Advice Request Is Windows 7 Really Outdated?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft is trying to convince everyone to upgrade to Windows 10, and after offering the operating system free of charge in the first 12 months of availability, the company is now trying a different tactic aimed directly at Windows 7 users

The firm says that Windows 7 has “outdated security,” explaining in a blog post that only Windows 10 can deal with today’s security threats and no matter how hard you’d try, you still can’t make Windows 7 just as secure as this latest Windows version.

The post was made on the company’s German blog, which is a bit surprising given that no English version was published, but it still shows that Microsoft is already preparing its arsenal for moving users off Windows 7.

“Windows 7 is based on outdated security architecture,” Microsoft says. “Companies and users who won’t upgrade from Windows 7 within the next three years are facing enormous dangers.”

Windows 7 end of support
Judging from third-party data provided by market research firms, Windows 7 continues to be the number one operating system on the desktop, despite the aggressive push for Windows 10.

Windows 7 is now running on nearly 48 percent of PCs worldwide, while Windows 10 is the runner-up with about 24 percent. While Windows 7 indeed lost market share because of the arrival of Windows 10, it’s still the dominant operating system on the desktop, running on nearly 1 in 2 PCs across the globe.

With Windows 7 support coming to an end in January 2020, Microsoft doesn’t want to experience another Windows XP moment, so it’s starting the struggle to upgrade users a lot earlier. Although Windows XP no longer receives updates since 2014, it’s still running on 9 percent of the world’s PCs.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
by definition an OS shouldn't need to be protected, it should be secure by default; now since Windows is always targeted, making it secure is quite a difficult job unless rewriting it from scratch with a multi-user separation model (a la Linux).

Windows 7 (home) is by default very weak in term of security compared to Windows 10. So i won't advise Average Joe to stay on Windows 7 but rather move to the most "secured-by-default" OS.

Well,I'm coming from a business perspective.

While I ensured the future of some PC/laptops on my company with Windows 10,Windows 7 is the one to go for me.(for now)

We're still running some old software and we had to downgrade to accommodate some new "Win10 ready" equipment.Pretty sure that we'll be ready by the end of the year.

In the Home aspect,I concur.Updated is the way to go....(As long as it's stable)

D

Deleted member 178

Well,I'm coming from a business perspective.

While I ensured the future of some PC/laptops on my company with Windows 10,Windows 7 is the one to go for me.(for now)

We're still running some old software and we had to downgrade to accommodate some new "Windows 10 ready" equipment.Pretty sure that we'll be ready by the end of the year.

As i said earlier, the OS must fit the user's need (ot more accurately, the user need to choose the oS that fit its needs), in a business perspective , compatibility with the company needed tool is top priority.
You won't upgrade to the latest OS if your 250 000$ licensed sofwares aren't working.

D

Deleted member 178

@monsterturckpa what you describe are exactly what people said when Win7 came to replace XP. complains about design, updates, resource usage, etc...you critics are, like many i see, just usability/design-oriented , not mention about core improvements of security and stability of the kernel.

And sorry but updating Win7 is a real mess, i had more issues with win7 during years of use than with win10 which i never had any.

I did a test installing Wn10 & Win7 on 2 machines simultaneously:
Windows 7 - Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
@monsterturckpa what you describe are exactly what people said when Windows 7 came to replace XP. complains about design, updates, resource usage, etc...you critics are, like many i see, just usability/design-oriented , not mention about core improvements of security and stability of the kernel.

And sorry but updating Windows 7 is a real mess, i had more issues with Windows 7 during years of use than with Windows 10 which i never had any.

I did a test installing Wn10 & Windows 7 on 2 machines simultaneously:
Windows 7 - Windows 7 better than Windows 10, really?
Oh yes, the update bug where it just stucks and nothing happens ur whole life. U need to manualy download a updates when updates is disabled, than restared and than update again. Windows 7 update is just hell broken and they dont even care to fix it, for a long, long! time.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

@Janl1992l Exactly but Win7 lovers seems to forgot all the issues Win7 had; every upgrade of Win10 i did went smoothly, no BSODS ; i cant say the same with Win7 Service Pack's updates...

With Win10, you have more chance to have a out-of-the-box working machine, with Win7 , just hope you had the proper network drivers, if not...you are good to go to a cyber cafe to download them...

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I haven't spent much time with Windows 10, but reality I agree with all is that Windows 7 updates kinda sucks. Remember those patches that creates boot-loops.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

that's is your opinion ..Awesome, we must congratulate you,
you are the first to say that everything is perfect in that system.
Only you said it is perfect, not me; and off course nothing is perfect in this world. but to me Win10 perform better (not perfectly) , that is it.
And yes, all is about opinions, i did my tests on my machines, and gave my results and yes it works flawlessly on my machines. No BSODs, no corrupted drivers, no update loop , no nothing compared to my experience fixing numerous Win7 systems.

