Status
Not open for further replies.

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Why, how nice of you. Thank you. Yes indeed. Those are warm and endearing traits.
M yeah, don’t get attached to me now…

then prove it. The burden of proof is on you
I would but again, I’m not interested in mediocre products to waste my time really…
I might change my mind in the future (depending on various factors).

I am awaiting your proof my dear @Oerlink.

Prove to all of us that Comodo’s design is secure.
Link at least one study where Comodo has been tested in depth (not against 30 executables that Webroot will detect too), I am talking about a system analysis and design test or simply said - pen-test that concludes Comodo is secure.
Or provide documentation from Comodo website that explains the product architecture and analyse this documentation bit by bit.

This is how you will prove that Comodo is indeed still secure for general usage. Bear in mind effective in detection/protection/disinfection does not equal SECURE, stable and fit for the purpose. Till then, your claims are just that - baseless claims.

If you manage to prove you are right by showing the relevant studies and conclusions, I will be happy to admit that you were right and send a Johnie Walker Blue Label + a letter of apology to the AppGuard headquarters for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Decopi

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Could it be perhaps due to not receiving any program updates in the last 2 years? Does this not indicate that the user bases' concerns are of little interest to the development of their consumer products? Do they not care about any software bugs or critical vulnerabilities in their code?

It's your decision to either move on, or struggle with a potentially insecure security program.
agree agree, but as I understand @cruelsister CF tweaks she disables HIPS and apparently HIPS is where the bugs are. I don't read comodo forum, & not currently running CF here. just sayin'

Reactions: bellgamin and Ink

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
agree agree, but as I understand @[U]cruelsister CF tweaks she disables HIPS and apparently HIPS is where the bugs are. I don't read comodo forum, & not currently running CF here. just sayin'[/U]
Yes, and in her videos she always has HIPS disabled. I think it's one of her tweaks as well. She has stated repeatedly that she has hammered Comodo Firewall through the years with everything she can find, trying to breach the containment. So far, she hasn't been able to beat it, and she says she will be the first to announce it if she does. I don't know what kind or the volume of malware she's used.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, and in her videos she always has HIPS disabled. I think it's one of her tweaks as well.
Yes disabling HIPS has been one of her suggested tweaks going back years, and again also recently posted here in a recent video.

overdivine

Level 2
Verified
Aug 21, 2013
comodo container is even now much better (as in out of their league) than most paid security solutions.
and is better without updates for a long period of time (years), even on unsupported OS
i dont care if someone encounters bugs, is irrelevant, it will work for 99% of the systems, as every software/game
and is free
so, yeah, it's better

ps: i dont use and i dont care about comodo, it is just common sense

Reactions: bellgamin
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I would but again, I’m not interested in mediocre products to waste my time really…
You just like to go onto forums to bash Comodo without any proof. Then call the Comodo CEO a liar based upon, what again?... Trident's nonsense. OK. We all get it now.

I am awaiting your proof my dear @Oerlink.
What do I have to prove? I never said that Comodo was bulletproof. Comodo itself said it is bulletproof. Why would I have to prove what Comodo said?

I never made any claims. Everything I have said pertains to then AV lab test results and others' testing. The test methodologies are sound and well-executed. There's no reason whatsoever to doubt the test results, and they confirm that Comodo has excellent protections. If you disagree, then you need to take those matters up with Comodo or the AV lab directly. lol

Prove to all of us that Comodo’s design is secure.
Link at least one study where Comodo has been tested in depth (not against 30 executables that Webroot will detect too), I am talking about a system analysis and design test or simply said - pen-test that concludes Comodo is secure.
I already did that. I linked the AVLab tests. AVLab tests are well-designed and credible. You are the only one who makes up complete nonsense in an attempt to discredit them.

Or provide documentation from Comodo website that explains the product architecture and analyse this documentation bit by bit.

This is how you will prove that Comodo is indeed still secure for general usage. Bear in mind effective in detection/protection/disinfection does not equal SECURE, stable and fit for the purpose.
It is wonderful that you believe such nonsense. You have quite the imagination. Have you ever thought of a career with "Trident Story Hour" at your local libraries?

