Advice Request Is Developer Mode risky in Chromium browsers?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I have been wondering if using Developer Mode is risky in Chromium browsers, but I haven't been able to find anything current about this topic. There's an add-on I'd like to use on Chromium, but it isn't available in the extension store because of policy. If I use Developer Mode to install it, would it make general browsing any less safe?

Reactions: Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
If I use Developer Mode to install it, would it make general browsing any less safe?
If you install a malicious extension in Chrome using dev mode it can possibly compromise your entire browser and your PC.

If you feel comfortable posting which extension you want to install then maybe someone can suggest an alternative that is available in the Chrome extension store.

Reactions: South Park and Nevi

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Make sure you trust the extension, and make sure you disable Developer Mode after you install it. Don't leave Developer Mode enabled.

Reactions: South Park and Nevi

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
In this case, I trust the extension, which is open source and available as an official Firefox add-on. If I install it in Developer Mode and then turn Developer Mode off, will the extension still automatically update?

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
In this case, I trust the extension, which is open source and available as an official Firefox add-on. If I install it in Developer Mode and then turn Developer Mode off, will the extension still automatically update?
A good reason to ditch chrome for FF. :LOL:

Seem like it needs to be in the chrome web store to auto update and not installed in dev mode..
No, chrome would not auto-update the unpacked extension(that is in developer mode). Whenever you load an unpacked extension, you get a unique app id which will be different from the one that is hosted on chrome web store or any other server. 21-Apr-2018

Last edited:

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Thank you all for your answers. It turns out that when I install a .crx extension in developer mode and then turn developer mode off, auto-update depends on the Chromium variant and the platform.

Chromium 96 stable (not ungoogled) on Windows 10: Shows an error message on update, disables the add-on until permissions are re-granted.
Kiwi 96 on Android 9 phone: Auto-updates without errors, asks for new permissions
Kiwi 96 on Android 5 tablet: Does not try to update, must be updated manually.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.