Question Is Windows 11 so broken that even Microsoft can’t fix it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Still having this issue with defender......GUI is all messed up anyone else?

Attachments

• windows.png
    windows.png
    126.4 KB · Views: 82

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...Windows is (as most of the others) a great and customizable system...

I cut my teeth on MSDOS and early Windows stuff and it was awesome, but, IMO, it all fell to pieces with Win95, and though you are right, I believe, with regard to customisation, its full of holes.

Mostly rushed, cobbled together and after almost forty years of development, still eminently corruptable.

Surely, surely, they could have tightened-up security by now, everyone else has.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

The non-elite (or in some cases, not my case, elite), low budget club...

View attachment 275538
When Windows 10 is EOL, I will give Linux a go, tried Mint and Kubuntu. I am still a bit disappointed of the loading time of Firefox and Libre Office, it is so slow compared to Edge and Office 2016. Also my mother board is t old for M2.SSD. I put in an M2.SSD using a cheap PCIe converter card. Credits to Windows10 it uses it own drivers to make available this PCIEe-M2 SSD. All Linux distro's I tried don't recognize this small SSD (it s only 128 GB with a poor 750 write and 1250 read speeds, but I use it as Temp Folder and Edge User Folder)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
As for the optimization and security, yes you can.
Yes you can what?

Everybody knows Apple software and hardware are created for each other. Apple devices retain performance for long (not to say for the whole lifetime), have long battery life. Apps fire up swiftly (Safari for example takes milliseconds). The whole user experience emphasises minimalism, speed and functionality that is down-to-business, feels complete and allows you to do your work from start to finish, close the app and forget about it.

What will you optimise and customise on your Windows system to get the optimisation (performed by developers on a programming level)? You will optimise garbage collection in memory, multi-core operation, you will distribute tasks yourself to the appropriate CPU block, you will add GPU/NPU acceleration to a programme?
Or you will install a “Tune UP” a-la Iolo System Mechanic?

As to the security tweaks, how you will make sure only curated and notarised apps are run? How will you add all the security layers explored here:

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When Windows 10 is EOL, I will give Linux a go, tried Mint and Kubuntu. I am still a bit disappointed of the loading time of Firefox and Libre Office, it is so slow compared to Edge and Office 2016. Also my mother board is t old for M2.SSD. I put in an M2.SSD using a cheap PCIe converter card. Credits to Windows10 it uses it own drivers to make available this PCIEe-M2 SSD. All Linux distro's I tried don't recognize this small SSD (it s only 128 GB with a poor 750 write and 1250 read speeds, but I use it as Temp Folder and Edge User Folder)
I have Zorin on VM (another Irish flavor), best Linux I've ever used. It just works, and intuitive for folks coming from windoze.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Yes you can what?

Everybody knows Apple software and hardware are created for each other. Apple devices retain performance for long (not to say for the whole lifetime), have long battery life. Apps fire up swiftly (Safari for example takes milliseconds). The whole user experience emphasises minimalism, speed and functionality that is down-to-business, feels complete and allows you to do your work from start to finish, close the app and forget about it.

What will you optimise and customise on your Windows system to get the optimisation (performed by developers on a programming level)? You will optimise garbage collection in memory, multi-core operation, you will distribute tasks yourself to the appropriate CPU block, you will add GPU/NPU acceleration to a programme?
Or you will install a “Tune UP” a-la Iolo System Mechanic?

As to the security tweaks, how you will make sure only curated and notarised apps are run? How will you add all the security layers explored here:
Everything you said in regards of the optimization/security is a tip of an iceberg. There is a ton of documentation and sources of learning material... the road for learning is paved by thousands of experts, and well presented. Windows as an open environment is a great system (with so much more room fore further development).
To make the secure tower from a Windows OS is not a hard task.
Hermetic environment (macOS) is easy to control and maintain, but the comprehension of security starts when you open the door to your world/OS/country/closed set...
I do admire (in a sense) macOS for what it is... but Windows is a different kind of thing (for better and worse).
Philosophy is different as it is their construction (...and I said I am biased, but also versed)... therefore my statement that people should use what they want/need/like more.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 11 users are also experiencing an odd bug with SATA hard drives that has already been witnessed plaguing Windows 10 (and indeed Windows 8.1 and 7).

