Advice Request Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft is trying to convince everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, and after offering the operating system free of charge in the first 12 months of availability, the company is now trying a different tactic aimed directly at Windows 7 users

The firm says that Windows 7 has “outdated security,” explaining in a blog post that only Windows 10 can deal with today’s security threats and no matter how hard you’d try, you still can’t make Windows 7 just as secure as this latest Windows version.

The post was made on the company’s German blog, which is a bit surprising given that no English version was published, but it still shows that Microsoft is already preparing its arsenal for moving users off Windows 7.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers.”

Windows 7 end of support
Judging from third-party data provided by market research firms, Windows 7 continues to be the number one operating system on the desktop, despite the aggressive push for Windows 10.

Windows 7 is now running on nearly 48 percent of PCs worldwide, while Windows 10 is the runner-up with about 24 percent. While Windows 7 indeed lost market share because of the arrival of Windows 10, it’s still the dominant operating system on the desktop, running on nearly 1 in 2 PCs across the globe.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in January 2020, Microsoft doesn’t want to experience another Windows XP moment, so it’s starting the struggle to upgrade users a lot earlier. Although Windows XP no longer receives updates since 2014, it’s still running on 9 percent of the world’s PCs.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Nah, i´ll stick with Win7 to 2020! Call me conservative but i don´t like Win 10 nor did i like Win 8! Use it in av VM environment only to be able to help my dad out who´s using 10.
Unintuitive is my take on Win 10 but that can be caused by me not adopting and using it, who knows?:p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am already on Win 10 Pro x64
But I disagree that Windows 7 is in such a shape that the masses should gleefully run
into the arms of Windows 10. It's not so degraded that a good config couldnt secure it.
If MS says otherwise, the are straight up Lying to your face and insulting your intelligence.
Period. ;)

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I'm happy with Windows 10, having upgraded during their free offer. I have a lot of friends though who dont want to move from Windows 7. They basically work on the premise, if it works don't fix it, and many dont like the plain look of Windows 10 (though I'm beginning to). Windows 7, being still the most popular O/S is going to be targeted more by hackers and scammers than Windows 10, but it is up to Microsoft to counter this. They can't just abandon Windows 7 users to attacks.

I should think the upgrade will happen anyway, as people buy new PCs and these have Windows 10 installed.

What they need is what they term a 'killer' app, an app that people can't do without, and so will upgrade to get it, but unfortunately so far I haven't seen one in Windows 10. I guess they thought Cortana was going to be it, but frankly, digital assistants just aren't good enough yet, and a bit of a gimmick you soon tire of.

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I'm hoping they don't end support to Windows 7. I feel they should be getting business to upgrade to Windows 7 and getting people to upgrade from older operating systems instead of ending support.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
No, I might upgrade before January 2020.

I think Windows 7 is the best operating system for the traditional PC (desktop/laptop). Microsoft is trying to push the idea of one OS for all the platforms, and the result was not so attractive for many users. Moreover, Windows 7 gives me more control over updates and I personally prefer it's UI (Aero) over the Modern UI.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I am using W10 at present.
Ok for XP but saying that Seven is outdated is a half-truth.
Malware infects Windows 10 and Seven without problems.
I agree on the increased safety of W10, without a doubt, but the new implementations do not represent the absolute distinction.
I see marketing and business ... just that.

U

uncle bill

10 is better for me, but i hope Microsoft won't get Google way and make Windows another operating system ads and user tracking centered, and i'm sure they won't do that on their server operating system so i'm ready to switch to if it's going to happen.

Reactions: DardiM
U

uncle bill

Ok for XP but saying that Seven is outdated is a half-truth.
There's been a huge change in windows kernel switching from 7 to 10 (do you remember about Kaspersky complaint on Microsoft?) which makes things more difficult for the bad guys but, as always, there' s no operating system and no software bug free so 10 is not different from 7 if you look at it this way.

Reactions: DardiM and tim one
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.