Is iolo System Mechanic Pro any good ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Their registry cleaner is safe as it gets (trough their backup routine). But registry cleaners are a tricky thing, that is why advised it in a post before to who ever use them to stick to one of them. Nowadays reg cleaners are far better than before.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
D

Deleted member 178

i had to fix some PCs after Sys Mech "intervention" but none where Ccleaner was on.

for beginners to advanced users Ccleaner is just enough.

Reactions: toffee and Venustus

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Sys Mech is good but some tools if badly used will screw your system especially the registry cleaner
Are Registry Cleaners really have high-risks? Microsoft strongly discourages the use of registry cleaners, calling them snake oil.

I am not willing to use the registry cleaner/registry defragmenter of SM...

And about boot-time defrag of SM, I am afraid to try it, because commonly 3rd-party defragmenters corrupts the hybrid shutdown/hibernate feature of Windows 8. It happened with Puran Defrag that I had to reinstall Windows 8.1

However, SM is great in preventing lags.

Reactions: Littlebits

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I'm not sure SM is good, I tested it 30 days and apart of starting 'useless ?' services that slow down your startup, all I felt was a placebo effect.

D

Deleted member 178

Defragmenter : i use only Windows built-in one; anyway in Win8 even you use a 3rd party one , Win8 will rearrange the clusters as it see fit during its maintenance.
Registry Cleaner: CCleaner only ; never had any issue since i use it

Reactions: Littlebits

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Defragmenter : i use only Windows built-in one; anyway in Win8 even you use a 3rd party one , Win8 will rearrange the clusters as it see fit during its maintenance.
Registry Cleaner: CCleaner only ; never had any issue since i use it
Thanks for the input.

Yes, I know that about the Windows defragmenter. That's why I have disabled the weekly Optimization/Defrag of Windows. However, I will not disable the Automatic Maintenance found in the Action Center in the Tray Icon. Will automatic maintenance still optimize/defrag my hard disk even if I have turned off the automatic optimize/defrag?

About the Registry Cleaner, so do you mean all categories are checked in CCleaner when you do registry cleaning? That's awesome, if you never had an issue with it. That would mean CCleaner is almost error-free in registry cleaning....

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
You know what kills me on this forum,why will you trust iobit on a pc when it comes packed with pup's,pua's & hidden agendas, i don't use iolo system mechanic on my pc at the moment but i use to & i can say it is uh dam good program,when someone can recommend ASCP over SM then something is sincerely wrong,leaving me puzzled.

When u use these programs make sure to have TwinHeadedEagle at your service.Lol
That's iolo, not iobit.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
ANSWER: YES!

Many useful tools on the free version alone. A trustworthy company, like Piriform is.

Removes a ton of broken shortcuts (w/deep scanning) and PC Clean up can reach GB's (deep scanning) much more advanced tools then CCleaner. It also deletes temporary windows files and obsolete stuff, great organizer for making and keeping registry backups. An excellent drive defragmenting tool, one of the faster ones and it's thorough.

Avoid the registry cleaner. Many users have had problems with cleaning keys on Windows 8.

I am dissapointed though with System Mechanic Version 14... there's a live boost now, which only works with a paid version (I use the free one) and it took over the registry defrag/boost from being free. :p

My favorite version is 12.5

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
You may want to take a little byte out of this as food for thought. CCleaner is usually recommended if you want a one-click tool that works and is safe. Other similar tools seem appealing with extra features. Consider the following random examples for comparison:

- Some tools delete a lot of 'useless Windows junk' that CCleaner leaves behind
This 'useless junk' may include update uninstallers, for example. Deleting them means that in the unlikely case that you'll want to delete a Windows update, you won't be able to do that. There's lots of Windows backup files that are not needed often, but may be critical to avoid system errors.

- Some tools delete a lot more temporary files than CCleaner
And that also may or may not be good. By default, CCleaner deletes only temporary files that have not been used in the last 24 hours. This means that it will leave some obsolete files (which can be deleted tomorrow), but also means that temporary files that are currently in use will not be deleted. Too many temp files may slow things down, but temp files exist for a reason.

If you are not ready to consider all the consequences of junk file and registry cleaning, then stick to CCleaner and don't change any default setting unless you understand it.

Bon appétit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.