Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Norton has improved a lot with their latest version, so I would recommend it right after Kaspersky and Emsisoft.

I suggest you read reviews from multiple sources and check some youtube videos, for the general opinion of it.

Also try the Trial Version and make your own opinion (extremely important).
Yep Trial version It's a great idea

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Recent update adds another layer of ransomware protection

Feature changes:

Norton 22.11 Product Update available now

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Some recent youtube reviews here

July Test

August Test

September Tests

October Test

Likes - Great malicious/phishing URLs removal. File detection ratio is of mixed results

Some negatives like

slow response (....analysing)
unable to remove some malwares
clunkyness and unpolish in usability
not good against zero-days
not good against keyloggers
above average result against ransomware

Overall - Get a better product

Last edited:

Allena

Level 1
Feb 8, 2018
Norton still regards as the top anti-virus software due to its bellow key features:
  • Provides protection against viruses, spyware, malware, and other online attacks.
  • Maintains your privacy, no matter what device you are using.
  • Avoids unsafe websites and suspicious downloads.
  • Lets you move protection from one device to another.
Moreover, Your browser's performance can be affected if it is infected with a malware. If you have Norton installed on your computer, perform a full system scan to rule out a threat infection. If the scan did not detect any threat, or you cannot perform a scan, recommended that you run a scan using Norton Power Eraser. Norton Power Eraser is a free, downloadable tool that uses aggressive methods to detect threats.

Reactions: amico81

December

Level 1
Jan 18, 2015
I am using Trend Micro, but still trust Norton Security. One thing, I dislike it is Norton can't get along with MS Edge browser... So, I gave it up.

Reactions: frogboy

AB David

Level 1
Mar 19, 2018
The free version of Norton antivirus is very draining on your system’s performance. It tends to control your computer more than it should, and it is full of ads. It is also slow. The paid version, while offering more features, is not necessary and still suffers the disadvantages, minus the part about ads.

I recommend you do not use Norton. My personal recommendation is that if you are running Windows 10, you use the built-in Windows Defender antivirus, coupled with the free version of Malwarebytes.

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, which does not include Windows Defender, I suggest you use the Kaspersky. It is very light, and the ads can be turned off in settings.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The free version of Norton antivirus is very draining on your system’s performance. It tends to control your computer more than it should, and it is full of ads. It is also slow. The paid version, while offering more features, is not necessary and still suffers the disadvantages, minus the part about ads.

I recommend you do not use Norton. My personal recommendation is that if you are running Windows 10, you use the built-in Windows Defender antivirus, coupled with the free version of Malwarebytes.

If you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8, which does not include Windows Defender, I suggest you use the Kaspersky. It is very light, and the ads can be turned off in settings.

Absolutely not true what you are saying.
Norton is very light on the system, great AV / Malware blocking.
Sonar and the Firewall are one of the best around.
I tried KIS and KIS is good in one thing, injecting all the pages you visit, nice for collecting all the data.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Absolutely not true what you are saying.
Norton is very light on the system, great AV / Malware blocking.
Sonar and the Firewall are one of the best around.
I tried KIS and KIS is good in one thing, injecting all the pages you visit, nice for collecting all the data.

The most infected machines I have ever seen are always running Norton. Especially when Fileless malware is involved. One of my guys removed 1,500 pieces of malware/traces from a Norton protected machine last week as a good example. For some reason people think it is way better than it really is.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
The most infected machines I have ever seen are always running Norton. Especially when Fileless malware is involved. One of my guys removed 1,500 pieces of malware/traces from a Norton protected machine last week as a good example. For some reason people think it is way better than it really is.
Endpoint protection ? if so its not configured well.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I have never seen Norton products score badly in AV lab tests.

I look at AV Comparatives, AV Test and SE Labs.

Together with Kaspersky, I'd say it it has been the most consistent performer over a number of years.

Reactions: L0ckJaw
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Endpoint protection ? if so its not configured well.

Consumer Norton not SEP. SEP you can basically lock down as much as you want.

The most infected machines I have ever seen almost always seem to be running Norton.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

The most infected machines I have ever seen almost always seem to be running Norton.
tbh last time i did tests with Norton and SEP in malware hub, both performed the same, with same features/functions
and it didn't perform bad at all.
Norton's signatures are on par with the top ones, but Sonar is weak imo and having it set to the maximum will rape your computer, performance wise.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018

Sorry but i just don't believe you. Maybe a installation that was never updated. I am also an IT Professional and never seen any infection or what so ever.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Sorry but i just don't believe you. Maybe a installation that was never updated. I am also an IT Professional and never seen any infection or what so ever.

You aren't much of an IT Professional if you've never seen an infection.. My guys in the remediation department remove 12,000+ infections a month so we have some pretty nice metrics to go off of. I sometimes post my Norton Horror Stories here with hilarious screenshots of Norton saying a PC is safe and 14 hallow processes running, but this time I didn't bother because I've done it enough. I suppose my posts with screenshots are around here somewhere if I cared to look. But it isn't my job to convince you it's rubbish, just figured I would warn people.

Reactions: upnorth

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
You aren't much of an IT Professional if you've never seen an infection.. My guys in the remediation department remove 12,000+ infections a month so we have some pretty nice metrics to go off of. I sometimes post my Norton Horror Stories here with hilarious screenshots of Norton saying a PC is safe and 14 hallow processes running, but this time I didn't bother because I've done it enough. I suppose my posts with screenshots are around here somewhere if I cared to look. But it isn't my job to convince you it's rubbish, just figured I would warn people.

Did not mean to offend you, offcourse i have seen infections. But never with Norton enabled ;)

I

illumination

That's interesting, as I have found, if users I'm fixing a system for, were running Norton, the main cause of them becoming infected was out of date software if not even expired. Now I have seen many "PUPS" slide by Norton, but for the most part, anything "Unknown" is flagged as so, and addresses this with a prompt and file information allowing the user to determine "which is not always a good thing".

As for Norton being trash, that is a matter of perspective. Norton has one of the strongest Intelligent Firewalls/IPS, Very good signatures, Sonar, and a basic Deny/Default with flagging Unknowns. I have at times placed it through the wringer in the VM, and Norton stood it's own ground.

That said, i'm personally still disappointed in the use of Ask for their Safe Search, and wonder if they ever did away with those damn toolbars..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
I never understood why Norton used Ask for their Safe Search either @PathFinder . Personally, I have used Norton for a long time. I use some other great tools too as one could see if they look at my security config. Some say I am overboard on what I do for security, but I say one cannot be too secure. Just don't play with fire and one will be fine. I think Norton is good, but this is my own opinion. I still test Norton in VMs just to see how it would fair and it fairs good by itself on default settings. Tweaked with some more advanced settings and other stuff that I use I say it’s good.

@ForgottenSeer 58943 I hear you on infections. Indeed, there are some not so great security stories I can talk about KIS, Norton, ESET and the works. It all boils down to good security hobbits. I have seen computers with KIS have a bunch of crud on the computer while the software reports in just fine. Best thing for anyone to do is make sure the software stays updated and use some on demand scanners. That and have some good security add-ons for web browsers.

Great points being made in the tread!

~Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.