Advice Request Is Zonealarm a worthwhile solution?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
definitely (y) kaspersky signatures and a strong proactive firewall (i have experience with the free version).

Impact is noticeable, but not to heavy. this AV would be my choice of paid av's after eset and norton.

and for the free version.....i would say that it deserves more attention.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It's a good solution. But ... I don't know if the engine you use is from the latest version of K. It seems not, it's an earlier version, but I'm not sure,:unsure:... maybe someone here in MT knows.
I used it a long time ago and it was something heavy, I don't know how it is now.:giggle:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It's a good solution. But ... I don't know if the engine you use is from the latest version of K. It seems not, it's an earlier version, but I'm not sure,:unsure:... maybe someone here in MT knows.
I used it a long time ago and it was something heavy, I don't know how it is now.:giggle:
I'm pretty sure that they use an older version of the Kaspersky engine too. And, for any paranoid users keep in mind that Check Point who make Zonealarm is an Israeli company. That doesn't bother me personally, but when the Intel flaws were discovered I'm sure that I read somewhere that Mossad had something to do with it. And, as most people will know Mossad is Israeli intelligence services and possibly the very best intelligence service in the world which also receives and shares data with US and UK intelligence services. It's nothing for us regular users to worry about, but depending on your line of work Zonealarm may not be the best choice for enterprise use. I've used it and it seems pretty good, heavy ish but good. And I'd have no problem using it now I just know some people are paranoid about Nation state security services such as GCHQ here in the UK, CIA, NSA and Mossad.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Product wise it is OK.
Haven't seen "Threat Emulation" in action , they call it their Proactive Guard (Internet is mandate)
In the tests i done, the system is horribly silently infected (TE-Doesn't seem to to work for all extensions at least).
Basically it is mug of "all 3rd party components" built in them.
Personally i say no ,, Threat emulation needs a lot of work

Faxx

Sep 7, 2017
But ... I don't know if the engine you use is from the latest version of K. It seems not, it's an earlier version, but I'm not sure,:unsure:... maybe someone here in MT knows.
You cannot really compare as it is a separate line in Kaspersky development (SDK development). If you really want to compare the engine is equivalent to the latest Kaspersky business line.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure that they use an older version of the Kaspersky engine too. And, for any paranoid users keep in mind that Check Point who make Zonealarm is an Israeli company. That doesn't bother me personally, but when the Intel flaws were discovered I'm sure that I read somewhere that Mossad had something to do with it. And, as most people will know Mossad is Israeli intelligence services and possibly the very best intelligence service in the world which also receives and shares data with US and UK intelligence services. It's nothing for us regular users to worry about, but depending on your line of work Zonealarm may not be the best choice for enterprise use. I've used it and it seems pretty good, heavy ish but good. And I'd have no problem using it now I just know some people are paranoid about Nation state security services such as GCHQ here in the UK, CIA, NSA and Mossad.

Agreed, plus I'm boycotting anything Israeli for political reasons.

Last edited:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I think you get a better Firewall with either Symantec or Eset, Symantec in particular has a Firewall option to block all traffic until Firewall starts and after Firewall stops ,Eset Firewall passes (what I call cursed metal test) Home - Test Your Metal by Fortinet Symantec just blocks it, all other I have tried ,including Zone firewall Pro, Fails , Also I think the program is a bit overpriced,but Zonealarm has or had a guarantee you will not be infected or money back.gl

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
has a Firewall option to block all traffic until Firewall starts

TinyWall 2.99.xx Beta is free/donation-ware and has this:

(from @ultim)

"So, here it is, another major and important new feature: Boot-time filtering. This means starting with this release, with TinyWall there is not a single point in time where your firewall rules are not in effect or not filtering. All filters are active even before TinyWall's service starts up, right from the get-go when the IP-stack is initialized during early boot. This is yet another step-up from the standard Windows Firewall, which does not have this."

Built on Windows Filtering Platform, it's very near release-ready. (y) (y)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
TinyWall 2.99.xx Beta is free/donation-ware and has this:

(from @ultim)

"So, here it is, another major and important new feature: Boot-time filtering. This means starting with this release, with TinyWall there is not a single point in time where your firewall rules are not in effect or not filtering. All filters are active even before TinyWall's service starts up, right from the get-go when the IP-stack is initialized during early boot. This is yet another step-up from the standard Windows Firewall, which does not have this."

Built on Windows Filtering Platform, it's very near release-ready. (y) (y)
Sounds good ,glad your on the know,Thanks for the info,seems like this should be a option for all firewalls,???

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.