Advice Request Is Epic Browser safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
header4.jpg

Is this safe to install ? - https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Emsisoft block download...

Clipboard01.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Clipboard01.jpg
Emsisoft's blocking of the download site as :eek:malicious gives us reason for concern. On the other hand, members' respective testomonials are a green light of sorts in terms of hands on testing.
Perhaps those whom have not yet experienced Epic Browser personally (..like myself.:rolleyes:) would best proceed as though the traffic light is a bright yellow, being certain to look both ways whilst not stepping haphazardly into any malware potholes!;):D
..and take off those sunglasses if it's dark!:cool:

bilou54

Jun 1, 2018
header4.jpg

Is this safe to install ? - https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Just been doing a search the last couple of months to find a browser that is high on the privacy side and that I can trust.

Worth dropping my few cents in case anyone else is doing the same and lands here. I've used Firefox, Waterfox, and Pale Moon over the years, but Firefox has gone weird and obsoleted all the wonderful add-ons I came to be ultra-comfortable with. They've also killed off the interface apis so you have to live with the out-of-the-box tabs and bars. I can't, I run three bars, one for controlling Flash, JavaS, Styles, Proxy etc, one for download helpers and privacy stuff I use all the time like noscript, ublock, anti-canvas and so on, and then the bookmarks bar.

Epic, Cyber Dragon and Ungooglechromium were the first candidates from a quick search. None of them turned out to be suitable, sigh!
Further Googling and Ecosia-ing (try it - it's souped up Bing with better privacy) I decided what I was going to standardize on for the next couple of years (as long as it all works).

Epic is said to have leaks to disk, doesn't allow change of search engine which is how, reviews say, it monetizes the thing. Also runs permanently in incognito, which is fine - except that kills a lot of sites. There own site doesn't give enough detail to be sure the reviewers were correct (note: skip any reviews that just paraphrase the marketing hype. Those are 90% of the reviews you can find. Look for ones where they actually did more testing).

Cyberdragon hasn't been updated in years.

Ungooglechromium is said to be a student's project, so the chances it will be kept up-to-date are nil.

Finally looked again at Waterfox and Pale Moon again. Pale Moon is a bit ancient under the hood though there are some really nice ideas there. But Waterfox is doing something that made me smile. Alex94 is keeping the fork from Firefox (3 out of 10 points), keeping the old xul and com apis, so my add-ons, or most will still work (3 out of 10 points), AND slowing down the releases by using the ESR releases (Extended Service Updates only) (3 out of 10 points).

So the winner is Waterfox with 9 out of 10 points against the others at 0 out of 10 points. Modifications: RAM cache only (nothing hits disk), no-script and all other add-ons set to not update (and blocked at firewall if they try). Can run incognito/private mode in two separate windows or separate tabs at my choice. Oh, and there's a fully portable version. Can also switch to firefox's e-10s (multi-thread) mode if i want, it seems to temporarily disable any add-ons that aren't compatible automatically.

So all I need now is a VPN that REALLY doesn't carry logs AND accepts bitcoin. Not and easy choice if you look at the underground web pages, to see if they really don't log, but I'll find one. No, thinking about it, I really need two VPNs. A basic one to set up and debug/fix problems and the final one. So maybe Hola or Hoxx and then NordVPN or something like it.

More fun to come

Last edited:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Just been doing a search the last couple of months to find a browser that is high on the privacy side and that I can trust.

Worth dropping my few cents in case anyone else is doing the same and lands here. I've used Firefox, Waterfox, and Pale Moon over the years, but Firefox has gone weird and obsoleted all the wonderful add-ons I came to be ultra-comfortable with. They've also killed off the interface apis so you have to live with the out-of-the-box tabs and bars. I can't, I run three bars, one for controlling Flash, JavaS, Styles, Proxy etc, one for download helpers and privacy stuff I use all the time like noscript, ublock, anti-canvas and so on, and then the bookmarks bar.

Epic, Cyber Dragon and Ungooglechromium were the first candidates from a quick search. None of them turned out to be suitable, sigh!
Further Googling and Ecosia-ing (try it - it's souped up Bing with better privacy) I decided what I was going to standardize on for the next couple of years (as long as it all works).

Epic is said to have leaks to disk, doesn't allow change of search engine which is how, reviews say, it monetizes the thing. Also runs permanently in incognito, which is fine - except that kills a lot of sites. There own site doesn't give enough detail to be sure the reviewers were correct (note: skip any reviews that just paraphrase the marketing hype. Those are 90% of the reviews you can find. Look for ones where they actually did more testing).

Cyberdragon hasn't been updated in years.

Ungooglechromium is said to be a student's project, so the chances it will be kept up-to-date are nil.

Finally looked again at Waterfox and Pale Moon again. Pale Moon is a bit ancient under the hood though there are some really nice ideas there. But Waterfox is doing something that made me smile. Alex94 is keeping the fork from Firefox (3 out of 10 points), keeping the old xul and com apis, so my add-ons, or most will still work (3 out of 10 points), AND slowing down the releases by using the ESR releases (Extended Service Updates only) (3 out of 10 points).

So the winner is Waterfox with 9 out of 10 points against the others at 0 out of 10 points. Modifications: RAM cache only (nothing hits disk), no-script and all other add-ons set to not update (and blocked at firewall if they try). Can run incognito/private mode in two separate windows or separate tabs at my choice. Oh, and there's a fully portable version. Can also switch to firefox's e-10s (multi-thread) mode if i want, it seems to temporarily disable any add-ons that aren't compatible automatically.

So all I need now is a VPN that REALLY doesn't carry logs AND accepts bitcoin. Not and easy choice if you look at the underground web pages, to see if they really don't log, but I'll find one. No, thinking about it, I really need two VPNs. A basic one to set up and debug/fix problems and the final one. So maybe Hola or Hoxx and then NordVPN or something like it.

More fun to come
You should also try Comodo Ice Dragon, works very well for me ,it's really fast, many safety and privacy features, and all the extensions you can have in Mozilla browser.In fact is the only browser i tried,combined with uBlock, that blocked all browser redirects.

Aerdian

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2018
@bilou54 can you tell us your opinion about Brave browser?

I know I'm not @bilou54 , but I currently use the Brave browser as my default browser and I love it. It has a really good ad blocker built in. I haven't had any problems with it missing any ads. Do be aware, however, that you may have to disable it on some websites. I have had some problems where a captcha won't come up on sites or other things similar to that and have even had some problems where there would be a white screen. Just turn the blocker off for that site and it should stay off, so it's not a big deal. I have noted that it is a bit slow on older hardware compared to some other browsers, so if you have an old system, you may want to use a different browser. I love how it has essentially almost all the extensions I would install on Chrome or Firefox already built-in, like the ad-blocker, tracker blocker, etc.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@bilou54 can you tell us your opinion about Brave browser?
For IOS, it has many interesting built-in features like an adblocker, script blocker, fingerprinting protection, https everywhere and phishing protection.

You can use touch ID to lock/unlock the browser.

You can choose various password managers. Like Lastpass, 1Password, bitwarden and True Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.