Battle Is your processor the best ? (AMD VS Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
AMD-vs-Intel.jpg

Which processor are you using and how it is better than the rival ?

Reactions: Sloth and JakeXPMan

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
My Laptop is having i5, my old desktop is having AMD.

Both are good. I choose AMD on my desktop because I was little tight on my budget on that and I rarely use it. But still I wanted to have a powerful desktop ;).

But I can tell you one thing both are very good. Never felt any single problem in either one of them.

MagicTrout

Level 1
Verified
Jun 20, 2015
According on numerous benchmarks, Intel high end flagship processor are always in the lead in terms of categorical benchmarks which been thoroughly proved not just on PC and Laptops but also on some smartphones like ASUS where its processor incorporates from them, but in such other flip side AMD may have in the lead.

The price are vary but there's nothing wrong to choose between two of them, as long you conduct a research and satisfy from its result.

Other thing to incorporate are cores which should help in the performance.

GHZ in highest numbers are not always the highest in the benchmarks, everything are varies on the component of processor.

That's the problem with AMD processors. They have these high specs like ridiculous clock speeds and 6+ cores and a high cache memory but the problem is is that AMD hides the fact that these processors have poor instruction sets as opposed to a Intel processor which means benchmarks of AMD processors are around the same level if not lower than an Intel processor

Reactions: McLovin

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Budget wise AMD is a good option, since you get more cores at affordable price which is good for highly multi-threaded apps. AMD cpu design is outdated whilst comparing intel's. Older hardware seems to take a major performance hit against newer architecture.
For laptops, I prefer intel though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Buying a CPU isn't about getting the best on the market. And tomorrow's CPU undoubtedly will be better than today's.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
It will boil down to price actually.
The performance gain on Intel high end CPUs vs AMD's high end CPUs is usually barely noticible for the average user and even gamer. When I say gamers, I am referring to users who have rigs that run TITANS SLI or high end AMD Graphic Cards, 32gb RAM, SSDs etc.

On low end systems however AMD is slightly behind on Intel tho again considering hardware specs of all components, user cannot pinpoint much difference.

mid range is on equal level.

So yeah high end AMD tends to be cheaper than Intel's i7's for example.

Power consumption is not the only thing. What people tend to forget is that there are motherboards that are built for each type of brand and others that support both but are more inclined to be performing better to one than another.

I own the 2nd gen Intel i7 and 4th gen Intel i7 for laptops. If I'm simply comparing its processor capabilities, not much difference aside from price range, but if I compare the 2 systems as a whole, my ROG is twice as better than my XPS 17 custom made.

this should clarify the general misconception.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Tyrizian

Level 1
Verified
Sep 9, 2015
I am a fan of both, so I really can't say one is better than the other.

But, this is the way I see it.

AMD = Decent performance CPU's, more affordable.
Intel = Best performance CPU's, possibly at a higher cost.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I think AMD are cheaper but not as reliable
Intel which are more expensive but more reliable and will last longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Today: Always Intel
10 years ago: Always AMD (they were on top)

Ah the old fight between Intel Pentium and AMD Athlon...

AMD won because its better FPU (floating point unit) , for now it is intel the leader for low-medium end specs machines.

Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.