Is Windows 10 really this slow?

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@ssaurabh2008 hey what about this? did you try it?

what so slow? everything?

I believe everything. OP's new computer have 4GB RAM and 7200 rpm hdd. Windows 10 OS consume more or near 2GB RAM so that left OP not enough to run browser and basic applications. When OP's computer run out of RAM, Windows will switch to OP's 7200rpm HDD for virtual ram or pagefile and that is when OP going to experience a major slow down. In addition, OP's new computer has a 9 years old processor Phenom 2 x4 840 compare to OP's old computer with i5 8250u that will destroy the 9 years AMD processor.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you haven't already, it's recommended to link your Microsoft Account to the Windows 10 OS for the Digital license entitlement. This means you can use your account when re-installing the OS. No product key entry required.

However, I'm unsure if the license works when you switch Storage drives. Check before swapping HARDWARE, otherwise it will cost an additional 100$

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If you haven't already, it's recommended to link your Microsoft Account to the Windows 10 OS for the Digital license entitlement. This means you can use your account when re-installing the OS. No product key entry required.

However, I'm unsure if the license works when you switch Storage drives. Check before swapping HARDWARE, otherwise it will cost an additional 100$

Windows license key tie to motherboard so you can swap cpu, ram, gpu, and storage drive no problem.

ssaurabh2008

Level 1
Thread author
May 14, 2020
@ssaurabh2008 hey what about this? did you try it?

what so slow? everything?

I did check disabling the Kaspersky.
There was no difference in the performance, so I enabled it again after couple of restarts.

But today, the laptop performance (program launches, file copy, explorer) has improved considerably.
Looks like increasing the virtual memory has done the trick.

I believe everything. OP's new computer have 4GB RAM and 7200 rpm hdd. Windows 10 OS consume more or near 2GB RAM so that left OP not enough to run browser and basic applications. When OP's computer run out of RAM, Windows will switch to OP's 7200rpm HDD for virtual ram or pagefile and that is when OP going to experience a major slow down. In addition, OP's new computer has a 9 years old processor Phenom 2 x4 840 compare to OP's old computer with i5 8250u that will destroy the 9 years AMD processor.

There is some confusion.
My old desktop pc has AMD 840 processor, 4gb RAM and 7200 rpm HDD running on Windows 7
My new laptop has i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 5200 rpm HDD, running on Windows 10

Anyway, as I said in my previous reply, the performance has improved considerably now, after increasing the virtual memory.
I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again for all the help. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.