Advice Request Is McAfee Anti-Ransomware Free worth having with Windows Defender?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is McAfee Anti-Ransomware Free worth having with Windows Defender?

• Yes

• No

• Other. Why?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
so you think an anti-ransomware is worth it with windows defender?
The question you should ask yourself; Do I keep backups of your files (personal data) and system (OS recovery or imaging)?

In Windows 10 Fall Creators or later, Windows Defender comes with it's own Ransomware Protection (formally Controlled Folder Access), but users suggest it's either buggy, whitelisting doesn't work properly, or not easy to use as comparable products by third-party vendors. There is also no way to remove the pre-defined default protected folders, but if desired, you can add more.

I don't know the technical side of how stuff works, wait for an expert for a better opinion.

As I use Windows Defender, I do not have Ransomware protection enabled.

If you want to continue using Interceptor, read the Disclaimer (it's in pilot).
How to Use Interceptor | McAfee Free Tools

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I personally would not use it. Aforementioned, Windows Defender includes ransomware protection to safe guard your files in case of ransomware attack. If you believe you may be hit by ransomware anytime soon, then you probably need some real time protection and surfing habits change.

I would suggest you enable ransomware protection on Windows Defender, define your protected folders, and pair it up with OSArmor by NVT.

At any case, I never tried this McAfee's product. Still, I tried Trend Micro Ransom Buster and I liked it. If you share it with a friend, you can define as many folders as you want, else only 2. Have a look: Ransom Buster

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I personally would not use it. Aforementioned, Windows Defender includes ransomware protection to safe guard your files in case of ransomware attack. If you believe you may be hit by ransomware anytime soon, then you probably need some real time protection and surfing habits change.

I would suggest you enable ransomware protection on Windows Defender, define your protected folders, and pair it up with OSArmor by NVT.

At any case, I never tried this McAfee's product. Still, I tried Trend Micro Ransom Buster and I liked it. If you share it with a friend, you can define as many folders as you want, else only 2. Have a look: Ransom Buster

Agreed. Make maximum use of WD as it's built-in. Use ConfigureDefender if you're not already doing so. When we had the McAfee paid suite a year ago it was quite heavy but I have no experience with this new free app.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
I am not a fan of McAfee, I think all McAfee programs are very heavy on the system.:giggle:
no they are not anymore... they used to be a lot more heavier in the past....... at list they learned the lesson . about how effective they are i can not tell but sure enough it is not heavy. i have used it for a whole year and have been pretty safe and light

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.