Advice Request Is Avira a good antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

klaken

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Comodo firewall already has a behavioral engine
But this is included in the sandbox (container) as it analyzes the applications that are in the sandbox.
But you can ask him to work out of sandbox.
configuration> advance protection>viruscope> Moniterizar onli aplication in sandbox .. (defaut activate)

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Avira used to be a top choice.
but their ignoring the complaints(lots of complaints about their launcher,their way of repairing(pop up window after every detection which ends with lots of windows and system hang on heavy infected machined) and their bloatwares) made then an average product.
Better choices out there....let Avira live in PEACE!!!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I used it for about 5 years. The false detection rate was more than the detected power factor.
A batter rumored as "mass-producing a home run" was similar to a sight that could not hit a ball with a powerful swing.
What I got at Avira is a sense of security that is close to self-satisfaction that software rated with "high detection power" is installed in pc. I could not sense the power of detection.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
What I got at Avira is a sense of security that is close to self-satisfaction that software rated with "high detection power" is installed in pc. I could not sense the power of detection.
Did you use the paid versions? Well, the Pro vesion of Avira AV is indeed more powerful in detection and cloud lookup than Free version. Although Avira support keeps telling that protection modules are the same in both versions, the Pro is more responsive than Free, also it updates more often. It's proven. I still think Avira have valuable products and launcher has become not so user annoying anymore, it's needed for their products to function. The only thing that I don't like is they are slow at updating/polishing new UI, it's half-baked. The good thing is Luke Filewalker is gone.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
AVIRA has been reasonably good detection wise, but they really need to get their ##### together with interface. It's one of the worst in the industry. It's like someone threw up interface bits together into what resembles AVIRA's interface now. The fact they kept that Luke Filewalker in it for so long is weird. It's inconsistent, clumsy and despite attempts to make it more pleasant to look at, it just looks weird and ugly. It could be so much better, but I can't see myself using it even if it has perfect 100% detection. Yeah, it's that bad.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Did you use the paid versions? Well, the Pro vesion of Avira AV is indeed more powerful in detection and cloud lookup than Free version. Although Avira support keeps telling that protection modules are the same in both versions, the Pro is more responsive than Free, also it updates more often. It's proven. I still think Avira have valuable products and launcher has become not so user annoying anymore, it's needed for their products to function. The only thing that I don't like is they are slow at updating/polishing new UI, it's half-baked. The good thing is Luke Filewalker is gone.
After using the free version, I used a paid version only for one year. I heard rumors about the story that there is a difference in the protection module, but I myself could not feel it.
Because I liked the plain UI, the appearance and weight of the launcher has become a deciding factor to consider other options.

Reactions: Weebarra

JoseyWales

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Avira doesnt beat Windows Defender....RIP Avira for goodness sake. Even Comodo's AV is better than Avira....and to run Avira with comodo fw means the user is really depending on comodo to do the work that Avira can't do. Anyone wanting to use Avira w/Comodo doesn't get it...Comodo's FW, HIPS, AC, FileRating & TV are more than enough. Anyone needing more than one protection suite should really consider changing their deviant lifestyle, since its obvious they're living life in paranoid mode.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
The longest amount of time I have ever used a single AV was Avira.. I think I used it for close to 5 years straight and was always very happy with it.
However, I am excited to be getting it as part of Heimdal's upgrade to Thor and will gladly accept it's good signatures for a layered approach to my security.

Essentially, Avira's interface is hideous, and Heimdal(Thor) has a very nice, modern, clean interface. So getting Avira pounded into a fantastic interface is WIN to me.

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
the company I work for is using Avira Free for every machine, the employee is average user and they cannot recognize harmful emails, links or files, but zero infection, I found it catch a lot, it's a good product

Reactions: ZeroDay

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
ove to see some Syshardener + avira free results on malware hub

There isnt much talk about avira these days
How no, how yes.... they working on new features which i also use like Phantom VPN etc.

Avira is great product and they no need make agresive toxic marketing spam to punish user for buy thier produt like other companies does, becaue they have solid product with far good opinion.
And this is next good reason.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Avira is known for Quick and matured signatures.
However no more tenable to the present trend Malware.
Heuristics based protection is so so..Free wise a good product.

Reactions: Nevi and stefanos

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.