Advice Request Is this a trap or security risk ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Yes it is just a random letters and numbers for a gift card code.

Can they know my Amazon account if I take it ?
Nope they can't see who redeems it. Nor does Amazon honor any requests to refund/reverse "accidentally" sent gift card codes.

I don't think this one is very scammable, but note that the same cannot be said about money, while we're on that subject: I received a money transfer from a stranger. Where’s the scam? | Kaspersky official blog

Namely, with cash/bank transfers, it's a common scam for a stranger to send you money and then say it's a mistake and ask you to send it back. Then, they cancel that transaction with the bank. You'll see the original balance reversed by the bank but legally speaking, because you sent them the money back, you authorized that transaction and cannot get your money back.

If someone accidentally sends you money via Paypal, Venmo, Apple Pay, etc etc, don't send it back to them, that's for them and their bank to deal with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.