Troubleshoot I've tried everything, but it's not working :(

Infected operating system
macOS Mojave 10.14.2
Infected device issues
1) "Managed by your organisation" on Google Chrome -- I followed a thread on here that gave tips on what to do, and I did that too (going to the go menu and deleting certain files, but there was nothing there)
2) Changing the homepage on Safari doesn't seem to work either :(
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Safari
  2. Chrome
Browser Settings: Homepage and Default Search Engine
Google Chrome

Danie

Thread author
Apr 26, 2020
Hi, I've been following your step by step guides for both Safari and Google Chrome, even to the point of deleting files, uninstalling Chrome then reinstalling it again. I've also downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes to scan for threats, yet I still can't seem to fix some things. These are..

1) "Managed by your organisation" on Google Chrome -- I followed a thread on here that gave tips on what to do, and I did that too (going to the go menu and deleting certain files, but there was nothing there)
2) Changing the homepage on Safari doesn't seem to work either :(

Really hoping to find permanent solutions to these problems :( thank you, and hope you're safe!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @Danie ,

Let's see what's going on:

STEP 1: Let's check if there any malicious profiles installed on your Mac:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
  2. When the System Preferences window opens, search for the Profiles icon.
    If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, which is normal and you can continue with the next steps.
  3. If there’s a Profile icon, click on it and select any suspicious profile that you want to remove, and then press the – (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

STEP 2: Run a scan with Malwarebytes

1. Please download Malwarebytes for Mac Free Edition.
  2. Double-click Malwarebytes-Mac-4.x.x.x.pkg and follow the prompts to install the program.
  3. When your Malwarebytes installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
  4. Click on the Get started button.
  5. Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
  6. When the scan is finished click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
  7. Reboot the computer if prompted to complete the removal process.

STEP 3: Reset Chrome policies

1. Open a new Terminal window: Finder > Go > Utilities > Terminal
  2. Enter the following commands, pressing enter after each line:
    Code:
    defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false
    defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"
    defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"
    defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL
    defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL
    defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName
    defaults delete com.google.Chrome ExtensionInstallSources
  3. Next, let's reset Chrome to its default settings
    1. On your computer, open Chrome.
    2. At the top right, click More (the 3 vertical dots) > Settings.
    3. At the bottom, click Advanced. Under "Reset Settings," click Restore settings to their original defaults > Reset Settings.

Let me know the results for each step.

Danie

Thread author
Apr 26, 2020
Step 1: No profiles installed
Step 2: Ran a scan and there were no threats found
Step 3: Entered the commands on Terminal, although it kept saying "Domain (com.google.Chrome) not found"
Step 4: Reset Chrome to default settings

still no change when it comes to "Managed by your organisation"

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, can you please perform the below steps.

1. Quit Chrome
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu
  3. Type or copy/paste the following path into the window that opens, then click Go:
    /Library/Managed Preferences/
  4. Look for the following files, where [username] is your username. When you find them, move them to the Trash.
    • com.google.Chrome.plist
    • [username]/com.google.Chrome.plist
    • [username]/complete.plist
Check if this solved the issue and then report back.

Danie

Thread author
Apr 26, 2020
Tried this as well, but there are no files when I typed up "/Library/Managed Preferences/"

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, let's completely remove Chrome and all data, then reinstall the browser. Before doing this be aware that this will delete all data for all Google apps you have installed, such as your bookmarks, so you will need to export them before doing this (chrome://bookmarks/
and then
3 dots on the blue bar in the top-right corner
and then
Export bookmarks).

1. At the bottom of your computer screen, in your Dock, right-click Chrome.
  2. Select Quit.
  3. Open Finder.
  4. Go to the folder containing the Google Chrome application on your computer.
    • Tip: It may be in your Applications folder. If not, go to File
      and then
      Find, and search for "Google Chrome."
  5. Drag Google Chrome to the Trash.
  6. Delete all of the below folders:
    1. At the top of the screen, click Go
      and then
      Go to Folder t
      hen paste one of the below paths into the window that opens.
You will need to delete all of the below folders and files:
  • /Applications/Chrome.app
  • /Library/Application Support/Google/
  • /Library/Google/
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Google/
  • ~/Library/Google/
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist
Note: The “~” indicates that it’s the current user’s Library which is often invisible in recent versions of macOS. To get to it you must hold down the Option (sometimes labeled Alt) key down and select Library from the Finder’s Go menu.

After deleting all of the above files, restart your computer. You can now download and re-install Google Chrome on your device. You can now import any exported bookmarks or other data and may need to reinstall any other Google apps that you use.

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
did all that, still the same as before...
Can you please check again if the ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist file was removed. After you've reinstalled Chrome it's still saying that is managed?

Reactions: upnorth

Danie

Thread author
Apr 26, 2020
When I searched it, nothing came up. And yes, after uninstalling and reinstalling chrome, it still says its managed

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
When I searched it, nothing came up. And yes, after uninstalling and reinstalling chrome, it still says its managed
You've used the Go to Folder feature and browsed to that folder, not just used the search function, right? Also can you please restart your computer.

Can you please type into the Google Chrome URL bar chrome://policy/ and let me know what you are seeing.

Reactions: oldschool

Danie

Thread author
Apr 26, 2020
Hi, still no progress and now even with double checking and trying to tinker with my settings, Chrome/Safari can't find my camera or microphone anymore. I've checked all the permissions on both my computer and browsers, the only reason I can think its not working is because my browser's "managed" which is already a problem.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
If you use the private computer (not configured by an administrator in your work), then the symptoms strongly suggest two cases:
  1. Security application, for example, Antivirus.
  2. A malware (probably PUA).

See the video:

There are many articles available on the Internet.

Missvibe

Jul 17, 2020
@Andy Ful thanks for your links. I'm totally aware that it is some kind of malware that I have, but I have difficulties getting totally rid of it. Right now a have been able to deactivate it, BUT when I restart my computer it's on again. So the malware is still on my computer somewhere........so irritating!!!

Reactions: Andy Ful

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful thanks for your links. I'm totally aware that it is some kind of malware that I have, but I have difficulties getting totally rid of it. Right now a have been able to deactivate it, BUT when I restart my computer it's on again. So the malware is still on my computer somewhere........so irritating!!!
Have you checked that it is not related to the security application or the web browser security extension?

Reactions: catjc

Vivek_Batra

Dec 4, 2020
Hey Everyone,
I tried each and everything in this thread but my chrome stills says "Managed By Our Organization". This is so frustrating, Did anyone found some kinda solution to this issue?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Reactions: oldschool

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hey Everyone,
I tried each and everything in this thread but my chrome stills says "Managed By Our Organization". This is so frustrating, Did anyone found some kinda solution to this issue?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Do you use Avast antivirus?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.