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

If you manage to prove you are right by showing the relevant studies and conclusions
Comodo has proven itself great protection all by itself.

You gotta respect Melih. He got containment right long before anyone else was thinking much about it. In all the years since it was introduced and no malc0der has bypassed it and pwn'd the system.

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
@Trident - your investigations are spot on! @Oerlink has been previously banned from this thread. He has had arguments with the wonderful @danb who I respect immensely - he stalked him based on that thread as a person called JT on wilders - works for Appguard (I think).

I am sure he will come around and debate all of this (he did not read things properly before). Pointless arguing with someone who knows in their head that they are right and live off emotionally laden discussions! But, love your investigative journalism here @Trident - kudos :cool:

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Not relevant for some but HIPS bugs are only a small part of all bugs, HIPS is not where all the bugs are.

Reactions: Decopi

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
agree agree, but as I understand @cruelsister CF tweaks she disables HIPS and apparently HIPS is where the bugs are. I don't read comodo forum, & not currently running CF here. just sayin'
I'm not familiar with neither the bugs nor custom configurations recommended by others. I only know if the software hasn't been updated in 2 years, then it should be a red flag.

There's someone out there running PCTools ThreatFire on their XP system right now.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I'm not familiar with neither the bugs nor custom configurations recommended by others. I only know if the software hasn't been updated in 2 years, then it should be a red flag.

There's someone out there running PCTools ThreatFire on their XP system right now.
sure agree a "red flag" meaning make a more considered, more researched judgment about running it knowing that it hasn't been updated for 2+ years. some with strong reputation here say it's still solid protection despite lack of recent updates. I am not running it but like to read reasoned feedback from users that are running it.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

sure agree a "red flag" meaning make a more considered, more researched judgment about running it knowing that it hasn't been updated for 2+ years. some with strong reputation here say it's still solid protection despite lack of recent updates. I am not running it but like to read reasoned feedback from users that are running it.
Melih should tell developers to remove HIPS then change version number to 14.2023 and then leave it at that.

The HIPS should have never been there in the first place. Home users do not know what "Access to COM Object" or "Writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers" HIPS alert means. The home user just keeps clicking "Allow"... "Allow"..."Allow"..."Allow"

lol

• Thanks
Reactions: kylprq and Chuck57

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Melih should tell developers to remove HIPS then change version number to 14.2023 and then leave it at that.

The HIPS should have never been there in the first place. Home users do not know what "Access to COM Object" or "Writing to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers" HIPS alert means. The home user just keeps clicking "Allow"... "Allow"..."Allow"..."Allow"

lol
Or deny, and then wonder why something isn't working. Been there, which is why when Comodo is on this machine, I disable HIPS.

Reactions: simmerskool
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

You seem to have contempt for home users.
Why? Because everybody knows that home users do not understand HIPS alerts - or most any security notification for that matter?

Because home users cannot handle alerts is the very reason security software publishers disable HIPS and configure other features to NOT generate alerts by default. That is their "optimized default configuration" = no alerts.

Try harder.

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Why? Because everybody knows that home users do not understand HIPS alerts - or most any security notification for that matter?

Because home users cannot handle alerts is the very reason security software publishers disable HIPS and configure other features to NOT generate alerts by default. That is their "optimized default configuration" = no alerts.

Try harder.
So every home user is a non-expert in this area according to you. You, for someone not using Comodo, 'seem' to know everthing about Comodo and their users.
You like to put yourself on a pedestal, high above the rest.
Oh Holy Grail.

Bumblebee Uncle

Level 3
Well-known
Mar 15, 2022
So every home user is a non-expert in this area according to you. You, for someone not using Comodo, 'seem' to know everthing about Comodo and their users.
Oh Holy Grail.
He is a bit of a know it all. Also pretends to have spoken to Comodo staff and what not! He has already lost all credibility among normal folks except the fanboys/girls who worship the product as much as he does.

