Is COMODO really the best security even with their shady actions?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
I always found COMODO kind of shady especially Melih but I am seeing here that many users love them to death.
Are they really that good?

Reactions: upnorth

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
It has the best protection, there is a difference between protection and detection. Keep in mind if you use Comodo with default settings you can get infected.

Every security company has a "dark side", If you read the EULA of most security products you will never use them, that's how bad it is.

Overall is an amazing product, the downside is low detection and the development is slow.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I always found COMODO kind of shady especially Melih but I am seeing here that many users love them to death.
Every company can be shady, and there are also cases where that "shadiness" is justified.
For example, there is this situation right now on the COMODO Forums where COMODO staff and moderators do not want users to discuss or speculate about the beta version of COMODO Internet Security. People could go outright and blame them for their unjust behavior on silencing those discussion, but they cannot blame them for the fact that COMODO does not want a product that's barely into the test phase randomly discussed, especially when that happens in the wrong forum section. (General Discussions about the product do not allow discussions about beta versions, especially about information obtained from leaked beta versions, which is illegal/illegitimate)
I do not want to mention other companies, but two good examples of "shady" companies is Microsoft and Valve. Don't get me wrong, I love the products they offer and the services they provide, but in many aspects when it comes to interacting with their community, they are being rather cryptic and secretive about many things and prefer to avoid many sensitive topics.
For example, Valve used to be really shady when giving refunds in the past, because they had no solid policy on refunds (though now they do).
And regarding Microsoft, their privacy policy in Windows 10 (for non-Enterprise versions) should be considered a scandal against their customers' privacy, due to all the data that this very privacy policy allows Microsoft to collect (even though there are many methods and workarounds to disable these data mining functions in Windows 10).

Now I know I wasn't very direct here, but I prefer typing an entire description when it comes to setting facts straight.
COMODO offers great security solutions, but no company is perfect, and they sure have some downsides as a company.
However, that shouldn't be enough for someone to completely disregard the quality of COMODO's products.

I have used them on every computer I ever owned and so far they have never let me down. :p

Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: Also consider @OpenSecLabs' and @hjlbx's posts - they have tested COMODO extensively, much more than I have, and you can count on their opinions.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Comodo has earned a place of respect with me on some levels I admit. I hope in the future that they will be able to develop a security solution along the lines of what they have now but which better explains itself and the challenges of securing a PC to users. In the long run, transparency, whether from MS or Comodo or any other software company, is going to be in the best interest of computer users at home and at work. Yes, companies will need their go-to custom security protections, but, as far as users are concerned, "I know what this means" is for the best whether in front of the PC at home or their workstation at the office. My opinion for the long term...

Reactions: conceptualclarity

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

I've been using COMODO a while and I love the software. No doubt there's good and bad about it as well but why not give it a try and see it for yourself. It's difficult to persuade someone without telling them to give it a try. Try it and tell us what you feel about it.

PS: Curious again, you mention COMODO is some kind of shady. Mind to elaborate that shady is what particular aspect? I'm sure those new MT member would be interested to know too.

Cheers!

Reactions: kiric96
D

Deleted member 178

There is two things to consider:

- the product
- the company

The quality of the product had definitely nothing to do with the company behavior. best example was Iobit, proven to stole MBAM signature database but that fact doesn't mean their products to be bad (Iobit uninstaller is still quite good)

Development Department of a company is not subject to the same policy than the marketing department. The dev team do the product THEN the marketing team elaborate from this; rarely the opposite.

Now almost all companies mine your datas in a way or another, for improvement or commercial purposes, some let you know others don't...

Imagine a marvelous medicine that can cure you from the current incurable deathly disease; only issue, the medicine is made by a company leaded by a extremist group, say nazis for example; will you use it to cure yourself or refuse the medicine based on your convictions? i guess 90% will use it...

When i use a product i never consider the company's behavior if the product do what i expect from it without backstabbing me.

In the case of Comodo, fancy Melhi and his fanboys' army are quite annoying sometimes but that doesn't make CIS a bad product. However , lately seems the fanboys have a big weight on the product development, the web filter is among the best example.

Final note what is the more important?

You convictions or your needs?

I let you meditate on this

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Usually the case on marketing and production development are always isolated, but of course its important to track down the background of company since if everything are misaligned and affected the product that should suppose to be use on productive system hence you need to make an action for that.

Because the influence of company background holds also the integrity on how programs are develop and behave so as vigilant users, take time to analyze those declared privacy policy.

In terms of protection of Comodo hence definitely a best but for enthusiast users, because the usual product to make it user friendly are far from others to compare although techniques are gradually blend for balance protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.