Question Is it possible for malware to disguise itself as a system app? If so, how do I remove them?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DylNye

Thread author
Apr 20, 2023
I have 400+ system apps with strange permissions. Most of them I'm unable to change the permissions for because they are grayed out and say my device requires them to operate. They also don't have an uninstall buttons, just a disable and a force stop button. The disable button is grayed out on most of them and some don't have any buttons.

MrMr

Level 1
Apr 20, 2023
Afaik its pretty rare for a sysapp to be infected because all files are signed and validated by the Operation System but there have been viruses lately that use sysapps to do malicious things.
Android is known to be too generous with file permissions by default (which was toned down a little on A13).
What you could do for starters is boot your phone into recovery mode (that's usually holding the power button and Volume+ or Vol- depending on your phone). There is generally a "integrity check" option there.
Stern running that make sure your phone and Google security are up to date and do a playstore scan.
Afterwards you can always download an antivirus for a one time check.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, it is possible for malware to disguise itself as a system app. Malicious actors may do this to gain elevated permissions and make it harder for users to identify and remove the malware. Here are some steps you can follow to identify and remove such malware:

1. Install a reputable antivirus app: First and foremost, install a reliable antivirus or anti-malware app from a trusted source. These apps can scan your device for malware and help you remove them.

2. Check app details: Look for the package name and developer information for each suspicious app. You can find this information in the app settings or by using a third-party app like App Inspector. Compare the package name and developer information with official app listings on the Google Play Store or Apple App Store to verify if the app is legitimate.

3. Safe mode: Boot your device into safe mode, which disables third-party apps temporarily. If your device runs smoothly in safe mode and you don't experience the same issues, it's possible that a third-party app, potentially malware, is causing the problem.

4. Factory reset: If you're still having issues and can't identify the malicious app, you may need to perform a factory reset. This will remove all data and apps from your device, so make sure to back up important files before proceeding. To perform a factory reset, go to your device's settings and look for the "Backup & Reset" or "System" option.

5. Stay cautious: Always be cautious when installing apps from unknown sources. Stick to official app stores and avoid downloading apps from third-party websites. Additionally, keep your device's operating system and apps up-to-date to ensure you have the latest security patches.

Note that some system apps with strange permissions might be legitimate and necessary for your device to function properly. These apps could be from your device's manufacturer or your mobile carrier. However, if you suspect that an app is malicious, it's essential to take the necessary steps to remove it and protect your device.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have 400+ system apps with strange permissions. Most of them I'm unable to change the permissions for because they are grayed out and say my device requires them to operate. They also don't have an uninstall buttons, just a disable and a force stop button. The disable button is grayed out on most of them and some don't have any buttons.
I presume you are talking about an Android phone or tablet, rather than a PC?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.