Since my previous message might have got missed, I will paste it again here:

@Trident - your investigations are spot on! @Oerlink has been previously banned from this thread. He has had arguments with the wonderful @danb who I respect immensely - he stalked him based on that thread as a person called JT on wilders - works for Appguard (I think).

I am sure he will come around and debate all of this (he did not read things properly before). Pointless arguing with someone who knows in their head that they are right and live off emotionally laden discussions! But, love your investigative journalism here @Trident - kudos :cool:

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

So every home user is a non-expert in this area according to you.
I never said that. How could you even interpret that is what I said? The vast majority of users cannot properly handle alerts. That is why companies like Kaspersky, ESET and Emsisoft "optimize" their products so that, by default, there are no alerts for the user to respond to. It is an industry-wide practice. It is the very reason that Comodo configures HIPS to be disabled by default! lol

You, for someone not using Comodo, 'seem' to know everthing about Comodo and their users.
Alerts and how users can or cannot respond to them is not specific to Comodo. Plus I never said I know everything about Comodo users. It is really weird that you could even make that interpretation from what I posted.

How home users generally do not respond well to alerts is a well-known thing within the industry. They just do "Allow"..."Allow"..."Allow"..."Allow"

Oh Holy Grail.
Why? Because I am stating the facts? What is wrong with you?

He has already lost all credibility among normal folks
Do you actually believe that I care what you or anyone else thinks? :ROFLMAO:

Do you actually believe that what you or anyone else posts here matters or has any influence? It is really bizarre that any of you get so riled-up over my posts. They are all fact-based. It seems to me, actually it is quite obvious, that a group of you just want to bash Comodo without any real basis. It is fair to say that Comodo has a lot of bugs. It has that history. No one denies that. But it is unproven that it is unsafe, even after 2 years of no updates.

You and the others are just making conjecture. If any of you had made a demonstrable argument, then you would have no problem getting people to agree with you. But as it stands, you've convinced no one that Comodo is unsafe. Instead, y'all are buzzing about the forum way more concerned about directing ad hominems at me. You think you waging some moral, righteous crusade on this thread?

I like the one repeated numerous times... "We have to assume that Melih is a liar."

Also pretends to have spoken to Comodo staff and what not!
If I am lying, then where is your proof? Oh wait, you don't have any. Even if I am lying about talking to Haibo Zhang and others, the fact doesn't change - Comodo is not fixing those bugs. It has had 12+ years to do so and it has not. 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Of course.

Every day Monday-Friday Melih carries out a daily brief with JT/Andrzej/Oerlink regarding the future of Comodo.
f I am lying, then where is your proof? Oh wait, you don't have any. Even if I am lying about talking to Haibo Zhang and others, the fact doesn't change - Comodo is not fixing those bugs. It has had 12+ years to do so and it has not. 🤣
Btw I can’t establish if you are defending the product or bashing it - it seems like the latter to me. Do you just regularly go around on forums to bash competitive products is my first question here.

He just elegantly avoids talking about it…

Regardless what “users with strong reputation say” it is considered a standard practice within the whole IT industry out-of-date software to be avoided. It’s not just Comodo or Software A,B and C, it’s every package that hasn’t been updated. The same is even more true when we talk about security, as it’s an always-running app with kernel access - security holes are a recipe for disaster.
You and the others are just making conjecture. If any of you had made a demonstrable argument, then you would have no problem getting people to agree with you. But as it stands, you've convinced no one that Comodo is unsafe.
For the passionate keyboard warrior and AppGuard employee, I will once again stress — nobody has claimed anything here. You just need a discussion (lack of anything to do in your daily life as well as social skills) and you have “assumed” we are saying Comodo is unsafe.

We are merely exploring the possibility an outdated programme to be unsafe. Is that okay with you…?
Do we have your permission to do so?

But it is unproven that it is unsafe, even after 2 years of no updates.
Do we need proof to express a concern on a public forum? I didn’t know MalwareTips was the high court in Strassburg, but I am glad you have enlightened us.
Do we need proof to consider an outdated piece of software unsafe? Like do we need to design PoC and exploits to prove Windows Vista wasn’t safe?

