Question Is Windows 11 so broken that even Microsoft can’t fix it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft has just made a pretty remarkable admission, essentially conceding that it doesn’t have a solution for some Windows 11 problems.

As Neowin reports, some people using Windows 11 and Windows 10 have found a bug which prevents the Start menu, Windows search bar and some Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps from starting or working correctly.

It appears that the bugs coincide with damaged registry keys and data related to Microsoft Office apps, and apps that are integrated with Office software, as well as Windows and Outlook.

The bugs don’t affect everyone, but those who are encountering them first noticed something wasn’t right back in January of this year. If you were hoping that during that time Microsoft had figured out how to fix the problem, then I have some bad news for you.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
This article discusses a bug in Windows 11 and Windows 10 where some users are having issues with the Start menu, Windows search bar, and certain apps not working correctly. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem but has not yet found a solution, and it seems to be related to damaged registry keys and data associated with Microsoft Office apps and Outlook. The issue was first reported in January of this year, but there has been no fix yet.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
That action centre lag seems like necessary modules are unloaded from memory, namely from explorer which runs the Windows Shell, including action centre an taskbar. I’m not aware of anything that can be done on user side to prevent this from happening. How frequently does this happen, is it only after reboot?

It can be confirmed if necessary modules are not preloaded correctly but loaded at runtime. Open task manager and make sure it’s always on top. Click on Action Centre and observe if memory usage by Explorer will go up.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That action centre lag seems like necessary modules are unloaded from memory, namely from explorer which runs the Windows Shell, including action centre an taskbar. I’m not aware of anything that can be done on user side to prevent this from happening. How frequently does this happen, is it only after reboot?
After reboot, after booting from shutdown, after waking up from sleep and also after using device for some time without interacting with action centre.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
After reboot, after booting from shutdown, after waking up from sleep and also after using device for some time without interacting with action centre.
Yeah looks like some poor garbage collection/memory management. It can easily be fixed, not sure if MS is aware. It may be with low priority on the already diverse list of issues.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah looks like some poor garbage collection/memory management. It can easily be fixed, not sure if MS is aware. It may be with low priority on the already diverse list of issues.
It's not a new issue. There are several feedbacks in Feedback hub, several reddit and MS support threads about this same issue.

Edit: In all this while trying to record the issue, I finally figured out how to capture only a portion of desktop or a window in OBS.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
It's not a new issue. There are several feedbacks in Feedback hub, several reddit and MS support threads about this same issue.

Edit: In all this while trying to record the issue, I finally figured out how to capture only a portion of desktop or a window in OBS.
The snipping tool (or was it snip and sketch) can record a portion too. I used it when I recorded these tests. I am experiencing an issue where third-party firewalls from time to time are reported as disabled. At first I thought it is ZoneAlarm which I now have installed on the testing machine and play with (I never used it so it’s interesting to me) but I see Avast and Norton also are reported disabled.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
apple_logo_PNG19689.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The snipping tool (or was it snip and sketch) can record a portion too. I used it when I recorded these tests. I am experiencing an issue where third-party firewalls from time to time are reported as disabled. At first I thought it is ZoneAlarm which I now have installed on the testing machine and play with (I never used it so it’s interesting to me) but I see Avast and Norton also are reported disabled.
any relation to what my win10 win firewall service stopped and permanently disabled by ESET (according to MS) about 2 weeks ago...??

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
If I (or anyone with right amount of knowledge) start to customize Windows to my own needs, I could make it 10 times better than any Linux/Unix/macOS variants that there are. Just use what you want or like, there is no point in arguing over this kind of difference. :)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
If I (or anyone with right amount of knowledge) start to customize Windows to my own needs, I could make it 10 times better than any Linux/Unix/macOS variants that there are. Just use what you want or like, there is no point in arguing over this kind of difference. :)
You will never get the optimisations or security of Mac. Or the quality apps built-in.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The irony of your comment.

“Use what you want, but Windows is better”.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
You will never get the optimisations or security of Mac. Or the quality apps built-in.
As for the optimization and security, yes you can. As for the apps, the build-in ones are often mediocre (in Windows ecosystem) but you can choose to install whatever you want, with the possibility to find one's that are equal (or better) than the apps on Mac (of course there are exclusions) .
Truth is that this is a huge and detailed topic. But Windows is (as most of the others) a great and customizable system, and people seldom look at it in that way.
I am biased toward it (based on my expertise), to the degree I loved 'AmigaOS - Workbench' once :).
And in an enterprise I am all for the Windows environment.
But as far as the OOBE experience ... MacOS is a clear winner (though the only reason that is the fact is a closed hardware configuration politics).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.