Advanced Security Thales' Config 2024

Last updated
Oct 27, 2024
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
Kaspersky free High sensitivity settings
OSA
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
Custom security settings
GPO: Bitlocker (256 bit encryption)
Periodic malware scanners
Defender
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
None
Browsers and extensions
Edge
Protonpass
Adguard
Secure DNS
Dns0
Desktop VPN
Nope
Password and passkey manager
Biwarden
Porotonpass
Maintenance tools
Wise Disk Cleaner Free (Auto clean-up daily)
File and photo backups
2 offline backups
Proton Drive (200GB)
Google Photos

Nordlock and MEGA for password backup
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Easus backup
Freefilesync
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Ryzen7 5700x
64GB DDR4
RTX 3090 24GB
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

I tried to organize my emails and recovery options.

All phone recovery options have been removed everywhere (I use codes or backup email)
Backup email: Outlook is better than gmail because it has alias with the login option disabled
Deleted unused Emails (remained 3, 1 google and 1 outlook + 1 outlook for backup only)

Work in progress
I have encrypted backups (both online and offline), but I’m not a fan of the setup since they use the same password as my password manager. It makes sense because everything in it is plain text. The backups are encrypted with BitLocker or VeraCrypt, but I’m still not completely comfortable with this method.
Maybe I should use a keyfile or something like that.
 
Temporarily, I've switched back to using my Admin account.
I’m migrating from Google Drive to Proton Drive. Initially, I faced some issues and inconveniences, and I realized that Proton Drive isn't as suitable for storing photos as Google Photos is.
So, I’ll continue using Google Photos exclusively for storing photos.

Free plan Nordlocker and Mega is for storing password backup only.

I'm still working on my backups.
Using PIM sounds like a practical choice. PIM can add an extra layer of protection without the added risk of losing or corrupting a keyfile and I don't need another password to remember.
 
I want to ditch Google, but it’s tough because, in my opinion, Google is very user-friendly.
  • Proton Calendar: Awesome—better than Google Calendar.
  • Proton Mail: My main concern is that people often don’t know to type "proton.me," so you might miss emails and this is my main concern. It also lacks rule options and other features.
  • Proton Drive/Photos: Syncing photos via iOS is a joke. You have to keep your phone’s screen on, and even then, it’s slow due to the encryption. They’ve been aware of this issue for a long time (Proton Drive iOS background uploads).
  • Outlook Calendar: Honestly, it’s a joke. It looks bad and lacks customization options.
  • Outlook Mail: Still the best, in my opinion. It’s secure, offers free aliases, and people are familiar with the "outlook.com" domain.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top