Advice Request Is Malwarebytes in Real-Time worth running with another AV?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I have a lifetime license for Malwarebytes Premium.
This is my current setup.
Im wondering if I should activate Malwarebytes Premium in realtime. I already have Bitdefender Free running and I want to keep the PC ligth and smooth.
Open to all sugestions.
Thanks to all

Reactions: Rengar

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
you can turn on realtime protection of Malwarebytes, bitdefender free only gives you basic protection with only relying on signatures. With malwarebytes, you can have good exploit protection and recent malware protection. After the new release, Malwarebytes seems little more heavy but with time it will get stable and light on system resources. Also, it depends on your usage, if you are a normal user and use internet with known sites then you don't need, So, in short give it a try turn-on and you will get the difference. If it is not effective, you can deactivate it any time ;).

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Bitdefender free does not get along with Malwarebytes Premium, as I tried to install BD Free while have MB already installed. Bitdefender would not install without uninstalling MB, even though I didn't have any MB processes running at the time, just the fact that MB Premium was on my system BD did not like.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
you can turn on realtime protection of Malwarebytes, bitdefender free only gives you basic protection with only relying on signatures. With malwarebytes, you can have good exploit protection and recent malware protection. After the new release, Malwarebytes seems little more heavy but with time it will get stable and light on system resources. Also, it depends on your usage, if you are a normal user and use internet with known sites then you don't need, So, in short give it a try turn-on and you will get the difference. If it is not effective, you can deactivate it any time ;).

Thanks. I'm gonna give it a try.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Bitdefender free does not get along with Malwarebytes Premium, as I tried to install BD Free while have MB already installed. Bitdefender would not install without uninstalling MB, even though I didn't have any MB processes running at the time, just the fact that MB Premium was on my system BD did not like.

I'll keep that in mind. What if Mbam is installed after Bitdefender?

W

Wave

Honestly I think that Bitdefender would be sufficient enough and I recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand as opposed to real-time since I do not think that MBAM is as great as some others think but this is just my own perspective. Of course upgrading to BD paid would be even better but only if you need the additional functionality

Although if you do decide to use both, white-list each other, they should work fine anyway.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Be aware that there has been a huge amount of issues reported about MBAM 3 on Malwarebytes forums. I would advise to be careful and make sure you have a backup (restore image and/or system restore) in case something goes wrong.

You can look at the forum to see if anyone had any issue with Bitdefender and Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes 3.0

W

Wave

Be aware that there has been a huge amount of issues reported about Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 3 on Malwarebytes forums. I would advise to be careful and make sure you have a backup (restore image and/or system restore) in case something goes wrong.
Every day when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I think about is, "When will Malwarebytes finally move back to their original second-opinion place, or just shut down their website and leave the industry?"

Hopefully they do the latter ASAP :D

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Every day when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I think about is, "When will Malwarebytes finally move back to their original second-opinion place, or just shut down their website and leave the industry?"

Hopefully they do the latter ASAP :D

I also agree that they should never wanted to replace an AV. Mbam will always be an Anti-malware.

Reactions: Rengar and WinXPert

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Honestly I think that Bitdefender would be sufficient enough and I recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on-demand as opposed to real-time since I do not think that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is as great as some others think but this is just my own perspective. Of course upgrading to BD paid would be even better but only if you need the additional functionality

Although if you do decide to use both, white-list each other, they should work fine anyway.

Sure, I have regular backups. Thanks for your recommendation.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try Premium with the 14-day Trial (if available) so you don't end up activating your Lifetime license if things don't go to plan.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
BD in real time. MBAM for in demand scanning. IMO MBAM is too bloated these days and just a waste of resources running in real time.

Reactions: Rengar and brod56

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
IMO Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is too bloated these days and just a waste of resources running in real time.
New Malwarebytes is just called Malwarebytes (no "Anti-Malware" in the name). Do you use Malwarebytes on-demand?

I stopped using it when they released version 2.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
New Malwarebytes is just called Malwarebytes (no "Anti-Malware" in the name). Do you use Malwarebytes on-demand?

I stopped using it when they released version 2.

Not anymore, since it became too heavy on resources, slow update and slow scanning. I have MBAM v2 Premium but it has been uninstalled ages ago.

Reactions: Rengar and Ink

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I think it (Malwarebytes 3.0) would be a great addition to Bitdefender free. With the aggressive web protection, and excellent protection against PUPs combined with Anti-exploit and Anti-Ransomware, it will definitely bolster your protection.Give it a try :)

Reactions: Rengar and brod56

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Try Premium with the 14-day Trial (if available) so you don't end up activating your Lifetime license if things don't go to plan.

My lifetime license is already fully activated since 2 years ago, from the time they were not selling annual subscriptions.

Reactions: Ink and Rengar

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
My vote is no but I must admit that I have have Lifetime licenses and it finds almost finds nothing.
Not Malwarebytes problem it is because I stay away from BAD places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.