Troubleshoot Is there anyway to get rid of Internet Explorer permanently?

Artaz

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2014
you can uninstall it by going to control panel , then programs and then turn windows features on and off . take the tick off from it and press ok

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Internet Explorer is built-in to Windows, so it can never be completely removed. You can disable / turn off IE from the Windows Features panel, located in Control Panel > Program and Features. This will uninstall IE components, but make sure you have another browser installed, yet you'll be browser-less.

You should see a windows as such:
> Uncheck Internet Explorer
> OK and reboot your PC
upload_2014-9-25_12-3-14.png

Upvote 0

Kent

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 4, 2013
i dnt use internet explorer is there anyway to uninstall it permanently?
No,it is impossible to uninstall it on Windows OS.If you have IE9 after uninstalling it will revert to IE8,IE 8 uninstalled will revert to IE 7 or 6 and so on................

Reactions: Razor555
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Kent You're partially correct, but you cannot downgrade IE lower than what the OS was shipped with, unless it was installed via Windows Update (ie. Windows 7 SP1 supports IE11)
  • Windows Vista shipped with IE7
  • Windows 7 shipped with IE8
  • Windows 8 shipped with IE10
  • Windows 8.1 shipped with IE11
If you uninstall IE11 on Windows 7, it will revert back to IE8. To turn off IE, you have to Disable it via Windows Features.

Reactions: Kent and Jack
Upvote 0

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I seriously think it isn't a good idea uninstalling IE. Why do you want to uninstall it? IE was built and integrated into Windows itself and to remove it, like some people have mentioned, you have to go about cleaning up its traces all around your system (such as in the registry etc. ) That can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and you can cause system instability.

Upvote 0

RodneyHustle

Sep 22, 2014
I seriously think it isn't a good idea uninstalling IE. Why do you want to uninstall it? IE was built and integrated into Windows itself and to remove it, like some people have mentioned, you have to go about cleaning up its traces all around your system (such as in the registry etc. ) That can be pretty dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and you can cause system instability.

Thats a good tip. Just wanted to add something to it. From personal experience, my mother in law had a nasty spyware on her desktop that was damn near impossible to remove. It took uninstalling Chrome, (my mother in laws favorite browser), to finish removing it. I wouldn't have had anything to download Chrome again if I would have removed it. It would be wise to have it as a backup in case you need it sometime. Its not going to hurt to disable it since you don't use it. Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: Kent
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.