

After 30 minutes, same problem.

The scan perfomarce are not so good like in the past, that hateful process bar when Avira try to check the system after a malware detection slow my pc, not always, sometimes.

Seems like the program has added a lot of thing (tools, features, etc.) that have compromised the performances.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I meant Avira is way better than Windows defender
You'll find that Windows Defender on Windows 10 Creators or later is better suited. Avira forcibly installs Connect and prompts users to install their other products from their Launcher.

Microsoft is continuously improving Defender for Home and Enterprise, expect to see more developments in future builds.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Just as an fyi, I decided to try out Avira Pro on one of my pc's with CF/cs.

No conflict but I cannot permanently disable the firewall setting within the Avira interface to work with CF/cs without Avira telling me that I am not fully protected. Is there a workaround or do I have to uninstall CF and just work with the Windows Firewall?

Update: I found the workaround for this problem and I am passing it on to all of you who want to use CF/cs. After perusing the web I found instructions that enable one to remove the firewall module so you will not be bothered by the closed umbrella icon and gui messages.

Details can be found here: Avira Answers

The secret is to go into Control Panel Programs and Features and RIGHT CLICK on the Avira Anti-virus icon to modify the installation, and it will allow you to remove the offending module. This way I was able to remove the Firewall component and voila, no more exclamatory warnings or messages that the WF is off. Hello, CF/cs!

Unfortunately, if you double click the icon it will only show you two options to uninstall or reinstall.

Last edited:
Reactions: brambedkar59

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
Just as an fyi, I decided to try out Avira Pro on one of my pc's with CF/cs.
No conflict but I cannot permanently disable the firewall setting within the Avira interface to work with CF/cs without Avira telling me that I am not fully protected. Is there a workaround or do I have to uninstall CF and just work with the Windows Firewall?
you should choose custom installation instead of express installation of Avira, uncheck the firewall module when installing Avira, try modify Avira installation,

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
you should choose custom installation instead of express installation of Avira, uncheck the firewall module when installing Avira, try modify Avira installation,

When I used the online installer, I did not see any option for custom installation but I was able to modify based on the info I obtained in my updated post.
Thanks for your support. It is appreciated:).

Thread author

Avira just supplies a front end to directly access Windows Firewall. It integrates within its GUI, direct access to the Windows Firewall in Control Panel for user convenience. That's it. Avira does not install a firewall, it uses Windows Firewall.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Avira used to be one of my favourite antivirus, as it is very lightweight (in my personal experience). But Avira lacks any kind of 0-day protection and this Avira Connect thing is a deal breaker for me. But Avira is still superior to Windows Defender.

Thread author
Avira used to be one of my favourite antivirus, as it is very lightweight (in my personal experience). But Avira lacks any kind of 0-day protection and this Avira Connect thing is a deal breaker for me. But Avira is still superior to Windows Defender.

It's "zero-day" malware protections consist of both heuristics and cloud analysis. It is not as extensive protection as say a behavior blocker.

Reactions: fabiobr

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Avira just supplies a front end to directly access Windows Firewall. It integrates within its GUI, direct access to the Windows Firewall in Control Panel for user convenience. That's it. Avira does not install a firewall, it uses Windows Firewall.

You are right. The modify option just removes this interface and ergo, the annoying reminders.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
It's "zero-day" malware protections consist of both heuristics and cloud analysis. It is not as extensive protection as say a behavior blocker.

If I am using Avira and CF/cs settings, do I need to find and add a BB or do you think this is sufficient?

Thread author
If I am using Avira and CF/cs settings, do I need to find and add a BB or do you think this is sufficient?

With Avira signatures and COMODO's auto-sandboxing, piling other softs on top of that combo is not in your best interests. Adding stuff to it will only consume more resources and generate more alerts. Anything added to it is also very unlikely to increase security to any meaningful extent.

Reactions: Fritz

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
With Avira signatures and COMODO's auto-sandboxing, piling other softs on top of that combo is not in your best interests. Adding stuff to it will only consume more resources and generate more alerts. Anything added to it is also very unlikely to increase security to any meaningful extent.

I guess what you are saying is this combo is decent enough. I agree with you being a newbie myself to PC security. My tendency would be that more is better but in reality what I am learning on this forum is that with the right software combination, less is just as good. Thanks!

Thread author
I guess what you are saying is this combo is decent enough. I agree with you being a newbie myself to PC security. My tendency would be that more is better but in reality what I am learning on this forum is that with the right software combination, less is just as good. Thanks!

Less is more. The more is not obvious and the less is counter-intuitive.

Do not adopt the "I will build an impenetrable fortress" mentality. It's a waste of time and effort. Find what works for you personally on your specific systems and then stick with it. You'll have fun in figuring out what you like and what you don't like. People on the security forums change their security softs more often than they change their underwear. It's just isn't wise.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.