Question Is it *Mandatory* to own a Microsoft account to: 1) Install Windows 11? and 2) Use all OS features?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cannot appear to find a definite answer for this, do you need a MS account to install and set-up Windows 11 on a new device?

What are the benefits to linking your Microsoft account to your Windows 11 device?

Mar 7, 2020
There are ways around it, like killing a process in task manager while setting it up, since apparently Microsoft removed the "I don't have internet" button. Without workarounds, Microsoft is essentially forcing users to log in using a Microsoft account. According to some users on Reddit, Bitlocker keys are backed up on the cloud, you get auto-sign in to Microsoft 365 services/products, and there could be some benefits related to the Microsoft Store. Could be more benefits/drawbacks though.

Nevermind, through Rufus seems to work, as .I Walk MY Way says.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
"No it is not" needed to have a MS account or "no it is not" needed to do this, press SHIFT-F10 on the third boot and typing in "OOBE/BYPASSNRO??
You don't need a Microsoft account. But in order to use a local account, you can do the above steps, or there is an easier way. Enter no@thankyou.com when asked to sign into your Microsoft account, followed by a random password. You will then be given the option to create a local account.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You don't need a Microsoft account. But in order to use a local account, you can do the above steps, or there is an easier way. Enter no@thankyou.com when asked to sign into your Microsoft account, followed by a random password. You will then be given the option to create a local account.
It used to work but sadly it doesn't work anymore. When I reinstalled Windows a couple of months ago, it didn't work.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What are the benefits to linking your Microsoft account to your Windows 11 device?
Security - a local password can be easily bypassed by a child, even using utilman/sethc method.
MSA uses PIN, which can not be entered remotely, regardless if the hacker knows the password.
PIN does not matter, you can use 0000, it does not really matter, because it has to be entered locally.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.