Advice Request Is Emsisoft really that good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uxbal

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 10, 2016
Hi,

See people recommending Emsisoft all over the place here, and wondering, how can it bee so good? There are only few reviews out there, it employs only 30 people, yet the labs say good things. Any insight? What's so good about it?

Thanks

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It has an excellent behaviour detection engine and they improve it constantly to detect more stuff. Devs are active on the forums and their forum, they fix bugs in a timely manner and it's compatible with most products.
Also it doesn't slow down the system like some products do.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
First of all their customer support is superb and very...very helpfull! Plus the devellopment team really listens to their customers and do their upmost best to realize all the wanted features / changes. Their privacy policy is also second to none! It's that uninvasive!!! I have used emisisoft internet security For over a Year and I liked it a lot. It may use a lot of ram ( at the time I had it installed ) but I For one did not experiënce Any slowdowns / memory leakage or Any other frustrating aspects! Inmho it's really one of the rare products to Shell out cash For!!! @frogboy could share more light on this subject and share his honoust thoughts ; he is currently using the product as his Major defense against cybercrime!!!

Last edited:

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Yes, it is. It provides an excellent protection right after installation, no need to set anything to increase protection. It's very stable and light (sometimes it uses more RAM, but often it uses also even 10MB of RAM). It has great basic detection thanks to Bitdefender engine + excellent behavior blocker and quite good web protection. Great, simple, not overloaded software.

Balrog

Level 6
Verified
May 5, 2015
First of all their customer support is superb and very...very helpfull! Plus the devellopment team really listens to their customers and do their upmost best to realize all the wanted features / changes. Their privacy policy is also second to none! It's that uninvasive!!! I have used emisisoft internet security For over a Year and I liked it a lot. It may use a lot of ram ( at the time I had it installed ) but I For one did not experiënce Any slowdowns / memory leakage or Any other frustrating aspects! Inmho it's really one of the rare products to Shell out cash For!!! @frogboy could share more light on this subject and share his honoust thoughts ; he is currently using the product as his Major defense against cybercrime!!!

I can't say it better! :)

Emsisoft do one thing and does good.

H

hjlbx

In my experience Emsisoft's behavior blocker (HIPS) and customer support are both first rate. IF you find a problem, you report it, and it gets fixed within a reasonable amount of time. Their products and services are definitely a cut above what is typical.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
1) Few/ little review is not indicative that the product is bad.
2) Less workforce is not indicative that the product is bad.

I won't say why Emsisoft is that good. It's purely dependent on user experience on their own system. Why advice is to try it out and see for yourself.

I have 4 Emsisoft License on my systems (3 EAM, 1 EIS). And for me I exclusively use Emsisoft on my family's PC/Laptop, as it's install-and-forget settings suits my family preference. Price wise it's even cheaper than the rest (due to preferential rate as long-time user). Loyalty progamme up to 50% off for renewal. And more importantly very prompt customer support services. Go to their forum and you'll know why. :).

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
I've had EAM on 4 machines now for about 3+ years and not one of them has ever become infected. It offers superior protection with its BB, offers very good detection rates (Bitdefender Engine+Their own in-house engine), fast scans, light on resources, great customer support, and if privacy is important to you then they are one of the best in the industry in that regard. As for reviews there are a good amount in the video reviews section of Reviews along with testing done in the Malware Hub, where you can see how it performs against newer threats. Their loyalty program is great too.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Emsisoft is actually better than some tests indicate.

Normal tester's methods are.
1. URL/Phishing test
2. Scan a folder filled with malware
3. The files that aren't detected and deleted, are executed to prompt a reaction from the AV's proactive component.
Usually they use applications like process explorer(enabling virustotal) to check whether a malware is running. If it is running, it is considered by the tester that the AV failed to detect and protect the system.

However this way of testing isn't exactly accurate at least in regard to Emsisoft.
Behavior blocker - monitoring files
Anyone that is going to test Emsisoft(and those watching those tests) should really read this thread.

Just because the malware is running doesn't mean the behavior blocker isn't protecting you. It can simply mean that the malware hasn't exhibit any malicious behavior.

One of our developers let me know that this is expected behavior. The applications in question simply aren't doing anything that would cause them to be quarantined. They are almost certainly stuck trying to contact a C&C server that no longer exists, and thus they never actually do anything.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Emsisoft is actually better than some tests indicate.

Normal tester's methods are.
1. URL/Phishing test
2. Scan a folder filled with malware
3. The files that aren't detected and deleted, are executed to prompt a reaction from the AV's proactive component.....

