Advice Request Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft is trying to convince everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, and after offering the operating system free of charge in the first 12 months of availability, the company is now trying a different tactic aimed directly at Windows 7 users

The firm says that Windows 7 has “outdated security,” explaining in a blog post that only Windows 10 can deal with today’s security threats and no matter how hard you’d try, you still can’t make Windows 7 just as secure as this latest Windows version.

The post was made on the company’s German blog, which is a bit surprising given that no English version was published, but it still shows that Microsoft is already preparing its arsenal for moving users off Windows 7.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers.”

Windows 7 end of support
Judging from third-party data provided by market research firms, Windows 7 continues to be the number one operating system on the desktop, despite the aggressive push for Windows 10.

Windows 7 is now running on nearly 48 percent of PCs worldwide, while Windows 10 is the runner-up with about 24 percent. While Windows 7 indeed lost market share because of the arrival of Windows 10, it’s still the dominant operating system on the desktop, running on nearly 1 in 2 PCs across the globe.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in January 2020, Microsoft doesn’t want to experience another Windows XP moment, so it’s starting the struggle to upgrade users a lot earlier. Although Windows XP no longer receives updates since 2014, it’s still running on 9 percent of the world’s PCs.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Anything when a new version of Windows is released then the older one already been declared outdated.

Technically true as in terms of vulnerability attacks where Windows 10 managed to reduce those high severity risk due newly implemented security mechanism.

Although Windows 7 on the other hand is definitely a great OS experience, the successor of XP's simplicity ;).

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
People and companies are still using Win XP and they worry about Win 7. For home users it is relativly simple to upgrade to newest MS OS. On the other hand large companies have to upgrade a lot of other hardware like printers, scaners and other machines that doesn't suport Win 10. For some companies that could be tens of milions of dollars not to mention problems with setup of all that hardware. If they want everyone to jump to Win 10 then why they left so long period of support for Win 7?

Security vs cost of upgrade.

Reactions: DardiM and AtlBo

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Technically true as in terms of vulnerability attacks where Windows 10 managed to reduce those high severity risk due newly implemented security mechanism.
Yes and no. For OS, you are right. For third-party developers (everyday applications), you'd be surprised but some features are poorly implemented (clarification: in a way that lowers your expectations, claims of protection by that vendor) in W10 compared to W7.

For now, it is better to keep W7 as long as it's supported (patches & compatibility of system in general).

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Win 10 still has it's own childbirth hickups and with todays rapid introduction of new versions of the same software without much testing is not very convincing in terms of what is more secure. Older but tested or new improved but not completely tested.

Reactions: DardiM and AtlBo
W

Wave

Overall Windows 10 is much more secure than Windows 7; exploiting built-in OS features such as User Account Control on Windows 10 will also be much trickier, it wasn't as difficult on Windows 7 to completely bypass it. I remember when you could manipulate some flag variables in memory to trick UAC on Windows 7 to stop it from showing any alert, haha.

Another example would be the system processes such as csrss.exe... Since Windows 8 and on-wards, they are much better protected since processes like csrss.exe are being protected from kernel-mode, meaning you can no longer open a handle to them just by acquiring debugging rights (SeDebugPrivilege) which can then be used for injection attacks - a nice little path for a rootkit working from user-mode, and this could have been abused to bypass AV self-protection mechanisms entirely from user-mode since csrss.exe has an open handle for all running processes, therefore if you can inject code into it (e.g. inject a DLL) then you can scan for the handles the process has open and once you've found the handle for the specific product, you can use it with NtTerminateProcess (or just call TerminateProcess which will call NtTerminateProcess in the end anyway) to terminate it, or NtSuspendProcess/inject with NtQueueUserAPC, etc).

Therefore, Windows 10 is much more secure, since it contains the added security from previous newer OS versions seen in Windows 8 like the one mentioned above.

It's not obsolete, but if you work with Windows Internals and study things like rootkit development, you'll clearly see that Windows 10 is much more beneficial in terms of security (even Windows 8).

Even PatchGuard was updated a lot for Windows 10 and it's much better now than it used to be on previous OS versions. Performing Windows Update patches on Windows 7 won't give you the new PatchGuard updates, which is good at keeping your OS Kernel structures protected against manipulation (for example). Rootkits have more opportunity on older OS versions.

However, overall, Windows 7 was also one of my favorite... Probably because it was much more lightweight which gave it a quick and slick feeling.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I'll be using Windows 7 until I can't any more. After that I don't know yet, but Linux is something I'm starting to play with on an extra laptop I have. So far tried Linux Mint and will have a go at Debian eventually.
Getting so very, very tired of MS and this type of thing.
This Rick and Morty parody someone made with Mr.Jelly bean sums it up very well.

stepic

Jan 30, 2017
No I might upgrade sometime after January 2020

To be honest Win7 is/was great for me, I also tried out linux for a few months, but due to the need of constantly dual-booting to use my favorite apps, I decided to switch back to win7. I would like to upgrade to win10, but I'm kinda worried about the automatic updates, telemetry and all that stuff from win10, I know you can disable some of the features, but from what I've read online you still cant block them all off from sending data to microsoft. Or maybe I'm an idiot and just didn't read a good guide on how to make it 100% as win7 in regards to updates and privacy stuff.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
No. OpenDns is now a Cisco owned company. OpenDns logs all dns traffic. You need to purchase their Umbrella dns security service which does cost a fair bit of money to gain any real advantage against security threats like malware and exploits and phishing. Normal OpenDns dns servers don't offer much protection.

There are much better privacy focused dns severs out there that don't log your data and are run by people outside of USA control.

Reactions: AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.