We decide what’s safe and unsafe for us. You can’t dictate that or anything else. You might be respected at AppGuard but for us you are nobody.
I like the one repeated numerous times... "We have to assume that Melih is a liar."
Melih says a new version is coming and bugs will be fixed and you repeatedly claim that bugs are not getting fixed. It has become evident on many occasions that you have natural language processing issues (amongst many others like megalomania), but the way I see it, it is you who indirectly calls Melih a liar 🤣🤣🤣

Also, stop calling him Melih — he is Mr. Abdulhayoglu. He is not your friend from your childhood and when you refer to him you must have professional respect. Neither he is the same age like you, nor have you achieved half of what he has done for you to use his first name.
He has pioneered the freemium industry and you’ve merely written 10 “for loops” for an unsuccessful product, 5 of which were wrong.

Dude you have become a joke here - you may not care what people think, but you can see absolutely nobody likes any comments of yours across this community and nobody even replies to you, except for me. This is why you don’t let this thread end - you are showered with attention here. Attention you so crave and lack. Sometimes it’s better to shut up.

When I see you, I instantly realise why AppGuard is so unprofessionally designed - with people like you employed…
Even the website has errors.
78756B43-A8BA-4686-B639-5B693FDD1416.jpeg

And yes, I have considered story hour with Trident at the local library. My stories will get a lot more attention than your posts here though.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

We are merely exploring the possibility an outdated programme to be unsafe. Is that okay with you…?
You know your post history is public, right? You stated the product was unsafe "because of bugs and no updates in 2 years."

Melih says a new version is coming and bugs will be fixed and you repeatedly claim that bugs are not getting fixed.
Melih said a new version is coming. He never said that the bugs people have been talking about here will be fixed. The development team decided long ago that they will not fix certain bugs. That is why those bugs have remained on the list at Comodo forum forever. It has been stated as much on the Comodo forum. You should go read it carefully.

Regardless what “users with strong reputation say” it is considered a standard practice within the whole IT industry out-of-date software to be avoided.
No, it's not. Significant portions of Windows and the Linux kernel itself have not received updates in decades. Some parts of Windows are the same code from the 1990s.

Software publishers do not push updates "just because." Nobody has proven that Comodo is unsafe over the past 2 years, and so Comodo made no updates to the product. Besides, that development team was busy working on other much more high priority projects. A freeware product that derives no revenue is not a priority. That said, Comodo would fix a proven, replicable security defect. As there is none, they did not need to make any updates.

What do you propose Comodo update in its containment protection whenever nothing has been shown to bypass it and compromise a system?

Like do we need to design PoC and exploits to prove Windows Vista wasn’t safe?
That is exactly how Windows Vista was proven unsafe - through real exploits, PoCs and other real-world compromises. Proof was provided by researchers, pentesters and users for years.

Nobody has provided any proof that Comodo is unsafe during the past 2 years without updates and on Windows 11.

Oh, it might cause a BSOD on some specific Windows 11 systems, as reported on the Comodo forum, but that is just an annoyance. It is not a security concern. Lots of users are running Comodo on Windows 11 and it is protecting their systems superbly.

The same is even more true when we talk about security, as it’s an always-running app with kernel access - security holes are a recipe for disaster.
How embarrassing for you. Comodo containment runs in User Mode.

Also, stop calling him Melih — he is Mr. Abdulhayoglu.
He prefers to be addressed by his first name, Melih.

He has pioneered the freemium industry and you’ve merely written 10 “for loops” for an unsuccessful product, 5 of which were wrong.
Melih did not start the freemium industry. It existed long before he came along.

Melih gives away the software for free and Comodo has over 5,000,000 registered users. Thousands of downloads per day.

That is success by any industry measure.

I think Comodo staff should come here to MalwareTips and promote Comodo products and services. There's strong interest in CF\CIS here. Lots of MalwareTips would like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.