Advice Request Is Bitwarden Premium a good purchase?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
In terms of functionality, the difference between free and paid versions is not all that great - you can attach files (which is somewhat cumbersome, as opposed to other PW managers), and the tools for checking passwords etc. are not all that earthshaking.

That said, for only $10 a year - less than a dollar a month! - and to support what is unquestionably a very worthy project I think that the upgrade is money well spent. Indeed, I am very happy that I upgraded, even though I have lifetime subscriptions to Sticky Password and Enpass.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If a free trial is available, it's worth looking into it.
Update to my original comment.

Yes, Bitwarden Premium is 100% worth it. For $10 per annum you get a lot of value compared to its competition.

1Password has a slight advantage if you care for the polished UI and it’s secure by design (secret-key).

Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, Bitwarden Premium is 100% worth it. For $10 per annum you get a lot of value compared to its competition.
curious... so I assumed I had a free account because I did not recall paying for bw, so I started to create an account in order to pay and issues developed but not the way I would have expected. I entered the email that I've been using, and it let me proceed, ie, it did not tell me that email already has an account associated with it. So I proceeded to enter my password, and it want more characters, so I added some more and saved the changes in my encrypted space, and then it presented me with login page, and login ERROR o_O So then I entered my original pw and logged in ok, got to my account page, finally got to my subscription page and finally showed that I was "subscribed." Long way around to go nowhere, should have been cutoff when I entered my email... :unsure: Finding you have premium subscription is "buried" 2 or 3 layers deep. But I did learn something, I'm changing my bw pw...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
curious... so I assumed I had a free account because I did not recall paying for bw, so I started to create an account in order to pay and issues developed but not the way I would have expected. I entered the email that I've been using, and it let me proceed, ie, it did not tell me that email already has an account associated with it. So I proceeded to enter my password, and it want more characters, so I added some more and saved the changes in my encrypted space, and then it presented me with login page, and login ERROR o_O So then I entered my original pw and logged in ok, got to my account page, finally got to my subscription page and finally showed that I was "subscribed." Long way around to go nowhere, should have been cutoff when I entered my email... :unsure: Finding you have premium subscription is "buried" 2 or 3 layers deep. But I did learn something, I'm changing my bw pw...
To be frank it's your responsibility to keep tabs on the following:
  • Outgoing payments from your bank account(s)
  • Registered online account(s)
  • Your inbox
The Master Password must be a minimum of 12 characters.

Bitwarden doesn't operate like other companies who constantly remind you to upgrade.

Users can only purchase the Bitwarden Premium membership via the Web Vault [icode[]vault.bitwarden.com[/icode]. N/A via extension or mobile app.

bitwarden.png

Users of Bitwarden Free (or expired subscription) will see this on their Web Vault landing page, which takes you directly to Subscriptions.

premium.png

Bitwarden Premium can be found here: Web Vault > Account Settings > Subscriptions

btwp2.png

Sandbox Breaker

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 6, 2022
Off topic... Bitwarden could also be used to communicate for illegal means through two actors using the same bitwarden vault. Communications/Messages can be saved and read within the same account and purged with ZERO records. Not talking about bitwarden send.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
To be frank it's your responsibility to keep tabs on the following:
  • Outgoing payments from your bank account(s)
  • Registered online account(s)
  • Your inbox
The Master Password must be a minimum of 12 characters.
considered me spanked :sick: somtimes I forget... :unsure: I take a few notes every day on stuff I do to pc & online.
ALSO my original Bitwarden premium only had 11 characters as pw and it worked fine for many months; however, I realized not a good idea (& below my normal standards) so that security issue has been fixed. So if bw minimum requires 12 characters, there's a flaw in their signup / registration... :unsure: That aside, bw seems solid, and I've been enjoying premium, and plan to renew again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.