Question Is Brave, Chrome, Edge and Vivaldi in the Same Level of Security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 3
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
From security perspective, is all chromium browsers secure in the same level or one more secure than the other?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
While all Chromium-based browsers like Brave, Chrome, Edge, and Vivaldi share a core architecture, their security levels can vary. Each of these browsers has unique security features and updates. For example, Brave emphasizes privacy protection, while Chrome has robust sandboxing features. So, while they're all generally secure, one might be more secure depending on your specific needs.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Chrome receives security fixes first. Edge and Brave typically receive them a day after Chrome. I can't speak on Vivaldi's update timings.

Chrome receives Safe Browsing updates first, and has access to Enhanced Safe Browsing. Edge's Smartscreen is equivalent to Chrome's Safe Browsing. Brave and Vivaldi's Safe Browsing implementation are inherently weaker than Chrome's.

Brave, Edge and Vivaldi all have built-in ad/tracker blocking. Brave's ad blocker is superior to Vivaldi's, while Vivaldi's is superior to Edge's tracker blocker.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
While Google Chrome tends to receive updates directly from the Chromium project, other Chromium-based browsers may incorporate those updates after additional testing or customization. This can sometimes result in a slight delay in version updates compared to Chrome.

This is my number #1 reason to choose Chrome. Fixes and patches are usually firstly delivered to Chrome, making it more secure and stable than other chromium-based projects.

This doesn't mean Brave or Edge aren't safe, since projects like these integrate their own security and privacy enhancements.

Anyways, after all, there's no project that invests more money in security than Google Chrome.

lokamoka820

Level 3
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
While Google Chrome tends to receive updates directly from the Chromium project, other Chromium-based browsers may incorporate those updates after additional testing or customization. This can sometimes result in a slight delay in version updates compared to Chrome.

This is my number #1 reason to choose Chrome. Fixes and patches are usually firstly delivered to Chrome, making it more secure and stable than other chromium-based projects.

This doesn't mean Brave or Edge aren't safe, since projects like these integrate their own security and privacy enhancements.

Anyways, after all, there's no project that invests more money in security than Google Chrome.
So if I want to use two browsers, a secure browser for my accounts and banking, and a private browser as my daily driver, what is your recommendations?

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So if I want to use two browsers, a secure browser for my accounts and banking, and a private browser as my daily driver, what is your recommendations?
My number #1 choice for security is always Google Chrome. But when it comes to logging into accounts, home banking and e-commerce, you should always also have a good ad-blocker that blocks ads and tracking, and an up-to-date decent antivirus.

Regarding antivirus, many security products include a Safe Banking or Safe Shopping module. This module usually either isolates the shopping or banking site and enhances it with extra security to protect your account/info, or offer a "secure browser". I recommend always having this module enabled to maximize security when dealing with money-related transactions.

• Thanks
Reactions: lokamoka820

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
As far as security is concerned with Chrome vs Chromium-based browsers

For Chrome

Since it is built on Chromium, the security mechanisms are similar. But all security patches are updated automatically on Chrome

For Chromium-based browsers

Just as secure as Chrome. Their core rendering engines are equally secure. Some don't update automatically like Ungoogled Chromium whilst others have automatic updates

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.