Advice Request Is KIS really better at protection then KSC Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
It's pointless to compare the password manager of each AV when there are 3rd party alternatives that are way better in each aspect.
What exactly do they do better? I don't miss anything... I prefer to have all in the same place than to get yet another 3rd party.

Reactions: fabiobr

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
What exactly do they do better? I don't miss anything... I prefer to have all in the same place than to get yet another 3rd party.
You can access your vault from a web app, no need to run anything else in the client side so you can change your AV whetever you want without incompatibilities or having to pay extra money. I need an AV to protect my system, not to babysit me and try to replace every single program I have installed.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
You can access your vault from a web app, no need to run anything else in the client side so you can change your AV whetever you want without incompatibilities or having to pay extra money. I need an AV to protect my system, not to babysit me and try to replace every single program I have installed.
You can also access the vault from the browser extension.. I don't see what's the point.
If I really need to change AV it's always possible to export and import the passwords, the same way one can need/decide to change password manager when using any 3rd party.
In my case it's not replacing anything, I use it because it's there, it's very good and useful, I wouldn't use another program just for passwords.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
The Password Manager wasn't a deciding factor, only a bonus... Shame that people decide to focus on it and divert attention from the main point, leading to offtopic. Funny that the same thing happened in the other thread.

Last edited:

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
It's a good question. Does anyone know of a test that was done, comparing Kaspersky free to KIS?
The free version doesn't have the Application Control module, that's the main thing.

Other than that it's mainly about extras. I think a test comparing the two is not easy to find. It's always either one or the other.

Imo it's not worth to buy. Just use KSCF or Avast Free, both offer top protection.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In KIS/KTS You have AC, and You can tweak it to harden the system (just with 1 simple tweak or with a few or lots of advanced ones, You decide), without the need of 3rd party tools... but it's on the user side to study and learn how works his security suite and how to tweak it...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should be more informed. Kaspersky's Password Manager limits you to 15 passwords in the free version, Avasts one has no limitations. That's why it's relevant and why I specifically wrote "unlimited password manager".
Another advantage of the Avast Password manager is that it's built inside the Antivirus, with Kaspersky you have to download and install a separate program that will be running on your system.
I covered it with "No locked-in AV bundles or limitations to saving passwords".

Kaspersky Password Manager is optional for KSC Free users, meaning should existing Kaspersky Free users want to switch to another Antivirus, they can. And that is where the problem lies with Avast Passwords, the user cannot use it without installing Avast Antivirus* for Windows. On macOS, Android and iOS a standalone Passwords client is available, and nothing advertised for Linux users.

*Edit: Corrected to say - installing Avast Passwords Antivirus for Windows.

I am fairly informed, I bought Avast Passwords Premium in April 2016 (1 PC, 1 Year) which I paid via Digital River Ireland Ltd website, and prior to posting I have a 3-4 tabs open with the software product pages, search results and recent product reviews.

Third-party solutions are consumer-friendly, cross-platform and offer flexibility as their services are dedicated to the management of sensitive user data. The developer team can focus on improving their software, responding to use feedback and offer subscriptions that users want to pay for.

Kaspersky Password Manager Premium offers unlimited saving of passwords, whereas the Free version is limited to 15.
Avast Passwords Premium offers One-Touch Logins and Password Guardian, which monitor and notify when your accounts are exposed in a hack.

You can also access the vault from the browser extension.. I don't see what's the point.
If I really need to change AV it's always possible to export and import the passwords, the same way one can need/decide to change password manager when using any 3rd party.
In my case it's not replacing anything, I use it because it's there, it's very good and useful, I wouldn't use another program just for passwords.
I am having a hard time finding 'Avast Passwords' extension in the Chrome Web Store. Does only work with the Passwords component** client installed? (For example, this Microsoft browser extension won't work without meeting the requirements).

**Edit: Corrected to say - Password components

Speculating here, I believe most users stay with a single service for many years, unless their hands are forced (ie. discontinuation, buy-outs, bad business practices, hacked etc.)

Should you wish to switch from Avast Passwords, I currently highly recommend checking out either Bitwarden (open-source) or LastPass (proprietary). As a bonus, you don't need to change your AV, simply uninstall the Passwords component.

The Password Manager wasn't a deciding factor, only a bonus... Shame that people decide to focus on it and divert attention from the main point, leading to offtopic. Funny that the same thing happened in the other thread.
I understand it was not the deciding factor, and not intended to steer the thread off-topic, but choosing a Security AV vendor's password management solution only locks-you into their services.

To swing this back on-topic about Kaspersky, having no password manager in a Free Antivirus such as Kaspersky Security Cloud Free is a bonus.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.