Behavior blocker - monitoring files
Anyone that is going to test Emsisoft(and those watching those tests) should really read this thread.
Just because the malware is running doesn't mean the behavior blocker isn't protecting you. It can simply mean that the malware hasn't exhibit any malicious behavior.
One of our developers let me know that this is expected behavior. The applications in question simply aren't doing anything that would cause them to be quarantined. They are almost certainly stuck trying to contact a C&C server that no longer exists, and thus they never actually do anything.
An excellent point made that testers, reviewers and referring users must keep in mind before judging over the 'CLEAN', 'PROTECTED' and 'INFECTED' tags anywhere.
It's not just about MT. A lot of outsiders conduct similar tests on their channels and malware samples getting to run is considered a sin done by the AV under test.
  1. Not all samples run in VM (we know the reasons)
  2. Not all that get run are malicious enough to be detected
  3. Not all that get run perform malicious activities immediately
  4. Not all that get run could perform malicious activities maybe because of some connectivity issues as mentioned in the quoted post/ lack of required framework/ lack of exploit etc.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
..And they care about your privacy.;)
they are just chanting slogans for their marketing .. we had such these slogans before.. even now some companies have such these slogans like quality always first,green for you red for malwares...
Emsisoft just was smart enough to make such slogan related to Privacy.. and it works! a lot of users did buy their product just for this slogan..
no one care how is their support, how they can have your back in urgent situations( they can't in fact, how you think they can when they put the equal priority on you and the others not-paid users ), no one care how their CTO is rude,
just blindly like their slogan.

Emsisoft is just an AV without any impressive support/feature, which is chanting user friendly slogans and have a good behavrio blocker. thats it.:D

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
they are just chanting slogans for their marketing .. we had such these slogans before.. even now some companies have such these slogans like quality always first,green for you red for malwares...
Emsisoft just was smart enough to make such slogan related to Privacy.. and it works! a lot of users did buy their product just for this slogan..
no one care how is their support, how they can have your back in urgent situations( they can't in fact, how you think they can when they put the equal priority on you and the others not-paid users ), no one care how their CTO is rude,
just blindly like their slogan.

Emsisoft is just an AV without any impressive support/feature, which is chanting user friendly slogans and have a good behavrio blocker. thats it.:D

I believe on the privacy statement and even though I like privacy I would prefer less of it vs more detection/Sha check of unknown files but as you read they won't do it for privacy reasons (maybe also to save "server capacity").
Their support exist, they answer your questions....Most of time once a day.
Is it perfect? No, if you have an infection you need more than 1 answer a day and also on the weekend.
Now, how do other AV do?
How is their support? Is it 24/7 with multiple answers x day? I don't know, but I doubt.
Their CTO definitely is like an "elephant in a crystal shop" not very listening to user suggestions, but I believe he is very competent.
Static detection is lately behind what it was and should be better (mostly because they use Bitdefender engine and signature ), in my opinion, but BB compensates incredibly well for this.
Could it be better? Sure.
Overall they provide great protection for a reasonable price.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I believe on the privacy statement and even though I like privacy I would prefer less of it vs more detection
i love your opinion in this. IMO Protection can devote for more Privacy, i'm paranoid about Companies Privacy terms ( yes i know it and i except this one. ) Emsisoft is one of the best in Privacy terms just like my Dr.Web and of course F-Secure.
Their support exist, they answer your questions....Most of time once a day.
their support put the equal priority on you ( as a paid-customer ) and another one which is another AV customer . is it fair? i don't think so! forget about fair, its not Ok, its bad ! you may be in a Urgent Situation, you will need a guy for yourself on your own system who is only focusing on your problem, they have only 1 guy in their forum which is answering in equal prirority on your problem and the other ! yes this may show them as a hero, but real-world is not such fantasy.. you may be in danger, everything always will not stay Ok.
Now, how do other AV do?
How is their support? Is it 24/7 with multiple answers x day? I don't know, but I doubt.
i tested every AV you know. Dr.Web will answer support tickets after 2minutes or maximum 1 hour (in every reply), they have 24/7 phone Support which answer you in less than 2 minutes even weekend and holidays, there are another companies which have the same support but i don't trust them in terms of privacy ( they are Kaspersky-Symantec-McAfee-AVG-Avast-GData )
Their CTO definitely is like an "elephant in a crystal shop" not very listening to user suggestions, but I believe he is very competent.
i seen his behave in their forum, so IMO he is rude.
Overall they provide great protection for a reasonable price.
100% for sure they are offering great Protection for a good and fair Price, but everything is not Protection and Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.