Advice Request Is there antivirus with similar banking protection than F-secure has?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Is there antivirus or any other tool with similar banking protection that F-secure has? F secure automatically detects banking site and opens up bankin protection..

Products i have tested that have banking protection :
- avast > need to open avast and select banking protection ( manually everytime)
- Trend micro > click banking protection.exe on desktop to enable banking protection

My parents use F-secure and i updated 2 laptops to windows 10 from 8.1, was a nice surprise that F-secure had kept them safe..

Why im asking this , is because sometimes F-secure is blocking page while doing payment, thats because the url is too long (Spam)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I've never used any of these types of software, but I've heard of the following products:
Thanks @Ink

Kasperskys new version isnt yet available in Finland, otherwise i would give it a go

Bitdefender is the one im probably tryin out soon

Sometimes its just easier to have automatical protection than manual one, since sometimes elders just wont learn

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Just realize that in Safepay, there is no option for a virtual printer, to save PDFs to your Documents, Desktop etc. to print later. It only prints from a USB connected printer of the documents within Safepay itself.

safepay settings.jpg

Doesn't Avast offer the protected banking feature? I believe it also, like Safepay, loads outside of the Windows environment?

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Doesn't Avast offer the protected banking feature? I believe it also, like Safepay, loads outside of the Windows environment?
Avast used to have banking protection with their safe browser only, but it got updated like a week ago

Nowadays you have to open up avast, select banking protection manually and it opens up ( no need for avast browser anymore)

I was only looking for automatical detect of banking website and seems eset, bitdefender and f-secure atleast have it

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Kaspersky in peaceful times without war - the KIS version (when I used it) also had this. It automatically detected banking sites. I suspect that in the latest paid versions it continues to do the same.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks @Ink

Sometimes its just easier to have automatical protection than manual one, since sometimes elders just wont learn
Quoted from Bitdefender Internet Security 2022 review | TechRadar
"Many other security vendors also claim to have similar secure browsers, but Bitdefender goes further than most. Safepay makes real efforts to isolate itself from other processes on your PC, running on a separate desktop and preventing screen grabbers and keyloggers from recording what you're doing.

We checked this by setting up a custom keylogger of our own, and using a commercial screen capture tool to take snapshots of our activities every 15 seconds. Safepay worked perfectly, with no recorded keystrokes and plain white screenshots only.

Bitdefender has considered long-term storage, too. Once the session is closed, Safepay clears all temporary files and leaves no trace of our activities.

Much like the safe browsing competition, Safepay doesn't support installing third-party extensions, as they open you up to many more privacy problems. But it does have a handful of useful built-in extras, including a virtual keyboard as an extra defense again keyloggers, and a pop-up blocker to protect you from web trickery.

Safepay isn't just some throwaway extra, then - it's a real highlight of the suite, and using it for the most confidential web tasks could go a long way to keeping you safe."

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Thanks @Ink

Bitdefender does tend to be more of a "set it and forget it" AV, not a lot of geek tweaking. Just disable some of the pop-ups ( especially Recommendations and Special offers) to help quiet it.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Bitdefender does tend to be more of a "set it and forget it" AV, not a lot of geek tweaking. Just disable some of the pop-ups ( especially Recommendations and Special offers) to help quiet it.
Thats what i installed to my sisters laptop as its set & forget..

Im gonna buy Bitdefender total security tomorrow, and set it up on all family devices(y)

Adrian Ścibor

From AVLab.pl
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2018
If I may, a banking protection from F-Secure is much different in the background than Kaspersky has, Bitdefender or Avast :) They have developed different ways to protect users when he uses bank websites:

F-Secure: uses know-well bank websites in the world to temporarily deactivate/block other network connections as long as you are on the bank website. Very effective against malware hidden in the background, hijacked processes (if undetectable for antivirus, HIPS, etc).

Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Avast uses some kind of virtualization: Online Banking with Safe Money Technology | Kaspersky

Except that, these software uses anti-keylogging, anti-phishing, anti-malware filters to prevent against fake websites and other technologies.

I hope we can prepare in 2023 security test to check effectiveness of banking features protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thats what i installed to my sisters laptop as its set & forget..

Im gonna buy Bitdefender total security tomorrow, and set it up on all family devices(y)
I recommend running the full length of the Trial version.

F-Secure: uses know-well bank websites in the world to temporarily deactivate/block other network connections as long as you are on the bank website. Very effective against malware hidden in the background, hijacked processes (if undetectable for antivirus, HIPS, etc).

Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Avast uses some kind of virtualization: Online Banking with Safe Money Technology | Kaspersky

Except that, these software uses anti-keylogging, anti-phishing, anti-malware filters to prevent against fake websites and other technologies.

I hope we can prepare in 2023 security test to check effectiveness of banking features protection.
Looking forward to it. It will be interesting to know whether or not, users can still get phished/scammed using these types of products.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
As @Ink mentioned, I would highly suggest running the Trial version of Bitdefender. It at times can get a little glitchy, so just make sure everything runs smoothly during the trial period. Also, any other previous real-time security would have to be totally uninstalled first in order to install Bitdefender, including MBAM.

Reactions: Nevi and Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
As @Ink mentioned, I would highly suggest running the Trial version of Bitdefender. It at times can get a little glitchy, so just make sure everything runs smoothly during the trial period. Also, any other previous real-time security would have to be totally uninstalled first in order to install Bitdefender, including MBAM.
Yeah trialling it will be better... i have F-Secure license so im gonna mess with it tonight to see if banking works for me on sites that i had errors with..

Trendmicro also has a "pay guard."
You have to run that pay guard first > it opens up session
Its better if banking session opens up automatically when you visit banks website as elderly family members might forget to start up banking protection first

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Yeah trialling it will be better... i have F-Secure license so im gonna mess with it tonight to see if banking works for me on sites that i had errors with..

You have to run that pay guard first > it opens up session
Its better if banking session opens up automatically when you visit banks website as elderly family members might forget to start up banking protection first

You're going about things carefully and thoughtfully :) (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.