Advice Request Is Emsisoft really that good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Without any impressive support? Proves how ignorant you are when it comes to Emsisoft and the team behind it.

This single sentence threw away all your credibility when it comes to your opinion about Emsisoft.
Please read my previous posts i did explain my opinion completely, Emsisoft just test a trick, it worked for them, and this is the result ! a lot of fanboys becuase of their free Support for not-paid-customers ! BUT how is this really good for their paid customers? how they can be good to have their customers back? READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS :D

they was lucky and smart, this is impressive ;)
for your other questions just read my previous posts

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hi,

See people recommending Emsisoft all over the place here, and wondering, how can it bee so good? There are only few reviews out there, it employs only 30 people, yet the labs say good things. Any insight? What's so good about it?

Thanks
Prior to the date this thread was first posted, I had begun using Emsisoft Internet Security. I was surprised that I hadn't come across these related experiences and well founded answers to the questions above until today.
Likewise, I now feel from experience, Emisisoft to be a very worthy candidate for any user searching for an exceptional software product that is (imo) among the more thoroughly protective traditional AV/Firewall solutions available.
The behavioral blocker has been mentioned with accolades. I like it's alerts when suspicious behavior occurs which prompts ones decision to allow (once or always), block (once), or quarantine, processes related to the game "World of Tanks Blitz" particularly following a new major update to the game's server. By not "always allow"-ing, I remain on the safer side of error; and even when protected with the virtualization of Shadow Defender, Emsisoft (from personal experience) remains a secure and very practical choice.:)
I finally understand why, now, after having used it myself,;) why many (if not most) whom share their experienceso_O also recommend it strongly. Although my subscription recently expired, I continue to recommend it too, without hesitation!:D

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I have been using Emsisoft since version 6 and it is an amazing piece of software with a no nonsense approach to security, the support is superb and a cut above everything that the industry offers.

Experiences are subjective and while Mr. Pr could really had a bad experience, it doesnt reflect the vast user base of Emsisoft customers.

Anyone can search and read about Emsisoft "history" in Wilders Security and Bleeping Computer forums, they are "playing" in another league.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Experiences are subjective and while Mr. Pr could really had a bad experience,
my only bad experience was about Fabian Wosar bad Behavior. not their support, IMO their support is very good and impressive but not for their customers, they are a hero in normal situations for every people in the world, they are offering free of charge support for everyone even for those who didn't buy their product. well its great ! BUT till when? untill when you as a paid-customers can handle this equal priority between paid customers and the others? can you be Ok with that even if you be in an urgent situation? :D

Anyone can search and read
my interesting way. i will search in google and IT Security news websites i will look deep about everything i want in even oldest documents which i found from Google , this is the most-trusted way for everyone to looking for the answers himself :)

W

Wave

Just because the malware is running doesn't mean the behavior blocker isn't protecting you. It can simply mean that the malware hasn't exhibit any malicious behavior.

One of our developers let me know that this is expected behavior. The applications in question simply aren't doing anything that would cause them to be quarantined. They are almost certainly stuck trying to contact a C&C server that no longer exists, and thus they never actually do anything.
However this isn't always the case, sometimes malware genuinely does get missed; the BB cannot monitor and block everything. The information on that thread regarding the malware staying in memory but not doing anything will depend on a case-by-case basis.

That being said, the standard AV reviewers can barely do anything when it comes to malware analysis (no offense to them), sure they might be able to run the sample through an online scanner but I doubt they'll be able to reverse the samples manually through IDA Pro/a debugger to understand how it will really function, and invest the time into understanding how the actual product internals work, to allow them to make a proper report regarding which samples were honestly blocked dynamically or were missed...

Most of the YouTube reviewers are just students or even kids copying other successful reviewers... They might be able to setup a VM and download some malware to test if it's detected or not, but they won't have a clue on what is really going on in the background in regards to the security product and the malware itself (most of the time)... So they do the best they can really, and they do the reviews for free so it's not going to be A-grade.

Just thought I should point that out.

W

Wave

Please read my previous posts i did explain my opinion completely, Emsisoft just test a trick, it worked for them
If you're referring to the privacy, then you're completely wrong... Emsisoft genuinely care about the privacy of the user and they legally have to go by the privacy policy (breaching it will cause them law suits).

untill when you as a paid-customers can handle this equal priority between paid customers and the others? can you be Ok with that even if you be in an urgent situation? :D
The team behind Emsisoft are very nice and dedicated people who genuinely want to help people - they do a lot more than offer free malware removal assistance, they also spend time developing decryption tools for ransomware they have been able to successfully reverse the encryption algorithms on, and provide them for free. If there was a new ransomware threat which had a vulnerability which could be abused to reverse the encryption, instead of them publishing an article about it for attention/fame like Symantec have in the past, they'll use it to their ability to share round a decryption program silently to help people before a new version comes out with the vulnerability fix (as in the past).