Neowin reports that Microsoft let us know this problem affects Windows 11 via a support document that discusses the glitch, and advises users what can be done about it.

The bug causes an internal SATA drive – this can affect both hard drives and SSDs that are installed inside your PC via a SATA connection – to be detected as removable media in the Windows taskbar, as opposed to a permanently attached drive (which, of course, it very much is).

Microsoft explains: “Whether or not a device is considered removable is determined by your system’s BIOS and how it marks the various SATA ports on the motherboard.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
The non-elite (or in some cases, not my case, elite), low budget club...

View attachment 275538
Not really..I have seen many who owns systems twice the amount of what MacBook pro costs and prefer to run Linux on it. My daughter have a macbook air M1 but I prefer my desktop with fedora than the M1. Infact imho macos Ventura is very much inferior to fedora, the only positive I see is the quality of hardware the Mac possess, the software part is just crap.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Not really..I have seen many who owns systems twice the amount of what MacBook pro costs and prefer to run Linux on it. My daughter have a macbook air M1 but I prefer my desktop with fedora than the M1. Infact imho macos Ventura is very much inferior to fedora, the only positive I see is the quality of hardware the Mac possess, the software part is just crap.
Been a while since I’ve been a Fedorian, but the Linux apps don’t shine with some particularly amazing quality. Also, Linux is not amazing on high-end hardware. For example graphic cards drivers are a mess.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I am in the same situation. Once I tried openSUSE Tumbleweed, I never looked back.
I just have a windows 11 vm to see the new things in the windows world but I will never use it again as my main system.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Been a while since I’ve been a Fedorian, but the Linux apps don’t shine with some particularly amazing quality. Also, Linux is not amazing on high-end hardware. For example graphic cards drivers are a mess.
Yes, it was in the past, but it's is far better now. Most distributions have default support for Nvidia graphics cards, many of them comes with nvidia Proprietary drivers or it's just one terminal cammand away from installation.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Reports that Windows 11 is broken beyond repair are nonsense — here's why
Despite what a recent article suggests, you don't need to take a baseball bat to your PC.

Windows 11 and Windows 10 have a bug that can prevent the Start menu, Windows Search, and UWP apps from opening. The issue can affect apps that use Microsoft Office APIs to integrate with the Office suite, your Outlook calendar, or Windows itself. ClickShare is one app that can run into problems because of the bug, though several other applications could be affected.

The bug is outlined in a document from Microsoft. Issues like this appear occasionally, and we often cover them. People should know what could cause problems on their PC after all. But sometimes, outlets add confusion and conjure fear when covering reports of bugs. That appears to be the case with a recent piece by TechRadar titled "Windows 11 is so broken that even Microsoft can't fix it."

The strapline of that article doubles down on the fear-inducing headline, stating that "Microsoft admits there are Windows 11 problems it just can't fix." For the record, Microsoft has not "admitted" this or even said anything close to that.

Official Microsoft documentation states, "we are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release," which hardly seems like a statement from a company admitting it can't fix a bug. I'd argue it's the opposite. Microsoft seems reasonably confident it will resolve the issue and ship a future update.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
The original post includes direct quotes from Microsoft. The original post is also some kind of share with Neowin. I posted this originally for laughs, a fluff piece.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The original post includes direct quotes from Microsoft. The original post is also some kind of share with Neowin. I posted this originally for laughs, a fluff piece.
And sometimes we don't find out the other 1/2 of the story until it gets more internet postings, attention, proving or correcting things :) You did good, my friend :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.