Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Norton is on a decline. It hasn't improved anything for a few years. Its web protection has been gettinng worse day by day
This product still has many unresolvable bugs which are very obvious but they never fix them
it's better to use Symantec (not Norton) or other vendors

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Nah..... rumors of Norton's demise and SEPs superiority are a bit overstated.

Look at the last three tests from SE Labs.... where Norton scored, #1, #2, and #3.

SE Labs

I concur with Evjl's Rain in a sense.... the software updates (including the current one) are rarely as interesting or significant as they could be.

But overall, Norton is still a powerful capability.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Pretty good deal today..

Norton Premium price just dropped.

For 10 devices for 15 months, $35 (USD).

https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Secur...qid=1544970374&sr=1-3&keywords=norton+premium

1544970684383.png

E

Eddie Morra

The Symantec endpoint solutions are more fine-grained, optimised, and taken a lot more seriously than the home consumer products under the Norton brand, in my opinion.

I'm a fan of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) and Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (SEPC) but the former is more ideal for manual and the latter is more ideal for automated and when lightness is of importance.

At the time of writing this, you can purchase a monthly-billed subscription for SEPC for $2.50 (1 device) and for a multiple device subscription (up-to 5 devices), it's just under $5. That is extremely cheap for what you're getting and more than fairly priced in my opinion.

Symantec Business Security | Endpoint Protection Cloud

I like the Norton home consumer solutions nonetheless, but they'd be so much better if they were focused on more and given more attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Norton is on a decline. It hasn't improved anything for a few years. Its web protection has been gettinng worse day by day
This product still has many unresolvable bugs which are very obvious but they never fix them
it's better to use Symantec (not Norton) or other vendors

Agreed. Symantec line is WAY better.

Also, I agree on the web protection, it's in a huge decline and this could be in part because of their lack of interest in their DNS service and pretty obvious lack of interest in Web Filtration. The longstanding, never resolved bugs in Norton are a real killer though. But Symantec stuff is nice, and kept more up to date, and has better technology behind it. SEP/SEPC are really good.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

"Market Leaders Symantec and Fortinet Partner to Deliver the Most Robust and Comprehensive Cloud Security Service"
Market Leaders Symantec and Fortinet Partner to Deliver the Most Robust and Comprehensive Cloud Security Service

Symantec is licensing Fortinet Web Filtration and NGFW technology. As part of the deal FortiClient in it's current form will go away, and be replaced with a rebranded and way more powerful Symantec Endpoint Protection that uses Fortinet Web Filtration. Symantec SaaS will utilize Fortigate NGFW technology. So basically, you'll have the best of Symantec and the best of Fortinet available in comprehensive offerings. This is sort of phase one of many more things to come I hear. Talk about exciting eh? This is a huge deal really.

Also, Symantec has some issues - the consumer antivirus market is shrinking - worldwide. This isn't speculation, it's happening. Symantec is aligning itself with a major player in corporate/enterprise in an effort to offset the declining consumer market. The REASON for the decline is varied. Mostly due to Windows Defender actually being decent, a move away from Windows Platforms globally. (Embedded Linux, Chromebooks, Android, iOS, MacOS are the growth markets for consumers).

Symantec & Fortinet Expand Alliance for Stronger Security

Last edited by a moderator:

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Just wondering I am trying symantec there are 5 processes 3 with ids service and ips service ,are these normal processes to have with sep?THks

E

Eddie Morra

Just wondering I am trying symantec there are 5 processes 3 with ids service and ips service ,are these normal processes to have with sep?THks
Process count and which processes are present from Symantec solutions may differ between timing, configuration, etc. as well.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Just wanted to know if I installed the right version of sep ,it was standard client, just have not seen these new ids and idp processes before.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
It's popular to advocate for client-only SEP-C over Norton right now.

I actually run both. I get a couple of SEP licenses comped through my employer.

If I were to choose one or the other, I'd choose Norton.

The protection technologies are virtually identical. Norton is cloud-dependent also.

SEP does, in fact, have more granularity in the way you can adjust certain things...

Now to dispell with the rumors... low probability events...
-No, there is no toolbar in for Norton in Chrome. At one time there was, but the Norton toolbar is no more.. I'm not sure about Edge, Firefox...
-You can easily switch off/on Safe Web, Norton Home Page, Norton Password Manager.. and there are more things you can switch on.
-Having run between 4-8 copies in my household for several years, I can say that in my experience, Norton is among the smoothest AVs I've run... And I've run Kaspersky, Emsisoft, G-DATA, McAfee, Bitdefender, Panda, Avira... and a few others..

And... there are advantages to Norton Premium over SEP-C
-Using the sale price from above compared with SEP-C, Norton costs much less (percentage wise)
-Norton's 25GB cloud storage
-Norton's auto backup, family features, camera protection, online management portal

But, at the end of the day... you should run what makes you happy (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's popular to advocate for client-only SEP-C over Norton right now.

I actually run both. I get a couple of SEP licenses comped through my employer.

If I were to choose one or the other, I'd choose Norton.

The protection technologies are virtually identical. Norton is cloud-dependent also.

SEP does, in fact, have more granularity in the way you can adjust certain things...

Now to dispell with the rumors... low probability events...
-No, there is no toolbar in for Norton in Chrome. At one time there was, but the Norton toolbar is no more.. I'm not sure about Edge, Firefox...
-You can easily switch off/on Safe Web, Norton Home Page, Norton Password Manager.. and there are more things you can switch on.
-Having run between 4-8 copies in my household for several years, I can say that in my experience, Norton is among the smoothest AVs I've run... And I've run Kaspersky, Emsisoft, G-DATA, McAfee, Bitdefender, Panda, Avira... and a few others..

And... there are advantages to Norton Premium over SEP-C
-Using the sale price from above compared with SEP-C, Norton costs much less (percentage wise)
-Norton's 25GB cloud storage
-Norton's auto backup, family features, camera protection, online management portal

But, at the end of the day... you should run what makes you happy (y)

IF Norton will even install.. The whole connection to server bug is still around and still annoying people - that bug dates back at least 5 years. SEPC does not have this bug, it's in some ancient module in Norton that uses Internet Explorer to connect over a dated TLS back to the Norton servers which more often than not, fails. (it's prevalent enough to be one of the higher search results for Norton bugs)

Cannot connect to the Norton server - Google Search

SEPC uses fully encrypted channels of communication and encrypted update channels. Norton doesn't. This is very important in the function of an AV and I cringe when AV's use plain text communications(80) for everything. It actually makes them incredibly open victims of interdiction and hijacking.

SEPC also has less processes, less bloat, a slower more concerted update cycle (avoiding Norton's flawed, rushed updates). SEPC is the cleanest Norton experience available. The password manager, safe web, backup, optimizers and other rubbish are totally absent. If you want a pure AV experience, SEPC is the answer.

For those reasons I would recommend the 1 User (5 Device) $49 a year package over Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.