I understand your point about the reply times for the malware removal support, but at the end of the day it's better than what some other vendors can do. Anyway, in the situation of the actual product refusing to remove a malicious detection and requesting you to go to the forum for support, what would you rather: wait a few days for support, or allow the program to automate the removal process and potentially mess something up?

my only bad experience was about Fabian Wosar bad Behavior. not their support
That's ridiculous, you shouldn't just down an entire company just because you don't like one staff member there.

Clearly you don't really know much about Emsisoft/how they work, you should invest some time learning about them properly because you might like them in the end.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
If you're referring to the privacy, then you're completely wrong
my problem is with their Customer service ( they have nit Customer Service in fact they are offering Everyone Service .LOL )
( noticed that this is showing them a hero to the world. but they cannot be a hero for their customers with this conditions in urgent situations, they need to put higher priority on their customers cases. thats it ! )
The team behind Emsisoft are very nice and dedicated people who genuinely want to help people - they do a lot more than offer free malware removal assistance, they also spend time developing decryption tools for ransomware they have been able to successfully reverse the encryption algorithms on, and provide them for free.
i know i knowww they are great they are really helpfull i know i was their paid-user 2015-2016. but sometimes, just doing a lot of works is not enough ! i hope you one day underestand that my friend, what are they doing is great but not enough specialy for their customers. how much hard they work, still cannot have their customers back in hard situations while they have equal priority for their customers and the other people.
That's ridiculous, you shouldn't just down an entire company just because you don't like one staff member there.
i never claimed that Emsisoft is a bad company( its not a company in fact its just a community of some programmer :D which is interesting! not offend )

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
i love your opinion in this. IMO Protection can devote for more Privacy, i'm paranoid about Companies Privacy terms ( yes i know it and i except this one. ) Emsisoft is one of the best in Privacy terms just like my Dr.Web and of course F-Secure.

their support put the equal priority on you ( as a paid-customer ) and another one which is another AV customer . is it fair? i don't think so! forget about fair, its not Ok, its bad ! you may be in a Urgent Situation, you will need a guy for yourself on your own system who is only focusing on your problem, they have only 1 guy in their forum which is answering in equal prirority on your problem and the other ! yes this may show them as a hero, but real-world is not such fantasy.. you may be in danger, everything always will not stay Ok.

i tested every AV you know. Dr.Web will answer support tickets after 2minutes or maximum 1 hour (in every reply), they have 24/7 phone Support which answer you in less than 2 minutes even weekend and holidays, there are another companies which have the same support but i don't trust them in terms of privacy ( they are Kaspersky-Symantec-McAfee-AVG-Avast-GData )

i seen his behave in their forum, so IMO he is rude.

100% for sure they are offering great Protection for a good and fair Price, but everything is not Protection and Price.

Would you mind elaborating on your opinion of Kaspersky and privacy as that has been the reason for my hesitation for not going with them in the past? BTW..Still don't think I'm over Ragnar yet :(

D

Deleted member 178

@Mr.Pr

I believe you know little about Emsisoft... I am a retired closed-beta tester for them , retired because the signature model is now obsolete to my needs and they abandoned Online Armor.

- About efficiency: EAM/EIS is far from being average, it possess the best BB (in my opinion) on the market (ex-mamutu) , the signature engine is ok (BD engine + their own) , EIS' FW was made from the core code of from Online Armor , best home user FW ever made.

- About the company: they are very small , maybe less than 20, i don't have the actual number of employees, which have influence over support response time.

- About support: they are quite reactive compared to some where you have to wait days before getting a reply... you look annoyed that because you pay , you have to be treated differently? EAM have free customers as well. To me it is great that a free user is considered as a paid one. Free or paid , a customer is the same when he gets infected. If i follow your mindset, rich people should have a immediate response from a dedicated doctor in hospital, while poor ones have to wait and die...great... :rolleyes:

If you are in great danger of infection and you worry so much, don't wait for support, save sensitive datas , reformat your system and restore a backup image. it is what i do ! do you think i will waste my time writing a mail and waiting an answer while the infection is propagating on my system ! seriously...

