File and Photo backup
None
System recovery
Windows Restore

Jack Aubry

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 22, 2018
Consider, UAS (USB Attached SCSI), USB3 removable drives no longer enumerate under USBSTOR in Windows 10
If you are using home made protection against unauthorized use of USB drives and smartphones,
such as:
switching start value of USBSTOR and WINUSB services to 4 (for USB drives and smartphones)

Then, you should do the same for: UASPSTOR

Note, That new devices will change the start setting back to 3 if the inf file access is not managed.

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Personally, i think you should consider some extensions like Ublock, HTTPS Everywhere and i'm sure others will give you more suggestions (y)

Consider using a SUA (standard user account) and back up your data either to a cloud or an external device and try to get into a habit of doing it on a regular (ish) basis as if you are unfortunate enough to get an infected machine then that could save your data, likewise for creating system back ups. There are a few free programmes out there that work very well for that, i personally use Aoemi but there are others out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Personally, i think you should consider some extensions like Ublock, HTTPS Everywhere and i'm sure others will give you more suggestions (y)

Consider using a SUA (standard user account) and back up your data either to a cloud or an external device and try to get into a habit of doing it on a regular (ish) basis as if you are unfortunate enough to get an infected machine then that could save your data, likewise for creating system back ups. There are a few free programmes out there that work very well for that, i personally use Aoemi but there are others out there.
Please link to uBlock Origin the original from Raymond Hill: gorhill/uBlock
Another option could be AdGuard: AdGuard AdBlocker Browser Extension | Overview | AdGuard

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Important, you need a backup solution. My advice would be to try Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper.

Extensions wise uBlock Origin or Nano Adblocker as a starting block, you can add any other extensions you like after.

Second opinion scanners I'd suggest ZAM Free, EEK and/or MBAM solely for PUPs. If you know there's an infection or PUP on your system (which MBAM free misses) use NPE and ADWCleaner for PUPs.

~LDogg

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Jack Aubry: please kindly consider:
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and Norton Power Eraser, and MalWareBytes 4 Windows Free.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices, and not only in cloud.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may add a VPN service, and some browser extensions (already mentioned uBlock Origin or AdGuard & HTTPS EveryWhere).
  • A PassWord Manager would be welcome also.
  • Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here.
Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Please consider on demand scanners like Malwarebytes, hitman pro etc. and also please use a system image backup software , don't rely on system restore only as it may not help in some cases.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.