Question Is There a Way to Fix Malwarebytes Browser Guard Extension Memory Leak?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
I really like to use Malwarebytes Browser Guard, but every time when I check my task manager I find something like this:

Taskmgr_2024-05-21_17-53-43.png

It appears with every browser lunch and didn't close when I close the browser, is there a way to fix it?

Reactions: Zartarra

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Why do you think this is a "memory leak" issue?

While this behaviour of spawning several processes is unusual, it doesn't to me seem like a memory leak issue. Take into account memory leak occurs when a program allocates memory but "forgets" to give it back after used. In your case, it seems like the extension is creating new instances of itself, the question is why.

How many tabs do you have open? Is it possible MBAM Browser Guard is creating a new instance of itself for each tab?

All in all, it looks like a bug to me. Consider submitting a report.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
I'm not a staff member of Malwarebytes but for staff to look into this issue they may need system logs to look at how the system is behaving consider creating an account and posting on the forums they will help you. i do not have access to your system internals nor the bug logging tools support has to assist you.

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Why do you think this is a "memory leak" issue?

While this behaviour of spawning several processes is unusual, it doesn't to me seem like a memory leak issue. Take into account memory leak occurs when a program allocates memory but "forgets" to give it back after used. In your case, it seems like the extension is creating new instances of itself, the question is why.

How many tabs do you have open? Is it possible MBAM Browser Guard is creating a new instance of itself for each tab?

All in all, it looks like a bug to me. Consider submitting a report.
I miss understood the issue, it is exactly as you described it, I just open the browser for a seconds and close it again, this is what happened, in the last two tries, the browser itself didn't close and continue to running in the background.

I think it is a bug too, but I saw it previously and want to check if it is still exist.

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I miss understood the issue, it is exactly as you described it, I just open the browser for a seconds and close it again, this is what happened, in the last two tries, the browser itself didn't close and continue to running in the background.

I think it is a bug too, but I saw it previously and want to check if it is still exist.
I recommend doing as @nickstar1 suggested, either sending an e-mail submitting a report or creating a thread in their forums. Either way, they will probabaly ask you for some logs to identify the issue.

lokamoka820

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
Dropped Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chromium browsers. Edge -> smartscreen on, Chrome -> Bitdefender TrafficLight.

In Edge and Chrome you get one or two of these every time you close the browser:
View attachment 267752

I noticed I had about 25 of them running. Disappeared with reboot or with running Malwarebytes.

Smartscreen is fine for Edge as my main driver, and Trafficlight covers Chrome just fine as I rarely use it. I've not seen this issue with Firefox, which is my #2.

Here is the same problem again.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
I really like to use Malwarebytes Browser Guard, but every time when I check my task manager I find something like this:

View attachment 283461

It appears with every browser lunch and didn't close when I close the browser, is there a way to fix it?
Hello! I understand your concern about the memory leak issue with Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension. Memory leaks can be frustrating, but there are a few things you can try to address this problem:

1. **Update Malwarebytes Browser Guard**: Make sure you are using the latest version of the extension. Developers often release updates to fix bugs and improve performance.

2. **Clear Browser Cache**: Sometimes clearing your browser's cache can help resolve memory issues. This can be done through your browser's settings.

3. **Disable and Re-enable the Extension**: Try disabling the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension, restarting your browser, and then re-enabling it to see if that helps.

4. **Check for Conflicting Extensions**: Sometimes conflicts with other browser extensions can cause memory leaks. Try disabling other extensions one by one to see if the issue persists.

5. **Contact Malwarebytes Support**: If the issue continues, you can reach out to Malwarebytes support for further assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps or a fix for this issue.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the memory leak problem with Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.