And most important , about the devs , they interact with their users and listen their requests, it is why you have now EIS as a full suite with simplicity in mind (not my style however, i preferred the old one : OA + EAM).
And tell me which vendors delivers free apps to decrypt ransomware encryption when you are infected. None ! only Emsisoft.

So when i read your comment , i see someone which surely had some issues with Emsisoft , not someone neutral.
I guess you were infected and had to wait too long for your taste because you paid...boo boooo...spoiled kid...

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Emsisoft is actually better than some tests indicate.

Normal tester's methods are.
1. URL/Phishing test
2. Scan a folder filled with malware
3. The files that aren't detected and deleted, are executed to prompt a reaction from the AV's proactive component.
Usually they use applications like process explorer(enabling virustotal) to check whether a malware is running. If it is running, it is considered by the tester that the AV failed to detect and protect the system.

However this way of testing isn't exactly accurate at least in regard to Emsisoft.
Behavior blocker - monitoring files
Anyone that is going to test Emsisoft(and those watching those tests) should really read this thread.

Just because the malware is running doesn't mean the behavior blocker isn't protecting you. It can simply mean that the malware hasn't exhibit any malicious behavior.

One of our developers let me know that this is expected behavior. The applications in question simply aren't doing anything that would cause them to be quarantined. They are almost certainly stuck trying to contact a C&C server that no longer exists, and thus they never actually do anything.
Excellent words my friend.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
At the end of the day, it's important to remember, a little better or a little worst, Emsisoft is another of hundreds security software, and may have its up and downs. I still stick to the argument that despite little differences. a user must choose what fits the best for him and not according to a detection rate.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I actually agree that Fabian Wosar needs to work on his public relations. :D Probably, his intention is only to be frank and straightforward, but this may be seen as rude by others.

Nevertheless, I consider Emsisoft, the company and its products, to be excellent. In fact, I recommend it.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I believe you know little about Emsisoft... I am a retired closed-beta tester for them
just search my nickname in their Forum, to see i know enough about Emsisoft, i was with them enough.
best home user FW ever made.
you just ignored ZoneAlarm - outpost - Dr.Web Firewalls
they are very small
its not a problem.
If i follow your mindset, rich people should have a immediate response from a dedicated doctor in hospital, while poor ones have to wait and die...great...
world is not such beautifull that Emsisoft trying to show you my friend. when you pay you are buying also services, those services what are they? support is most-important one of them. you will have support of course , BUT with equal priority with free users which is fault and Bad even in terms of Marketing Basic Rules. as i said its just a trick from Emsisoft to give more users ( i have their Support email they confirmed it )
And tell me which vendors delivers free apps to decrypt ransomware encryption when you are infected. None ! only Emsisoft.
very very great i like Emsisoft too believe me ! i just don't like their Support conditions thats it !
I guess you were infected and had to wait too long for your taste because you paid...boo boooo...spoiled kid...
i am a person who believe Support is more improtant than Protection. becuase i know 100% security is not exists, then you fill infect allways finally. so you'll need to have a backup , someone who have your back in hard situations. if you want to have your back yourslef , so why even buy a AV with Support services ?!! , in my tests, nothing is personal, i think i'm the only person in this forum and in soft98 ( its an Iranian Forum ) which decided to test only Customer Services in AV companies , my believes are not for a personal problem, i didn't have to wait for their support and this is not why i don't like them, in fact i like them, my problem is just about their Support, i'm not saying they are not doing their best, BUT sometimes just doing your best is not enough right? we all know that :D hope you underestand what i'm trying to say my friend
Would you mind elaborating on your opinion of Kaspersky and privacy as that has been the reason for my hesitation for not going with them in the past? BTW..Still don't think I'm over Ragnar yet :(
there is just some rumors about that they are working with KGB ( i heard that even from one of their Staffs and Russian people ) , but i didnt find any documention for that, i just don't want to trust a company which everyone heard that they are working to KGB and the company is silent about that ! Hail King Ragnar btw xD

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

becuase i know 100% security is not exists, then you fill infect allways finally. so you'll need to have a backup , someone who have your back in hard situations. if you want to have your back yourslef , so why even buy a AV with Support services ?!
"Backup plan" for me would mean that i invest my time to backup my important files to cloud/external drive and make full system image for example with Macrium Reflect Free, and in case something happens, i can restore to clean state and not blame my paid AV vendor (Emsisoft) or go to their forum and cry that my system got infected while using their product and because i paid i want immediate help. I dont like the idea to trust things like "Comodo Geek Buddy". I'd rather learn how to clean/restore system myself, than pay extra $ for unnecasary services. I like Emsisoft company and will continue to use their products. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.