Advice Request Is KIS really better at protection then KSC Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Kaspersky has wayyyy better signatures then avast any day of the week. what's not caught by kaspersky's signatures will be caught by system-watcher. I have only seen very select few pieces of ransomware get past it. Nothing is 100% but kaspersky free is very top notch itself.

If system watcher was complete, there wouldn't be a need for the Application Control module. of course non of those stop everything, but I prefer to have both types of protection than only one.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
They both have great signatures anyway, and that's not the most important thing for 0-day. It's about how they can prevent new/unknown stuff.

Reactions: [correlate]

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Prefer KIS, I at the end of last year got a deal from Kaspersky @10 seats for 2 years for under £50 UK Pounds. I appreciate costs are different in other parts of the world but for me advantages of KIS over free - Both give decent [protection though, maybe the best?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From what I know KSC is a replacement of KAV with a few extras. So if you compare KSC with KIS you can see it lacks the intenet fetaures of KIS like firewall and HIPS

KSC features comparison between Free, Personal and Family

A short review of protection and what have and have not in features here

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
KSC by itself offers a good protection (KSN + System Watcher), I use KIS because it's free with my ISP (the owner has a russian name so I guess he managed to get a good deal and because they're also the largest ISP of the country)
Well well well.. Careful, he has russian friends :cool:
Due to my professional area, I've been in contact with russians since I was 7 years old. Never once any of them offered me a Kaspersky subscription.
I might ask...

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Well well well.. Careful, he has russian friends :cool:
Due to my professional area, I've been in contact russians since I'm 7 years old. Never once any of them gave me a Kaspersky subscription.
I might ask...
Going a bit off topic, he got acussed several times for money laundering, tax evation and bribing the previous govt authorities and had to pay $13.5M in penalties to the ecuadorian state.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The free version doesn't have the Application Control module, that's the main thing... And why I switched to Avast free.
(that and unlimited password manager).
The Password Manager reference is irrelevant. Both Avast and Kaspersky offer Free and Premium-tiered Password Managers. Kaspersky Free Cloud users can use Kaspersky Password Manager, should they wish. However, more to the point third-party solutions are superior and consumer-friendly. No locked-in AV bundles or limitations to saving passwords.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Can't you just use a kav trial license to change settings then come back to the free one every time you need to change settings ?
For firewall you can use my config for firewall only under the no time limit SEP thread.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
The Password Manager reference is irrelevant. Both Avast and Kaspersky offer Free and Premium-tiered Password Managers. Kaspersky Free Cloud users can use Kaspersky Password Manager, should they wish. However, more to the point third-party solutions are superior and consumer-friendly. No locked-in AV bundles or limitations to saving passwords.
You should be more informed. Kaspersky's Password Manager limits you to 15 passwords in the free version, Avasts one has no limitations. That's why it's relevant and why I specifically wrote "unlimited password manager".
Another advantage of the Avast Password manager is that it's built inside the Antivirus, with Kaspersky you have to download and install a separate program that will be running on your system.

Last edited:

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
You should be more informed. Kaspersky's Password Manager limits you to 15 passwords in the free version, Avasts one has no limitations. That's why it's relevant and why I specifically wrote "unlimited password manager".
Another advantage of the Avast Password manager is that it's built inside the Antivirus, with Kaspersky you have to download and install a separate program running on your system.
It's pointless to compare the password manager of each AV when there are 3rd party alternatives that are way better in each aspect.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.