Advice Request Is there any product to monitor file changes for malware examination?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
I thought that Shadow Defender had this feature but I was wrong. I was using this app that will 'remain nameless' for good reason.
It is labelled as a trojan/malware on many lists but I haven't seen any malicious actions. I would love to have some software to
monitor file/registry changes to examine suspect files in the future. The small company who makes this app swears up and down
that it isn't malware.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I thought that Shadow Defender had this feature but I was wrong. I was using this app that will 'remain nameless' for good reason.
It is labelled as a trojan/malware on many lists but I haven't seen any malicious actions. I would love to have some software to
monitor file/registry changes to examine suspect files in the future. The small company who makes this app swears up and down
that it isn't malware.
It would help if you would name the software. There is a lot of software that is not malicious that is wrongly detected as malware.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
No, SD hasn't a feature to monitor/analyse changes in virtualised disk - that's the role of apps that can do this by ways like this:
- HIPS that monitor core system files, settings and areas...they are the answer to question "what and how changes are made"
- apps like FileChange Alarm that monitor in real time changes in chosen location (files, folders, disk)
- apps that can compare two states of system and/or disk (files and registry entries) e.g. befor and after installation...this is feature of e.g. System Explorer
Both two last kind of apps answer the question "what was changeded.
- and apps that monitor currently worked apps/processes that answer question "what new is appeared in my system".
Of course there are apps that offer mixed featured and can be more helpful.

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
I sent the software through some online analysis sites and there wasn't anything concrete that would prove it is malware. Just some methods they used to keep their software from being pirated. @Cortex I'd never use Office 365 btw :p

Reactions: roger_m

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I am not sure if what I am going to say helps or just pure nonsense but what if you install Ashampoo Uninstaller or any other uninstaller that allows you to take snaps of the system (created files and registry entries)?

Reactions: klepto

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.