Advice Request Is F-Secure sleeping?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
It's apparently detected also on VT. My best guess is that Deepguard don't find the actual file malicious when it's executed. Best advice is to send this to their support and ask them to check.

Update :

In this case F-Secure doesn't clean/delete the file after the static scan. Normally it does that automatic for most malicious files without any interaction, but it does work when quarantine the file.

I found the file on AnyRun so I fixed the submission and just waiting for a reply. I'll update here when I got the answer back.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I just got a reply from the support saying the file is found to be malicious and immediately blocked via their Security Cloud. 🤷‍♂️

@marcopaone , test first to manually update the AV, unless it already done that itself. Now again try execute/run that file and let us know what happened. If it don't work we probably needs this tested and fully confirmed also with the stable version.

marcopaone

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
I just got a reply from the support saying the file is found to be malicious and immediately blocked via their Security Cloud. 🤷‍♂️

@marcopaone , test first to manually update the AV, unless it already done that itself. Now again try execute/run that file and let us know what happened. If it don't work we probably needs this tested and fully confirmed also with the stable version.
Same result as before.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This it's serious, an AV detecting a malicious file but allowing the user to execute it without warnings will result in infected computers.

Try contacting them again and explain the severity of this bug.
Yes, and no. I think one should remember the first initial report and what version it was found in.
Edit: i'm using the beta version.
And what is Beta versions normally known for?
bugs.gif
This 100% for sure now, also needs a full confirmation on the stable version. Now if it's the exact same issue, then I would not hesitate for a second to report this again to the official support, and as I still have the support case number, that can easy be re-opened.

@marcopaone , I do hope you also reported this in the Beta channel on F-Secures forum as I know their official developers do visit those threads, so this " bug " would more then likely get fixed much faster if they also saw it, then us slowly turning the wheels here.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Huge thanks @harlan4096 for the assist and checking with a test on the latest stable version.

This gets a Protected, but not Clean verdict as the msi file leaves a changed registry key. The file auto terminate without no other trace on the system. No outbound connections. SOS ( second opinion scan ) after reboot was also done and found nothing.

I'm sending this to F-Secures support, and as before will update here as soon I get a reply.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Yeah yikes this definitely sounds like a bug, where execution based scanning is somehow ignoring MSIs. I'm guessing some point after the malicious MSI drops its payload onto the system it'll get detected but given how bad F-Secure is at cleanup, it needs to be blocked before it actually gets a chance to run.

Hopefully F-Secure takes the bug report seriously. I've gotten some fairly fast responses filing bugs in their beta programs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.