Is Moving From Windows to Linux The Right Choice For You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
To add to the Linux debate.
Linux can do everything Windows does and in some cases it does it more secure, faster and even better.
Yet Linux has not been made for plug and play. In a disrespectful way one could say: Windows is for Dumb people, Linux is for brains.
Windows does the thinking for you, Linux you have to think for it.

Yet with some of the more user friendly distro's out there Linux is really catching up on Windows.
In regards to Smartphones Linux based OS rules, and in terms of Servers Linux is THE absolute number one server OS you will see.
Short said Linux always focused on people who CAN. Windows focused on people who can't.
In terms of software support and driver support Linux is on par with Windows as the old myth about drivers aint true.
Yet what Linux lacks on desktop software it dominates in server software.

Cheers

T

TheSuperGeek

Why Chrome on Linux if you got FF, Opera, Midori lol...
Because a lots of people use chrome on windows, want chrome OS...
And now firefow is too eavy and stalled 3 times per hour on windows.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Chrome also has much stronger sandboxing and overall security on Linux. Of course there is the whole "giving Google data" thing, but Firefox has gone that way too with their newest features. Might as well take the better security if you're giving up privacy anyway.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Uhhm in regards to flash on Linux it does not need to be updated that much as 99% of all problems with windows flash version are not present in Linux... so no point in upgrading it if the updates do not apply for the OS.
In regards to the Browser just use Midori or GNOME WEB. And viola, max speed, super duper security and no additional crap needed.
Linux does not work like Windows. In Windows you do not control the OS or its behavior.
In Linux however you control what Linux does, and how the OS respond. Also its security can be set in such way that Google gets only fake data.
Thats what i love about Linux you are not bound to dictated values... a bit of geekyness and Google or any website for that matter will get fake data about your PC. Anyone knowing Linux runs circles around Windows when it comes to those things...
Configuration power to the max. (Linux at your service by the people for the people, Microsoft "Serve" or BSOD Ill force you to use me..)

Arrrgh the old Linux pirate in me just awoken..

Reactions: Secondmineboy

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
i want to install linux how would i go about this do i jsut store it on a usb drive or external drive and use it as a boot device from my bios?

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
I would love to try and use Ubuntu or Mint again, but sadly, I've always had some driver problems with my switchable AMD Radeon Graphics.. I am using an AMD Radeon HD 6470M and yeah, its switchable with an Intel Graphic Cards 3000, and it was not compatible/working with Linux distros.. Is there any positive changes with this issue?? Thank you! :)

dragonmew

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2013
get a real graphics card not those M/onboard stuff proper GPU's work on any OS as they provide drivers for them i have an ati R7 260x and if you want linux drivers u can get them

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
get a real graphics card not those M/onboard stuff proper GPU's work on any OS as they provide drivers for them i have an ati R7 260x and if you want linux drivers u can get them

I'm asking about a problem of mine and checking if it is solved or not. I did not ask about a comparison or any info about another hardware which I do not have, do not care and give a blap about it,sadly.
Maybe I do not have the enough wealth to "get a real bla bla bla" ? Or maybe, I don't feel that I must change my hardware/laptop in order to use an OS? Maybe not today?
I have to argue against your previous words about a "real" thing.. What is this "real bla bla" kozō? In the universe that I and we live on, we call a "real" thing "real" because of it's very existance. Did you meant that my GPU does not exist? Hmmm... This is something else to argue about, but I do not have the time and patience to explain anything else to... hmmm.. nevermind.

Reactions: Paul B.

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
For a long time, AMD users were SOL in Linux. NVidia has always been more accepting of Linux and didn't adopt the "Windows or die" attitude that most companies had and still do have in many cases. That 3000 is not that old. neither is the 6470. You sure you weren't trying to use Ubuntu with the desktop effects enabled? Because that could have been the issue. In fact, your card/s sits well within the range of the minimum Ubuntu requirements. One of the biggest reasons people choose Linux is because it works so well on old/crappy hardware.

Reactions: Sven
D

Deleted member 178

my GM on warcraft uses linux so your statement is false linux+wine = gaming fun i might switch to linux i hate windows atm due to all the errors im getting and stuff

you have to use Wine , that simulate Windows (i rather dual boot with windows), so basically u still can't really play on Linux ; so im still right.

not to say im was among the first in this forum to reclaim a Linux area , we were 3 Linux users ^^

:D

Reactions: illumination

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2015
I would say the beginner user, or Average user would be the best target user. With Ubuntu mint or a distro like that. An average user, just wants internet, FB office, youtube things like that. And linux is perfect for day to day use. You pop in the disk with those distros and go. Chrome OS has introduced linux to the masses. and a whole lot of people like it. So Regular users to me are the prime audience to draw in. You draw in regular users, that would also begin drawing in others too. but I say average use linux is the best system ever. On my laptop i hardly use anything besides debian.

I

illumination

In terms of security, Linux is much stronger then Microsoft "malware wise".. Hackability, now this is a different story, as there are those that know Linux quite well and how to exploit it "this is of course unless you are a linux Pro", and know how to lock it down so tight you can not operate it, let alone anyone else :rolleyes::D

Seriously though, Linux is definitely a great platform. My only issue with it is the application support differences between different distros.
There are tons of applications to replace windows ones, but i have found, some may work great on one distro, but not on another. There are so many choices in the linux world, that average users get over whelmed, and tend to lean back towards windows.

Driver support is definitely gotten better over time, but still, many times you are using generic drivers in Linux, and missing features you would normally get on windows with the manufacture drivers "which may or may not have a work around in linux". Newer machines may have issues with this, until patches get released at a later date in the kernels.

There are pluses and minuses for both OS platforms.

One thing keeping me leaning towards windows right now is gaming, and as stated, this problem is mostly due to companies then it is linux, for top feature titles not being compatible with Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.