So please don't distort my words.

,Windows 10 looks tablet.
it was the goal...welcome in 2017

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
i have windows 7 sp1 -32-64bit iso udpate january By Generation2, every year i download new iso updated, without problems, I do not know what are you talking about, All working perfectly, Connect to the microsoft update server perfectly, my driver lan-network recognize fine, download and perfectly install all the pending updates. windows 7 its better for me. resources and space, I have external security, not in the system, so i do not worry so much with windows7, not bring silly apps. Windows 10 looks tablet.
Try to install Windows 7 without any updates or sp. Than try to update it with windows. It will not work correctly and stucks on searching. there are plently of threads u can find on google.

D

Deleted member 178

For security sake, i only download ISOs from MS, not from unknown guy who tempered with the ISO, sorry but i don't trust them.
I installed dozen of Win7 , every time the same update "eternal loop" whatever the machine, and it only updates when i did some workarounds or installed some offline installer as you suggested.
Updates are the most basic and important feature, the average user should only click the "update" button, not googling for workarounds; if they have to do , means the OS is flawed and unsuited for non-geeks; especially for an old OS, if it was the newest one , i would understand (new OS, new mechanism, new issues, etc...).

Win10 have many issues as Win7 had at its release (and i don't complain about that , it is normal) but it must not have those one any after 10+ years of development ! ,
The process of updating is far more reliable in Win10 (optimized files delivery, etc...). you click , you get the updates; now does those updates creates issues after installing is another topic. but at least i got my updates.
I did hundreds of clean installation of Win10, never get issues to get the update as with Win7.

Sorry but in business you sell a product that work out of the box, not after tweaking it...

Win7 has its good points as well as bad points , and Win10 is the same but at least basic needed features are working right away, now the quality of the updates (i point drivers) is another topic .
I don't talk about design and usability because it is just a matter of taste and subject to the user appreciation. only about core mechanisms.

Off-topic: can you refrain posting GIF at every posts (one or two from time to time is ok, not every replies), you have words to express your feelings.

D

Deleted member 178

I went to Windows 10 as soon as it was available. I always said no way would I upgrade to Windows 10 but not one regret so far. ;)
In fact most people that dislike Win10 , never really used it, they installed it, played with it 1 or 2 days (if not even less), had hard time to find a specific button as in Win7 ; then reformat and reinstall Win7 or else and say "i tried Win10 , it suxx" ; just laughable...Remember those people were the same trashing Win7 when it was released...:rolleyes:

reboot

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2017
To make it easier to understand Microsoft's blog post perhaps we should answer the question: Which OS is most likely to become more secure over time… Windows 10 or Windows 7?

D

Deleted member 178

To make it easier to understand Microsoft's blog post perhaps we should answer the question: Which OS is most likely to become more secure over time… Windows 10 or Windows 7?
Obvious answer...Win10.
Look since MS added protection to the kernel (aka patchguard) since Windows 8, many security softs disappeared from the market (Defensewall, Geswall, etc...) or are unable to cope with Win10 and need workarounds to guarantee a bit of efficiency and usability (Sandboxie, Comodo, Zemana Anti-logger).

If you read some MS articles, they keep saying they will increase security in Win10 (virtualization for Edge, BB for enterprises, etc...) ; basically , they say "3rd party vendors, we dont need you anymore..."

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

you trust your friends , good for you, i dont know them, i dont trust them. I only trust myself and official sources. Not custom ISOs coming from nowhere.

This is not paranoia, that is carefulness.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes and no. For OS, you are right. For third-party developers (everyday applications), you'd be surprised but some features are poorly implemented (clarification: in a way that lowers your expectations, claims of protection by that vendor) in W10 compared to W7.

For now, it is better to keep W7 as long as it's supported (patches & compatibility of system in general).

Exactly :), third party developers are well known to determine the reliability of the program from OS to other OS; of course the concern is not just on security part.

In performance wise and least of problems then definitely Windows 7 over Windows 10.

Windows 10 is optimized for newer/modernized specifications of computers.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
From a security standpoint and compared with W10 i think W7 is outdated.
But for me that doesn't mean much.
Safe browsing habits is my best line of defense.
Now to compare the 2 OS.
I have also installed W7 Home Premium on the 2nd partition.
I am using it for about a week.
What i can say for sure is that it stresses my old laptop a lot less that W10.
Much better CPU usage from W7 and as an extra it's also using less RAM.

W10 is great in my opinion, very secure OS and as a matter of taste i really like it.
But as a matter of taste i like W7 more and most important it'a better OS ( from a performance perspective ) for my old laptop;)

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.